- Text Size +
Chapter Sixty

-- 17 Months Later: December 25, 2012 --

"This is what I always wanted!"

I laughed as Jake lifted a Bulls basketball from a large square box, the wrapping sailing down around him in a heap. Silas sniffed at it curiously. "Can we play?"

"This afternoon," I promised.

Jake set the ball down, digging into another package. A second later, his excited laughter filled the room. He held up a Nerf Ball gun.

"This is what I always wanted!"

I grabbed an identically wrapped package with my name on it and stripped back the paper. I held up the exact same gun. Jake grinned.

"That means war, daddy," he said seriously.

"You're on."

Shay laughed. She crawled along the ground, picking up the mess we were making. A mountain of clothes, scrapbook 'thingies,' and a new computer piled up by the couch, looking like Shay's own personal leaning Tower of Pisa.

"You two are worse than Oscar," she complained good-naturedly. "You'd think you two live in a trash can with the mess your making."

"Mommy, don't be silly. Oscar's much messier!"

"And grouchier," I pointed out. "You really should make him a little nicer, dear."

Shay looked over her shoulder at me and stuck out her tongue.

Soon after the NKOTBSB tour ended the summer before, Shay had snagged a job with Sesame Street Workshop. With the money I got for my part of the house Lauren and I had shared in Tennessee, I purchased a house outside New York City for the three of us. It had worked out perfectly; Shay had found her dream job, we had gotten Jake into a great school (and officially changed his last name to Carter), and I was enjoying my second ever white Christmas. Big white flakes drifted lazily past our large front window as Shay stuffed the last of the wrapping paper into a large black trash bag.

"Was this a good Christmas, Jake?" she asked. Jake nodded.

"It was fa-boob-a-lish!"

"Spoken like a true kindergartener," I laughed. Shay sat back on her heels and arched towards the tree. She gave me a sideways glance as she pulled out a long box.

"There's one more present."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


My heart was pounding in excitement. Nick looked surprised.

"For me?"

I nodded. He took the box and searched my face.

"What is it?"

"Open it," I said softly.

"Open it!" Jake repeated. "I wanna see!"

Nick laughed. I ran my palms along the legs of my jeans as he lifted the lid. He stared for a long moment. My pulse thrummed in my neck. His eyes widened.

"Really?"

"Really," I said shakily.

"But we just started trying last month."

I laughed. "Well, it worked."

Nick lifted the test, the pink plus sign still blazingly clear. He couldn't hide his excitement.

"What is it?" Jake asked.

Nick put the test back in the box. I looped an arm around Jake's waist and pulled him to me.

"Remember when daddy and I asked you if you wanted a little brother or sister?"

Jake broke into an identical excited smile. "Do I get one?" he asked. I nodded. Jake giggled and looked around.

"When's it coming?"

"August."

"But that's forever!"

"It will be here before we know it," I said.

Jake didn't seem to agree. But, like any five year old, his attention was soon pulled back to his presents. I crawled onto Nick's lap, into his waiting arms. I kissed his ear.

"Brought to you by the letter B and the number 69," I whispered. Nick's mouth dropped open.

"You really think? That time in Big Bird's nest?"

"I have my suspicions," I laughed.

"I'm still finding feathers in weird locations," he teased. His eyes softened. "I'm so excited." He cupped my chin, pulling me in for a long kiss.

"I thought it made a good present," I said as my lips brushed lazily over his cheek.

"A wonderful present," he agreed. He shifted in the seat, taking me with him. "In fact, I have one last present for you."

"For me? But you've already got me--"

The box was small and the diamond glistening up at me looked like a snowflake.

"Nick..."

"Marry me, Shay."

"But, Nick we both don't believe--"

"I believe in you and me. For better or worse. We both know this isn't a guarantee of forever, but it seems like a little taste of forever is better than never knowing it at all. What do you say? Take a chance?"

In the past two years, I had taken a lot of chances with Nick. And not once had he let me fall. He plucked the ring out of the box and looked at me.

"Say yes. I helped daddy pick it out."

Jake clung to the arm of the chair. I had two men that loved me more than anything else in the world. I pulled Jake up, the three of us sandwiched in the chair. Happy. Together.

"Yes," I said.

"Yes?" Nick's voice sounded tight. His fingers held the ring tightly, sliding it onto my own finger. It felt so right. I nodded.

"Forever's a chance I'm willing to take," I said.

"As long as I take it with you."

-- THE END --