- Text Size +

Time seemed to pass faster than I thought it would. Since Thanksgiving, I had been extremely busy. I had to deal with the insurance company about the fire. Then I packed up my apartment and moved to Florida. I spent at least two weeks unpacking and figuring out Nick’s house.

Christmas had come and gone. Nick and I spent our holiday quietly. It was nice and peaceful. We lounged around the house, opened gifts and ate homemade cookies.

It was New Year’s Eve. Nick and I were attending a party at Tabu. It was a nightclub owned by Nick’s friend Howie.

I walked into the living room wearing a short black skirt thigh length skirt and a red tank top with a black shrug. I was almost Nick’s height in my three inch red pumps.

“Mmm! You look absolutely hot.” Nick walked over and kissed me.

“Why thank you, Nickolas. You look rather dashing yourself.” He was wearing black dress pants and a black button down shirt. Being in all black made him look mysterious. It was a good look on him.

“Are you sure you want to go? I could just ravish your sexy body instead.”

“Nick what would your friends think? You don’t want to disappoint them.” I smiled

“They would say I was one lucky bastard to make love to a gorgeous woman like you.” He flashed me a sexy grin as he pulled me closer to him.

“Nick, we’re going to be late.” I changed the subject. I still wasn’t ready to make love to Nick. I was getting closer to the moment, but I still needed time.

“Fine. Let’s go.” He sighed in frustration.

“Nick let’s not get into this tonight. I want to enjoy myself.”

“For tonight, but we need to talk about this tomorrow.” Nick grabbed his keys and walked out. I grabbed my purse and followed behind him.

---------------

By the time we reached the club, Nick was in better spirits. The drive to Orlando was quiet. Both of us lost in our thoughts.

We entered the club; it was jammed packed with people. I looked around at my surroundings. I had never been to a club before.

Nick grasped my hand and slowly pulled me through the crowd. He took me upstairs to the VIP lounge. I saw AJ and Kevin sitting on a couch. I wondered if Sasha was here.

“Nick, how’s it going?” AJ asked. “Hi Emma.”

I waved at AJ and Kevin. Nick started talking to his friends. I always felt like an outsider when I was around Nick’s friends. I got the feeling they didn’t like me. I was looking forward to meeting Brian and Howie. Hopefully they were a little friendlier.

Brian and a beautiful blonde walked into the room. I assumed she was Brian’s wife.

“Hi, I’m Brian and this is my wonderful wife, Leighanne. Nick has talked non-stop about you. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” Brian introduced himself. He seemed nice and friendly.

“It’s nice to meet you both.” I smiled shyly.

Nick walked over and put his arm around me.

“How do you like Florida?” Leighanne appeared friendly.

“It’s beautiful. I feel more relaxed than I did in California.”

“That’s awesome. We’ll have to get together for a girl’s day. I’ll fill you in on all the secrets of dating a Backstreet Boy.” Leighanne seemed very nice.

“I would enjoy that. I don’t know anyone except Nick.”

“Great, I’ll call you this week.”

I noticed a handsome Latino man walk into the room. He had a confident yet humble air about him. I assumed he was the fifth and final member of the Backstreet Boys.

“Hi Howard. Come here I want you to meet someone.” Nick waved him over.

“Hello Nick.”

“I would like you to meet my girlfriend, Emma. Emmers this is Howie.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Howie took my hand in his. I felt something when he touched me.  It was like a small surge of electric running through my fingertips. I decided to ignore it.

“It’s nice meeting you Howie.” He smiled at me with his chocolate brown eyes. There was a spark of excitement and warmth in them when we looked at each other. Howie was definitely handsome. Hell, he was hot, hot, hot. I know it was bad for me to think another guy was hot when I had a boyfriend, but I couldn’t help it. I loved Nick, so it really didn’t matter what I thought of Howie.

“Let’s go dance baby.”

Nick and I walked down to the dance floor. He pulled me close to his body. There was barely an inch between us. We swayed slowly to the music.

“Are you having fun tonight?” Nick whispered in my ear. I could feel his breath on me.

“Yes. Howie and Brian seem nicer than the other two.”

“They are. AJ and Kevin are testing you.”

“Really now.” I place my head on his shoulder.

“They do that with all my girlfriends. I’ve dated some winners in the past. They don’t trust my choices in women.”

“They’re going to have to realize I’m not like those other women. I’m not going to hurt you.”

Nick placed a kiss on the top of my head. He was always showing me affection. I loved that he constantly had to touch me.

“Hey can I cut in?” Kevin stood beside us.

“Of course.” Nick stepped away, but came back and whispered in my ear. “Don’t take his shit. Stand strong and hold you’re ground. Show him who you are.”

“Emma, how’s your night?” Kevin pulled me near him. I realized that Kevin was testing me with this impromptu dance.

“It’s wonderful. It’s nice to meet Nick’s friends.”

“Are you enjoying Florida?” We spun around as he interrogated me.

“It’s lovely. I’ve never felt so peaceful. I’m glad Nick asked me to move here.” I answered honestly.

“What do you plan on doing now that you’re in Florida?”

“I’m not sure yet. I don’t think I could open another scrapbook store. It would be hard for me. Maybe I’ll go back to school. I’m not really sure.” He looked at me with disapproval.

“Surely you don’t plan to live off of Nick. He’s a generous guy, and I won’t stand around watching him get used again.” He stated pointedly. Did he really think I was going to use Nick for his money. I wasn’t that type of woman. Suddenly, I was feeling a little pissed off. What kind of money grubbing whores did Nick date in the past? I understand Kevin’s concern, but Nick was a grown man. He wasn’t in his twenties anymore. I think Kevin needed to worry about his own life.

“First off, I would never use Nick like that. I’m not that type of woman. Second, I have my own money. I wouldn’t dream of using his. Nick’s an adult and can take care of himself. I’m sorry he dated a bunch of women that used him. I’m not that type of woman. Let Nick make his own choices. You should be one to talk. You cheat on your wife and act like you are holier than thou.”

Kevin held on to me, but stopped dancing. He was clearly annoyed with me. I didn’t care. I had enough of Kevin Richardson. I had no reason why he was dead set against our relationship. This was more than being a concerned friend.

“My life is none of your concern.”

“And my life is none of yours.” I broke free of his grasp and went to find Nick.