- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Four

"How's the weather?" I asked. I winced. Who asks their fiancee about the friggin' weather?"

"It's amazing. I took a little time to go on the boat. Dad asked about you. He wanted to know when you're coming down to take it for another spin."

I smiled. I loved that boat in a way that was way more than purely plutonic. "Soon," I said.

"Good," Lauren said happily. "Whatcha been doin'?"

I felt instantly guilty. I guess that was a good thing. If I didn't feel guilty then that meant that I really didn't have a conscience. But, I did.

"Well, I've been working on little things," I said. That was the truth. "And I've been training Shay."

"Training?"

"Yeah. We've been hitting the gym. I'm helping her lose some weight. I'm using what you taught me." I figured the last line was necessary. Imitation was the greatest form of flattery...or something.

"You've been doing that a lot?" Lauren guessed.

"Well, every day," I admitted. "Shay's already lost sixteen pounds. I've really put her through the paces."

"I bet you have."

I winced. That tone was bad.

"Laur?"

"I leave and you latch onto her?"

I knew she didn't mean that literally, but there was no way I couldn't think about my teeth in Shay's shoulder.

"It's not like that. Jake--"

"Jake's different," Lauren said quickly. "Doing Jake things is fine. Where's Jake while you're training?"

"He's in the playroom," I said quietly.

Lauren didn't reply. I was almost expecting to hear the tone of an angry hang up. Finally, I heard a sigh.

"Nick, you're playing with fire."

"What?"

"Never mind."

"No, what do you mean I'm playing with fire?"

Lauren's voice was teary. "You just need to think about what you really want, Nick. I'm wearing your ring. Don't forget that."

"Laur," I said gently. "I know that. I'm just trying to help her and get to know her a little more. It's for Jake."

It was a lame excuse. I didn't kiss her for Jake. Did I?

"Nick, we've never been anything but honest with each other. Just remember that, okay?"

It was like her Nicky-sense was at play. I needed to come clean about the kiss.

"Okay," I said. I didn't go on. I couldn't. I didn't have the balls.

"I love you."

"I love you too," I said. "Have fun. See you soon."

"Behave."

The behave rang in my ears long after we hung up. Had I ever behaved?

When would I begin?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Shay? Oh, Shay!"

I hadn't seen mom in awhile, but she hadn't changed. Wait, I take that back. She actually looked younger than when I had last seen her.

Her plastic surgeon was probably buying another house as we spoke.

"Oh, honey! Look at you!"

Mom stopped just in front of me. She didn't touch me. The statement hung thick in the air. Mom finally smiled at me, nodding. "You look...robust."

Robust. Robust? I had just lost sixteen pounds! Maybe more after the workout this morning. Grr...

Mom's eyes traveled down me, lingering at my stomach. There was silent disappointment. Luckily, she was instantly distracted by the blonde head popping in and out from between my knees.

"Jacob! Oh, look how big you are!"

Jake face-planted right into the back of my knee. His fingers dug into my pants.

"He's a little shy," I said. Mom slowly crouched down. She touched the floor and made a face. She wiggled her fingers trying to get the floor dust off.

"Jake, I'm your--"

At that moment a gorgeous guy walked by. He couldn't have been more than twenty-five. He flashed mom a bright smile; she blushed. She didn't continue until he was gone, and even then she was whispering.

"I'm your grandma Tiffany. You can call me Tiffany."

Of course he could. Jake peeked at her.

"You've got lots of cake on your face," he said seriously.

Mom laughed. "This is my makeup. I'm a famous actress. Would you like to see where I work?"

Jake looked up at me. His hand reached around and took mine. I smiled at him and nodded encouragingly.

"Let's take a quick tour," I said. "I'm on my lunch break," I added. Mom didn't seem to care. I knew I would be stuck there until she was done with me. At least a tour was the best thing that could happen. It would mean less 'family' talk and just business.

Mom was at her best when she was talking business.

Unfortunately, mom adidn't know how to talk to anyone younger than eighteen. Jake stuck close to my side, his little hand clammy in mind as she called everything by its technical name and threw out random names. I don't know what she was thinking; it wasn't like Jake and I wined and dined with the in-crowd every day of his life. Twenty minutes in, Jake was getting frustrated. He began to whine.

I couldn't blame him. I wanted to whine too.

"Mom," I said, breaking in at one point when she was describing the different cameras. I scooped Jake into my arms. "He's a little young to get all of this."

Mom looked at me in surprise. Jake slapped at a huge microphone behind my shoulder and smiled when it crackled. That was his level of fun.

"Francie was right," she continued as if I hadn't interrupted her. "He doesn't look like you."

I bristled. "He looks like Nick."

"Well, Jake's adorable. This Nick must be pretty good looking. It's just like you to let a good thing slip away."

I scowled. Everything was always my fault. "Let's not get into that. Just--"

"Mr. Blake! Kevin/Blake! Hi! Hi-Hi!"

I swung around so fast I almost hit Jake's head on the mic. He ducked just in time. My mouth dropped open.

Kevin stared at me; I'm sure he was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him.

No, I take that back. I was totally more surprised. Not only was he on the set, seemingly fresh from make-up, but he also had his hand wrapped around my sister's waist. Francie frowned. It looked like it took a lot - she must have joined the Botox revolution.

"Kevy, you know Shay?"

Shit.