- Text Size +

While Nick went for his long walk on the beach, I went back to the house. I won’t lie and say that I wasn’t frustrated. I was more discouraged now then I was before our little talk.

I started cleaning up the house. Whenever I was worried I cleaned. This was going to be the cleanest house in Tampa. After about twenty minutes the living room was cleaner than it had been since I moved in. I was heading to the kitchen when the door bell rang.

I slowly walked to the door. I really didn’t feel like being around other people. When I opened the door I was Howie standing there.

“Hello Emma.  How are you? Is Nick around?”

“Hey Howie. I’m fine. Nick is out taking a walk. He should be back soon. Do you want to come in?”

“Sure.” He stepped inside and followed me to the kitchen. He took a seat at the island in the middle of the room.

“Would you like something to drink?” I asked politely. I just wanted Nick to get back and entertain his friend. I just wanted to be alone.

“No thank you.”

I started to scrub the island with a sponge. The harder I pressed the better I felt. The marble counter top was spotless and shiny.

I couldn’t believe Nick. Why couldn’t he get over the fact that I wasn’t ready? He made me feel like it was my fault. I know that he was used to getting laid anytime he wanted, but I wasn’t that type of woman. I would know when I was ready. He just needed to give me a little more time.

“You’re going to wear a hole in that sponge.” Howie pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah, I kind of get into my work.” I said dully.

“Is something bothering you?” Howie ask with kindness.

I didn’t know how to answer that question. I barely knew Howie, and he was Nick’s friends. I didn’t think it was appropriate to be sharing my relationship problems with him. He may go and tell Nick.

“Yes, but I don’t feel like talking about it.” I continued scrubbing the counter top.

“I understand. Sometimes it’s easier to just to figure things out on your own. If you feel like talking, my ears are open.” There was that kindness again. He made me want to spill out my problems, but I couldn’t do that to Nick.

“Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that offer sometime.” I smiled up at him. “I want to apologize for last night. It was my fault that Kevin was upset.”

“Emma, there’s no need to apologize. Kevin deserved everything you threw at him. He’s changed recently and not for the better. I wish you could see the real Kevin.”

“Me, too. I’ve only seen him this way. It’s a shame how he treats women, but they seem to flock at him.”

“Women seem to go for the bad boy.” Howie said wryly. He was currently single. He hadn’t dated in the last six months.

“Not all women. I’m lucky I found Nick. He’s so sweet and genuine.” I loved him a lot even though we were going through a rough period right now.

“That he is. Nick has changed a lot in the past year. I’m glad he found someone like you.”

I glanced at Howie. His brown eyes bore into my eyes. I experienced a sensation I had never felt before in my life. I didn’t know what it was, but it freaked me out.

“Howie.” Nick said as he walked into the kitchen. He barely looked at me.

“Hello Nick. I was just coming by to discuss an idea I had for a song.”

“Cool. Let’s go down to the studio.”

----------------------------------

Nick and Howie were sitting in the studio working on Howie’s new song. Nick was still in a pissed off mood. He couldn’t understand Emma.

“Nick what do you think of those lyrics?” Nick looked up with a blank stare.

“Hmm…what? He paused. “I didn’t hear you.”

“Is everything okay with you and Emma? Both of you seemed distracted.”

Nick fiddled with the pen in his hand. He knew his friend would laugh at his predicament. Who would have thought Nick would have a girlfriend that didn’t want to sleep with him.

“We’re having umm a little relationship issue.”

“You wanna talk about it?” Howie asked. He sat back in his chair getting comfortable. Once Nick got going, he would never stop.

“Yeah, I guess. What’s the longest you’ve had to wait to sleep with a girlfriend?”

“Two months.”

“Really. You’ve never had to wait longer?”

“In high school.”

“High school doesn’t count.” Nick sighed and leaned back in his chair.

“Have you and Emma had sex yet?”

“No. I mean we’ve been dating since September, but she’s not ready.”

“I’m sorry, man. I know it’s hard. Have you talked to her about it?”

“Yes, we talked about it today. She says she’s not ready yet. Emma says she’s close, but I need to stop pressuring her.”

“Are you pressuring her?” Howie knew how Nick could be.  At one time Nick was a womanizer with a different woman in his bed each night.  He was different from his friend.

“No, unless telling your girlfriend how much you love her and you can’t wait to make love to her is pressuring her. There’s more to it.” Nick started playing with the buttons on the sound board.

“You’re just not used to a girl saying no.” Howie teased. He thought they made a good couple. Emma helped Nick stayed grounded.

“Plenty have said no, thank you very much.” Nick threw a wadded up piece of paper at his friend. “Do you think it’s weird for a thirty two year old woman to be a virgin?”

Howie thought about it for a moment. He wanted to make sure he answered this question in a way that Nick understood.

“It depends on the woman. Some women have religious and personal beliefs that make them wait to marriage. Others just don’t want to have sex. I think it depends on the situation. Is Emma a virgin?” Nick nodded his head. “Did she give you a reason why?”

“Yes. Basically she’s waiting for the right guy.”

“I would give her time. She seems like a great woman. I can tell she really loves you. I think she’s a keeper.” Howie meant it. Nick had found a great woman. If only he could find someone like her?

“Yeah, you’re right. I feel like a jackass. I’m going to show her how much I love her.”

Nick was feeling better after his conversation with Howie. Everything was going to be fine.