- Text Size +

“Mom do you have all your luggage?”  I asked.

“I just have this one bag. What time is Nick’s flight coming in?”

“His flight arrives at noon. We have about an hour before he gets here. Let’s go get some coffee.”

We wheeled our suitcases to Starbucks. I ordered a pumpkin spice latte. My mom and sat down at a table.

“So tell me about Nick?”

“What do you want to know?”

“Everything.”  My mom giggled.

“Well, I met him through Sasha. Which totally surprised me because I never thought I would even like the guy.”

“She’s unique that’s for sure.”

“He’s sweet, kind, funny, caring and handsome. Nick treats me special. He’s been nothing but a gentleman.”

“He sounds perfect. I’ve never seen you gush over a man before. What does he do for a living?”

This is where I knew my mom would be less than thrilled. She did not like celebrities or want anything to do with them. I was somewhat nervous telling her.

“He’s a singer.”

“Is he famous or trying to become a celebrity?” She gave me the mom look.

“Nick is already very famous. He’s a member of the Backstreet Boys.”

“Really Emma. I can’t believe you of all my children would date someone famous. I thought you had common sense.”

“Mom, I can’t help that I fell for him. He’s a sweet guy. Please get to the know him for who he is not what he does. We better get to his terminal to meet him.” I got up and headed toward the terminal.

I noticed my mom was a few feet back. I didn’t slow down.  I understood where my mom was coming from, but I cared too much about Nick.

When I reached the gate, Nick’s plane was just arriving. In about five minutes I was going to see him. I had missed him since he went back to Orlando.

People were starting coming through the gate. I didn’t see Nick in the crowd. I waited a few more minutes. By now everyone was off the plane. Where was he? I assumed everything was okay since he hadn’t called me.

“So where is your dream man?” My mom asked. She seemed a little annoyed with me at the moment.

“I don’t know. Maybe he gave me the wrong flight information. I’m going to call him.”

I grabbed my cell phone and moved away from my mother. I quickly dialed his number. It rang and rang, finally taking me to voicemail.

“Hey Nick. This is Emma. I hope everything is okay. I think you gave me the wrong flight information. Since you aren’t answering I will assume you are on a plane to Colorado. Call me when you get this.” I hung up the phone and went to join my mother.

--------------------------

He heard his phone ring. Nick attempted to answer it but couldn’t find it on the nightstand. Slowly he opened his eyes. He picked up his phone and looked at the time. Fuck, he thought I missed my flight.

Quickly he got up, threw on jeans and a t-shirt. He brushed his teeth and packed his suitcase. Twenty minutes later he was at the airport attempting to get another flight.

Once he got his new flight arrangements, Nick grabbed a cup of strong coffee. He couldn’t believe this was happening to him. Emma was going to be so pissed at him. He needed to call her.

“Emma. I’m so sorry.” He said when I answered the phone.

“Nick, what’s wrong? Where are you?” I moved away from my mother who giving me the look of disdain.

“I overslept and missed my flight. I got a flight out that leaves in twenty minutes.”

“That’s okay. Do you want me to wait for you at the airport?” I asked.

“Nah.  Give me the address and I’ll take a cab there. Go enjoy your family until I get there.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m positive. I love you baby. I can’t wait to see you. Sorry I messed things up. ”

“You didn’t sweetie. I love you and can’t wait to see you. Bye.” I click my phone off.

“So what happened? Was he off screwing another woman?” My mother questioned angrily.

“No. He’s not dad. Not every guy is an asshole that sleeps around. He overslept. Nick got another flight out and will meet us at the house. He didn’t want me sitting in the airport. He wants us to spend time with our family. Don’t judge him before you even know him.”

------------------------------

I walked into my brother’s house. It smelled like a gingerbread house.

“Hello, anyone home?”

My younger brother walked into the foyer. He pulled me into a bear hug.

“Emma, you look absolutely stunning.”

“You’re looking pretty good yourself. How are you?”

“I’m doing well. Nick will be here later. He missed his flight. Watch out for mom. She’s in a pissed off mood.”

“What did you do now?” He teased.

“What makes you think I did anything wrong, Gabe?” I feigned innocence.

“You always do something to piss her off.”

“She’s mad because Nick is famous. She’s mad because I’m dating a celebrity. She’s mad that he missed his flight. She thought he did it on purpose.”

“Oh this is going to be a fun holiday. Who’s this hot celebrity you’re dating?” My brother Steve walked into the foyer.

I sat on the stairs leading to the second floor.

“Nick Carter.”

“Thee fabuloso Nick Carter. The one who slept with Paris Hilton, Willa Ford, and countless other women.”

“That would be the one.” I said quietly.

“How did you snag such a delicious man?” Steve sat next to me.

“My friend set me up on a date with him.”

“Is he good in bed?”

“Don’t know. We’ve just been together for a month.”

“Dang. I was trying to live vicariously through you. Is he coming for Thanksgiving?”

“He will be here in a few hours. Why do you need to live vicariously through me?”

“Tony and I broke up. At least you have someone.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It sucks. At least my Emy-Woo is happy.”

It was nice to be with my family. It was going to be a long weekend.