- Text Size +

“These are the files where the invoices go. I scan them into the computer and keep a copy in the file cabinet. Monthly I save the scanned copies to a disc.” Howie explained as he showing me how the file cabinet was setup.

“Okay.” I answered.

Howie has been explaining how he runs his club. He was very thorough. He may be very sweet, but he had a mind for business. When he wanted something he wanted it done right and at the moment he asked.

“I don’t want to overwhelm you. Let’s sit down and have some tea.”

I nodded my head and followed Howie out into the club. He poured us both a cup of tea and scooted us over to a table.

“How was your romantic weekend with Nick?”

“It was wonderful. Nick treated me like a princess. The hotel was gorgeous.” I gushed like a fool.

“All women deserve to be treated like a princess. Nick has changed since he’s met you.” Howie played with his mug.

“Is that a good thing?”

“Of course. Nick has a heart of gold. In the past he’s had a hard time showing it. He was afraid to show his heart because he picked the wrong women to date. You’re different.” Howie’s hand moved closer to mine.

I got nervous having his hand so close to mine. I quickly moved my hand and knocked my mug to the floor. Tea spilled to the floor.

“Howie, I’m so sorry. I’m such a klutz.” I grabbed some napkins to sop up the mess.

I don’t know why I was so weird around Howie. He was a nice guy and treated me respectfully. Hopefully I could get over this feeling.

“Don’t worry about Emma. It’s just a spill.” He bent down on the floor next to me and wiped up the remaining tea.

Howie looked at me and smiled. My stomach had butterflies tumbling in it. Why was my body reacting like that?

I stood up and went to throw my napkins away. I needed a moment to collect myself. I decided that my nerves were due to starting a new job. It wasn’t because of Howie.

“So what else do I need to know to fill your shoes, Howie?”

“Well currently we are short staffed this morning. Jasmine called off sick. I have some calls to make. Would you mind checking to see how many bottles of each type of alcohol we have at the bar and VIP lounges. Here’s the form you need to use.” He handed me the form. “That way I will be able to order what we need to replenish. When you are finished you can take a lunch break. I have to meet with the guys at noon. The evening manager Derek will be here around two, so he’ll give you instructions on what to do.”

“I’ll get right on this. Have a good day if I don’t see you before you leave. Tell Nick I said hi.”

I made my way to the main bar and started to count bottles of alcohol. Ninety-nine bottles of beer was going through my head. Right now the work was mundane, but at least I was a part of the work forces. I was feeling productive, instead of lounging around Nick’s house.

I heard my cell phone ding. It was a text message from Nick. Hope u r having a great day. Miss you. See u 2 nite. Nick was such a sweetheart. Always finding ways to show he cared.

I started typing a text back. Enjoying my work & busy. Miss u back. Luv ya. See u at home. I placed my phone in my pocket and got back to work.

------------

When I pulled up to the house, I noticed Nick’s vehicle was missing. He was still at the studio. It was close to seven o’clock and I hadn’t seen him since I left at seven this morning. I was exhausted. Derek worked me like a racehorse. I didn’t realize how strong I needed to be to move all the boxes of booze and beer.

I went upstairs to the bedroom. The bed looked so inviting. I changed into my pajamas and made my way to the kitchen. I was starving and realized I didn’t have anything to eat since eleven this morning.

I opened the freezer and took out a frozen pizza. I preheated the oven and sat at the island until it was time to put the pizza in. I placed my head on the cool marble. My body started to relax.

“I missed waking up with you in my arms Emma.” Nick whispered in my ear. Slowly I sat up.

“You’re home. What time is it?” I couldn’t believe I fell asleep.

“It’s ten thirty.” He sat done next to me.

“I must have fallen asleep.” I got up and turned to oven off.

“Rough day at work?”

I grabbed a Coke from the fridge. It tasted wonderful as the cool fizz went down my throat.

“Yeah. I never carried so many boxes of booze in my life.”

“Is Howie being a slave driver?” Nick teased as he grabbed my bottle of Coke.

“Howie is perfectly fine. The assistant manager is the slave driver. I carried more boxes than he did.”

“Derek is a lazy ass. I don’t know why Howie keeps him around.” He kissed me. “I missed you today.”

“I missed you more. How was recording?” I wrapped my arms around him.

“It’s going good. AJ and Kevin kept fighting about the song we were recording.”

“How do you guys get any work done?”

“It’s hard, but somehow we manage. Enough about work. Let’s go cuddle in bed.”

“That sounds perfect. I have to be up early again.”

Nick grabbed my hand and escorted me to the bedroom. I jumped into bed as he changed his clothes. I puffed his pillows and settled down against mine. My eyes couldn’t stay open and they drifted close before Nick got into bed.