- Text Size +
Chapter Fifty Five

I know girls are supposed to have that whole 'maternal' thing going on with their kids, but after watching Jake's video twice, I felt like I had been demasculated a little bit. Even random kids on the street made me smile.

"Yo, Nizzle, are you going through men-opause or something?" J teased. "If you weren't so cute, these women would probably think you're a potential kidnapper."

I picked up a stuffed spider monkey. "Think Jake would like this?"

Bri whisked past me wearing a toucan hat, the beak bobbing up and down with each step he took. "Bay just picked one of those up over there. Go for it." I held onto it and moved on down the row. Just as I was about to pick up a t-shirt, my phone rang. I juggled all the crap in my arms and fished it out.

"It's Nick."

"Who else?"

I laughed. "Hey."

"Surprised to hear from me?"

Considering she was supposed to have been here with me, I was a little surprised. "Yes, but in a good way. What's up?"

"Just wanted to see how you were doing."

"Good. We rehearse tomorrow and then insanity begins," I said. "What have you been up to?"

Lauren laughed. "Not too much. I've got some photography gigs lined up."

All of a sudden, Bri leaned in close. He must have seen Lauren's contact picture because he dropped to his knees and threw out his arms.

"Please Laur, please forgive me. I've been an idiot!" he said loudly. I kicked his shin and whirled around.

"Who was that?"

"Brian," I said.

"Is he missing me?"

"Everyone is. They think I'm an idiot."

"And what do you think?"

I couldn't tell if it was a trick question. She had been just so calm during our talk and about giving the ring back that I just wasn't sure.

"I think taking a time out is good," I said.

"Then that's all that matters."

"Lauren, kick his ass!"

I hadn't noticed J sneak up until he screamed in my ear. I held up my middle finger, ducked into a changing room, and tugged the curtain closed.

"I better go," I apologized.

"No problem. Just have fun."

I relaxed my shoulders. "Will do."

"Oh, and Nick?"

"Yeah?"

"Just keep in mind how good I look in a bikini."

Shit.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Why are you screaming?" I asked.

"SORRY! OUR NOISE MUFFLERS MALFUNCTIONED HALFWAY THROUGH THE SHOW!"

I shifted on the couch. Jake's cast was digging into my ribs. He was fast asleep on my chest.

"Are your ears ringing?"

"WHAT? MY EARS ARE RINGING!"

I had no idea why Nick had called; it didn't seem like we were going to get anywhere.

"GO TO BED!" I said as loudly as I dared without running the risk of waking Jake.

"I'LL CALL YOU IN THE MORNING! I CAN'T HEAR!"

I tried not to giggle. "Night, Nick."

"LOVE YOU!"

We hung up; I held onto the phone thoughtfully.

Love you?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


The 'love you' had just slipped out of my mouth. I don't know how it happened. It wasn't like I ended every phone call with 'love you.' I hadn't even said it to Lauren every time we ended a call in the last two years.

I wondered if Shay was going to bring it up as I dialed her new number the next morning. At least, I hoped it was morning. I was hopelessly lost in time zones.

"'Lo?"

She sounded groggy. I glanced at the clock. "What time is it?"

I heard the sound of a table being slapped. "Three in the morning."

Oops.

"Sorry, I thought it was later than that. I--"

"It's okay. You woke me from a nightmare. How's your ears?"

I laughed. "Better. What was your nightmare about?"

"My mother."

"I can't wait to meet her," I teased.

I could amost picture her laughing into her pillow. "My mother is the reason I swore off marriage and children by the time I was sixteen. Of course our little Jake surprise changed the children part, but..."

"Where's your dad?"

"They divorced when I was seven. I almost flunked kindergarten because I thought it was normal to scream every time you wanted to say something."

That hit close to home. Too close. "Hey, I'm sure you didn't call to hear me complain." She let out a soft breath. "We miss you."

I grinned. "You too?"

"Yeah. Me too."

"I'll be back before you know it."

"You might not recognize me by then."

"Did you weigh-in again?"

Shay sounded wide awake and a little smug. "Yup."

"So?"

"Not telling!"

"Has the red Power Ranger been helping?"

Shay groaned. "No. I'm purposely going to the gym at odd times to avoid him. He flirts with everyone."

"Really?" I couldn't help but think that maybe it was the same guy flirting with Lauren.

"Yeah. At least I can spot a phony now. It only took me a million years."

I closed my eyes. "Do you think I'm a phony?"

Shay's voice was soft and sensual. "Not anymore. In fact, I plan to fight for you."

I swallowed hard. "Fight?"

"Let's just say, I can't wait until you come home."

My mouth dropped open. Suddenly, and not for the first time since I left, neither could I.