- Text Size +

Nick and I were sitting around my apartment looking through scrapbooks. We were looking at one of my family.

“You made an adorable baby. All those soap bubbles on your head.”

We both laughed. I gave him a peck on the lips.

“Nick, you’re such a dork. I can’t wait to see your baby pictures. I bet you were a chubby little butter ball.” I teased.

“I’m never going to show you my baby book. You’re just gonna wait until you see our babies.”

Really, now? He was planning on us having kids. We have only been a couple for about three weeks. I had only known him for a little over a month. I chose to ignore his comment and threw a pillow at him.

“Why are you always throwing pillows at me? I think I need to discipline you.”

Nick took the scrapbook and placed it on the table. He pushed me down onto the sofa. His lips met mine in a frenzy of passion and delicateness. I don’t know how he could kiss me that way. I felt the need to run, but felt protected at the same time.

“You are the best kisser.”

“It’s only because of who I’m kissing. I could kiss you forever and ever and ever and ever.” He placed baby kisses all over my face.

“I think you’re delusional.”

He covered my mouth to shut me up. Nick always did this when I wasn’t confident. He didn’t like the way I was doubted my self worth. Since meeting him my self-esteem skyrocketed. At times I felt like a new woman. At other times I was still the timid little girl I was at ten. I was so in experienced compared to him.

“Can I ask you a question, Emma?”

“Sure.”

“Tell me about your past relationships.”

“Well, there’s not much to tell. I’ve only dated about five guys my entire life. Nothing was ever serious with any of them.” I answered honestly. There was no reason to not tell the truth. I believed in being honest with Nick. That’s the key to a solid relationship in my view.

“I’m glad it didn’t work out with those losers. You are all mine to love. They missed out on a great lady.”

“Nick, I think you are the sweetest, kindest guy I know. You think so highly of me, I’m beginning to believe it myself.”

“Emma, you are a great woman. I don’t know who tore you down all these years. I wish you could see how wonderful you truly are.”

“Oh, Nicky. I have my faults. No one is perfect. We all have our demons. Some just take longer to come out.”

“I’ll love you demons and all. I’m falling in love with you.”

Wow! I never had a guy in love with me before. At thirty-two, I was as inexperienced as a fourteen year old. I felt giddy and terrified at the same moment. I think I was falling in love.

“Nick, I think I’m falling in love with you.” I whispered.

“As long as you love me demons and all.”

“I will, but isn’t that part of one of your songs?” I stared at him.

“I don’t care who you are, where you’re from, what you did, as long as you love me.” He sang.

I threw another pillow at him.

“Woman, would you quit throwing pillows at me? I mean seriously how many pillows do you own?” He made a funny face at me.

I bust into a fit of giggles. I couldn’t stop. Nick joined in.

“I haven’t laughed like this in forever.”

“Me neither. Let’s go make some dinner.” I grabbed his hand and pulled him into the kitchen.

I opened up the freezer and looked inside.

“Do you see anything good in there?” He asked.

“Umm…not really.” I moved some things around. “Ooh how about some grilled chicken.”

“Sounds yummy.”

“Go start the grill. I’ll quickly defrost this in the microwave.”

We both got started on our tasks. As the chicken was defrosting, I got some vegetables from the fridge. I started washing and chopping lettuce.

“Is the chicken ready to go?” Nick asked.

“Yeah, I put a brown sugar barbecue rub on it. Do you want anything else besides a salad?”

“That’s perfect.” He took the plate of chicken and went back on my balcony.”

Within the half hour dinner was cooked and ready to eat. We both sat down at the table.

“Mmm…everything looks yummy.” Nick dug in.

“When are you heading back to Orlando? Sasha said you are going to start recording again.”

“We are scheduled to start recording on the twentieth.”

“I’m going to miss you.”

“I’m going to miss you. I enjoy spending time with you.” Nick said as his cell phone went off. “Excuse me.”

He got up and went out on the balcony. I sat there eating my dinner. A few minutes later Nick walked back in. He looked pissed.

“I hate to do this, but I got to leave. Kevin got into a fight with Kristin. He’s drunk and pissed off. I have to go take care of him.”

“I understand Nick. You have a friend in need. Go take care of Kevin. If you need me, don’t hesitate to call me.” I stood up.

We both quietly walked to the door. Nick turned to me and pulled me close. Our lips met in a sweet kiss.

“Thanks for being the best girlfriend. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Nick quietly left my apartment with pout on his face. It made my heart melt. I was definitely falling harder and faster in love with Nick.