- Text Size +

“I have the perfect guy for you.” Sasha told me. I rolled my eyes.

It’s not that I didn’t want to find a nice guy and settle down. I just didn’t have the time or patience to date. My life was busy. I was content.

“Really?”

“You’re thirty-two years old. You need to have a life besides work. Emma you need to get laid.”

“I’m sorry my life is not good enough for you. I’m perfectly happy.” I replied.

“Fine. You are totally happy. Would a little more happiness hurt?”

“Tell me about this so called perfect guy.” I placed the roll of stickers on the wall.

“His name is Nick. Tall, built, and hot as hell. He’s a musician. Nick is friends with Kevin.”

Oh, lord if Nick is a friend of Kevin’s I’m sure he is not perfect. Kevin is Sasha’s flavor of the month. He cheated on his wife with Sasha. Now he is in the process of getting a divorce. She certainly knows how to pick them. I wasn’t sure of her judgment when it came to men.

“I’m not so sure. Kevin’s not the best at making choices.”

“I know you don’t like him. I’m sorry he cheated on his wife. He makes me happy. I want you to be happy.” Sasha straightened the stack of cardstock.

“I am happy. I’ll go on one date with this Nick guy. That way you will be happy and will stop pestering me.”

“Thank you, Emma. You won’t regret it.”

I smiled at my friend and coworker. She meant well, but I wish she would leave my personal life alone.

--------------------------------

(A FEW DAYS LATER)

I was meeting this Nick guy at small restaurant near my business. We were having a lunch date. I left Sasha in charge of the store. I hope it was in once piece when I returned.

“Good afternoon miss. Can I help you?”

“Yes, I have a reservation under Carter.”

“Right this way.” I followed the hostess to the table.

I saw a gorgeous man sitting at the table. This couldn’t be the guy I was being set up with. I was so plain compared to him. Why would a superstar want to date me? This was not going to turn out well.

He stood up as I arrived at the table. Nick gave a small smile.

“Hello, you must be Emma.” I nodded.

“It’s nice to meet you Nick.” I smiled back at him.

“Kevin and Sasha have told me a lot about you.”

“Really.” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Yes, all wonderful things.”

“Okay.” I had no clue what to say.

Dating had never been on the top of my list. At thirty-two, I think I had only been on about five dates.  I felt awkward and foolish.

He picked up a menu and handed it to me.

“Thank you.”

“Have you eaten here before?”

“Yes. The garlic shrimp with spinach ravioli is to die for. The chicken alfredo is good, also.”

“You must eat here a lot.”

“My cousin’s the owner. He makes me try every new item on the menu. He sends me dinner nightly at the store.”

The waiter came over and took our order.

“So, you own your own store.”

“I do. It’s called Scrap Your Memories. I sell scrapbooking supplies and teach classes. I also offer scrapbooking parties.”

“That sounds interesting. I will have to check it out.”

It was easy talking to Nick. I didn’t even feel like I was on a date.

“Sasha said you were a musician. Tell me about it.”

“Well, I’m part of a singing group call Backstreet Boys. I also play drums and guitar.”

“Wow you sound very talented. Is that how you know Kevin?”

“Yeah, Kevin was part of the Backstreet Boys, but left the group a few years ago.”

“I see.” I couldn’t stand Kevin, but I didn’t want to tell him that.

“Have you lived in L.A. all your life?” He asked quietly.

“Unfortunately I have. I’m not fond of all the hustle and bustle. Plus all the stupid celebrities thinking they are entitled to the world because of their pretty faces get to me.” I looked at Nick and realized I was talking about him.

“Nick, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound so…”

“It’s okay. I know what you mean. L.A. is full of idiots who act like there’s nothing else in life but partying. I used to be that way, but I’m not.”  He took my hand in his.

“I’m glad you changed. You seem like a great down to earth guy.”

“You seemed surprised by that. Though, I find you refreshing. You are so open and honest. You don’t get that much here.”

“I’ve lived in L.A. my whole life. My dad was some big wig at Paramount Pictures. He cheated on my mom with some hot new actress. He got her pregnant and she was only seventeen. Needless to say he left my mom with four kids and married his teenage lover. I was ten and haven’t talked to my dad since.”

“What an ass! I see why you don’t like this scene.”

“After watching my mom struggle for years because of that lifestyle, it made me sick.  If I could leave this town, I would.”

Our food arrived and we started to eat. The conversation continued.

“So tell me about your siblings.”

“Well, I have two brothers. Gabriel is thirty. He moved to Colorado and is a ski instructor.  Steve is living in San Francisco with his boyfriend Tony. They own a hair salon. My sister Haley is in L.A. She’s in med school. Do you have any siblings?”

“My brother Aaron and my sister Leslie are singers. My sister Angel is a model. BJ is learning to be a chef at the moment.”

“Wow you have a big family.”

“I do. I really enjoyed our lunch today. Do you think we could do this again?” He asked shyly. It was the first time all afternoon that he acted shy. It was kind of cute.

“That would be nice. I enjoyed talking to you. You aren’t like other celebrities.”

“Thanks. I enjoyed talking to a normal person from L.A.” He took my hand and placed a gentle kiss on it.

I had to give Sasha credit this time. She actually set me up with a guy that was intelligent, funny, and handsome. This was the first time I wanted to go on a second date.