- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Eight

Christmas revolved around Jake. For Jake's sake I put on a happy face. For Jake's sake, I made small talk with Lauren, all the while hating her perfect body, her perfect face, and how damn good she was with Jake.

I won't deny I was relieved the day that Nick and Lauren left. I could go back to moping. "Let me know what you decide about L.A.," Nick had said before they left. I had made the mistake of mentioning the possible transfer. Nick had jumped at it. After all, that would bring him closer to Jake. Jake had clung to his leg while Nick swayed awkwardly in the door. Lauren was already waiting in the car. "I can help you find a place."

"Thanks," I said noncommitedly. I pulled Jake off of his leg and took care of the immediate meltdown.

"I WANT MY DAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDYYY!" Jake had wailed for hours on end. By the time he went to sleep, I was raiding the fridge.

Jar peanut butter and Hershey's shell syrup was an amazing combination.

It was the first night of a new daily routine for me. I would wake up, go to work, gourge, finish work, pick up Jake, give him a decent dinner, gourge, give Jake a bath, put him to sleep, and spend the evening devouring a bag of mini candy bars.

I spent New Years' watching the Backstreet Boys on Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years' Eve. Nick looked amazing. God did he look amazing. I noticed (admittedly, with a little satisfaction) that he didn't get the chance to kiss Lauren as the ball dropped.

Just like I didn't have Kevin to kiss.

Sometimes...sometimes when it got really bad, I regretted breaking it off with him. Those were the nights when I told myself that he had only made a mistake.

Luckily, I never acted on those weak moments. My mom had fallen into that trap for years. The outcome was a messy divorce.

I wasn't putting myself through that. I couldn't. It would have hurt Jake.

The desire to do the best I could for Jake was what finally prompted me, late in January, to agree to the L.A. transfer. It would happen quickly.

Two weeks, to be exact.

I hadn't wanted to ask Nick for help, but the alternative was to call my mom or sister. I didn't want to beg for a favor.

They always made me beg.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"More dead fish floated up on the banks of Lake Michigan!" I called out from the living room. I turned back to my laptop.

"You're going to drive yourself nuts!" Lauren called.

"I just want to be prepared!" I replied. I picked up my mug of green tea and took a sip, my eyes scanning the article.

A second later, Lauren poked her head around the corner. She smiled.

"The world can't end in 2012. That doesn't give us a lot of time to get married and have a baby."

I choked on my tea. After hacking a half a lung, I looked at her bleary eyed. "Who said we're making muffins so soon after we get married?" I asked. "Should I be worried about the tic-tacs again?"

Laur laughed. "Shut up." Her eyes sparkled. "But y'know. Maybe the baby would be the savior. The savior from the APOCALYPSE."

I smirked. "You laugh now, but when you're growing three heads because of nuclear exposure..."

"What if I grew three vaginas?"

My eyes flew south. I couldn't help it. "That would be all sorts of awesome. How about you show me the one you got for now and I'll double-check my awesome meter?"

"NICK!"

I couldn't help it; I tossed my head back and laughed. She ran and tackled me. I swung her over my lap. Her arms looped around my neck and I sighed happily into the sweet watermelon scent of her skin.

The scene had all the playings of a possible vagina show whenthe phone rang. Lauren grabbed the handset and shook it at me.

"Shay."

Lauren wiggled on my lap as I answered.

"Hel-LO?"

The 'Lo' came out as a squeak. I was shaking my head at Lauren as she slid her hand between my hip and the cushion. She pinched my butt. "Nick?"

"Hey Shay," I said. I batted at Lauren. She took my hand and pressed it to her chest. My mouth fell open.

"I just wanted to let you know that I agreed to a transfer."

I could feel Lauren's nipples harden under my fingertips. Her hand slid from my ass up under my shirt. I sucked in a breath.

"A transfer?" I asked in confusion. I couldn't concentrate. Lauren was making slow circles around my bellybutton, her fingers teasingly shooting towards my belt. Her butt pressed into my erection.

"Yeah, they're actually sending me out to L.A. in two weeks."

"Wow," I said dumbly. Lauren mimicked the word 'wow' and stuck one finger of her free hand into her mouth. She turned in my lap, straddling my waist.

I could barely breath.

"Do you--do you think you might be able to find an available apartment? I need something affordable..."

Lauren yanked her shirt off. My fingers ran along the lacy see through bra. I brought my lips to the scratchy material and just breathed.

"Nick?"

Crap.

"An apartment?" I repeated, unsure if I had heard her right.

"Yeah. I can e-mail you the address of the new building I'm working at. Maybe something close by?"

Lauren bounced lightly. My face was sandwiched between heaven and I was pretty sure I was going to split the zipper of my jeans. I hooked my free arm behind Lauren and sent us both down on the floor. Her hair fanned out around her head just the way I liked it.

"That would be great," I said. At the moment, everything was great. Especially the sight of little thong strings sticking out over Lauren's jeans. I took one in my teeth and snapped. She moaned and grabbed me through my denim.

I had to get off the phone.

"I'll call you later tonight," I promised.

"Tonight? So soon?" Shay sounded surprised. And grateful. I was about to be grateful too. In just a second. Lauren was unzipping me. I wanted her hands all over me. I wanted--

"Thanks, Nick."

Thank God. "No problem," I said.

"Talk to you later," she said.

"Later!"

I hung up quickly. I let out a couple heavy breaths I didn't know I was suppressing.

"You. Are. Evil," I said as Lauren slid down my jeans. She stroked me as I watched her tongue run over her lips.

"Then, punish me," she coaxed.

That was all the prompt I needed.