- Text Size +

“Emma, I’m so sorry I had to call you on Thanksgiving.” Sasha apologized.

“That’s ok. What’s up?” I asked. Sasha didn’t seem like her normal bubbly self.

“Umm…I don’t know how to tell you this.”

“Just tell me. I’m not in the mood for guessing games. Nick and I aren’t getting along.” I sighed and crawled up on the bed.

“It’s about the store. It caught on fire.” She said gravely.

“You’re joking. Stop it Sasha.” I didn’t know why she would play a practical joke on me.

“Emma, listen to me. The store caught on fire and burned completely down.”

“NO! You’re lying.” I screamed and jumped off the bed.

“I wouldn’t lie to you. I know this is going to be hard on you. That store meant everything to you. The insurance company is going to call you tomorrow. I gave them your cell. I’m so sorry.”

“Thank you for calling me. I can’t believe this. I’ll let you know what the insurance company says.” I hung up the phone.

I grabbed the first thing I saw; a glass candy dish and threw it at the wall. It shattered into a million pieces. My heart and soul was broken. I had nothing. Everything I worked for was gone in an instant.

Tears were falling from my eyes. I was sad and madder than hell. I grabbed the book on the nightstand and threw it.  Life was not fair.

Nick walked out of the bathroom and ran over to me. “What is wrong, Emma?”

“My store was destroyed by a fire. I have nothing.” I collapsed in his arms.

“Sweetheart, I’m so sorry. I know how much the store meant to you.”

Nick held me quietly in his arms. I was glad for the silence. I don’t think I could take any words of condolence. I just wanted it to be a dream. I knew it wasn’t. Nick made me feel safe. He knew me and didn’t try to tell me things would be okay. They wouldn’t and it bothered me when people told me it would.

“What am I going to do? My life is destroyed. I have nothing.” I whispered into his chest.

“I don’t know what you are going to do, but you have me. I’m here for you and whatever you need. This really sucks.”

I broke free from him and went to the window. I saw the snow coming down. It was like I was in a snow globe. The world was beautiful, and I had lost a part of mine.

“Did the insurance company contact you?” Nick walked over toward me.

“No. Sasha called me. They are supposed to call me tomorrow. I can’t believe this. It’s drained everything out of me.”

“Sweetheart, why don’t you go to bed? It’s been a rough and traumatic day. Everything will take care of itself in the morning.” Nick rubbed my shoulders.

“Will you hold me until I fall asleep?”

“Anything for you. I’m here for you no matter what. I love you, Emma.”

“Thanks. I love you, too.”

-----------------------------------------

I walked into the living room where Nick was sitting with my mother. Neither of them was talking to one another.

“What did the insurance company say?” Nick asked as I sat next to him.

“They said everything was lost. The building burned down to the ground. Apparently it was an electrical fire.”

“That sucks.”

“I told you not to open a store in an old building.  I wish you would have listened to me.” My mother said. She always had to be the one that told you so. It was such juvenile behavior from a grown woman.

“At that point in time that was all I could afford. You almost seem glad that it happened.”

“How dare you say such a thing? Really, Emma is that how you talk to me?”

“Mother, you’ve never been supportive of my or anything I have done. I’m sorry I have been such a letdown to you. This is just one more failure you can add to my list. Emma Warde is a screw-up.”

“Emma that is not true, but your track record hasn’t been very good. I wish you could be more like your siblings. They have it together. That’s all I wish for you.” Victoria Warde said flippantly.

“Mom I had all that and you still treat me as if I was a second class citizen. I had my own business, my own apartment, friends, and a boyfriend. What more did you want from me?”

“Emma, I don’t want to get into this in front of Nick. You’re emotional right now. This really isn’t the time or place.” She squirmed in her seat.

“Fine. I’m through with you. You no longer have two daughters. I don’t need you in my life.” I ran out of the living room and went upstairs.

“Mrs. Warde, you just lost out on the greatest daughter. How dare you treat her that way! Emma is the best thing that ever happened to me. You will regret losing out on a relationship with your daughter. I hope you rot in hell.”

Nick took two steps at a time.

“What are you doing?”

I had my suitcase on the bed and was quickly throwing my clothes inside it. “I’m packing. I can’t stay in this house with her. I never want to see that bitch again.”

“Where are you going to go?” Nick started folding my clothes.

“Back to L.A. Where else do I have to go for now?”

“You could come to Florida with me?” Nick took my hands and made me face him.

“Are you serious?”

“I’ve never been more serious in my life. I hate having you on the other side of the country. This would be the perfect opportunity to start over.”

I let go of his hand and grabbed his face. I pulled his lips to mine. I kissed Nick like I had never kissed him before.

Nick is where I wanted to be. He was my safety, my joy, my everything. He let me be me, and he loved it. No one appreciated me like Nick did. Maybe it was time to get away from my mother.

“Nick, I’ll move in with you.” He smiled, picked me up and twirled me around. “Let me down.”

“I’m so happy Emmers. I can’t wait for you to see my house in Tampa. You’re going to love it.”

“Nick thank you for loving me for me. You make me feel so special.”

“Emma you are so special and you don’t even realize it. I’m sorry your mother has brainwashed you all these years. Starting right now things are going to be different.”

I knew Nick meant every word. Things were going to be different. I was going to start a new life.