- Text Size +

Nick and I were easing our way into married life. It really didn’t seem much different than before we were married. I mean we lived together for two years before our marriage.

Nick was busy working on his solo CD. He spent a lot of time at the studio. Most new wives would be jealous, but I wasn’t. I have supported his career since the beginning. Music was his passion. It’s what made him happy.

I was working part time at a local preschool teaching four year olds. I loved my job. The children were adorable and kept me busy three days out of the week.

I was planning on touring with Nick when his CD was released. I enjoyed touring and traveling all over the world.

Today was my day off. I was busy cleaning up the house. This afternoon I was going to run some errands and meet Nick for a quick dinner. He was going to be recording late into the night.

My cell phone rang. I quickly answered it thinking it was Nick.

“Hello! Speaking. Okay. Really. Thank you.” I hung up and shut off my phone.

I quickly grabbed my bag and headed out for an afternoon of errands.

------------------------

I parked my car in the lot and quickly hurried into Wal-Mart. I head to the baby section. I took my time looking through the various baby items everything was so tiny. I placed a rattle, bib, bottle, and onesie into the buggy.

I continued walking around Wal-Mart making some purchases. My mind was full of a lot of thoughts.  I didn’t even notice someone standing next to me.

“Don’t say hi to me Ashton.” Sage said jokingly.

“Oh sorry. I was preoccupied. How are you?”

“I’m fine. How was the honeymoon?”

“It was great. I didn’t see much of Hawaii.” I smiled at the thought of my honeymoon.

“I can tell by the looks of your buggy.”

My eyes fell to my purchases. I have to admit our honeymoon was very productive.

“I just found out today. I wanted to surprise Nick with a gift.” I gushed.

“He’s going to be so happy. It always seemed like Nick wanted to be a daddy.”

“Yeah, with all the pregnancy scares we’ve had, I know he wants a houseful of kids.”

“You two are going to make the best parents. We need to get together. I have to get back to work. Call me.” Sage said in one breath.

“I’ll call you soon.” I gave her a hug, and she was on her way.

I made my way to the checkout. I couldn’t contain my excitement.

“Aren’t you Nick Carter’s wife?” The cashier asked.

“Umm…yes.” I answered quickly.

“Are you pregnant?” She inquired as she placed the baby items in a bag.

“No. My friend is pregnant. Her shower is this weekend. I needed a few more items for her gift.” I lied. I prayed that I sounded believable. I was not good at lying.

“Oh okay. You and Nick would have the cutest babies. It would be like a mix of Kevin and Nick.” A baby looking like my brother and Nick kind of grossed me out.  Yuck. I know she meant that Kevin and I looked a lot alike, but the way she said it. Oh, my goodness.

I quickly paid for my purchases and left the store. I had about twenty minutes before I had to meet Nick. When I got to my car, I quickly placed the baby items in a gift bag. I found the card and wrote a short but sweet note to Nicky. Finally I was ready to go meet my wonderful husband.

----------------------------------------

I drove into the parking lot of the small family owned Italian restaurant. We have been eating there a lot since the honeymoon. I saw Nick standing by his car talking on his cell phone. I pulled my car in the spot next to him.

“Okay, J. That works for me.”

I grabbed the phone out of Nick’s hand. “Alex.”

“Hey Ash. How are you?’

“Good, but I would be better if he was done with this phone call.” I said in a half joking, half serious tone.

“I feel the love. I get it. Go enjoy your time with the hubby.”

“I will. Bye.” I snapped the phone shut and gave it back to Nick. He grinned at me.

“What’s in the bag?” He tried taking it from me. I moved it away from him.

“None of your business.”

“Is that any way to talk to your husband?” He took my free hand in his.

“Yes, when I don’t want you to see something.” I kissed his cheek.

We walked hand in hand into the restaurant. The owners were standing there.

“Aww there’s our favorite couple.” Irena smiled at us and gave us both a bug.

“Can we have a private table in the back?” I whispered in her ear.

“Anything for you. I can see the glow on your face. Is it what I think?” She spoke softly in my ear. I nodded my head. “Congrats!”

Nick looked at us strangely. Irena walked us to a small booth in the back of the restaurant. She handed us a menu.

“Take your time. I’ll be back in a few minutes to place your order.”

“What were you two whispering about?”

“Nothing. How’s recording going?”

“Good. Almost finished with another song. What are going to get? I’m starving.”

“I was thinking about chicken parmesan and a cup of wedding soup. What about you?”

“I was thinking a bowl of wedding soup, a toss salad, and spaghetti with meatballs.”

“Wow. You are hungry.” I smiled at him.

“Well this morning, I was queasy and didn’t eat any breakfast. By lunch I was starving. We ordered out, and I ate a lot.”

“Why didn’t you wake me up before you left this morning?” I grabbed a breadstick.

“You were exhausted last night. I didn’t have the heart to wake you up. You looked adorable sleeping this morning.” He chuckled.

Irena came and took our order. We sat silently for a few minutes. I figured it was time to give him his gift.

“Nick, today I went shopping after I ran some errands. I saw this and had to get it for you.” I handed him the gift bag.

“Baby girl, you don’t have to get me anything. Your love is all I need.” My heart melted.

I slowly watched him take the first item out. He eyes grew bigger as he placed the rattle on the table. He looked at me.

“Is that what I think it is?” He asked in surprise.

“What do you think it is?” I answered back.

“Oh, Ashton! We’re having a baby!”

He came over to my side of the booth. His hands went to my belly.

“Nick, you’re going to be a daddy.”

“I’m so excited. I’ve been waiting for this moment.” He placed his lips to mine. Nick slowly kissed me. His hands stayed on my stomach. I forgot that we were in a restaurant. My hands moved to his hair.

“Oh I see the momma told you the good news.” Irena smiled at us.

“We’re going to be parents!” He yelled cheerfully.

“I am so happy for the two of you. You deserve all the happiness a baby brings.”  She placed our soup and salad on the table. Then Irena gave Nick a big kiss on the cheek.

“Enjoy your meal. I’ll be back with the rest.”

“You’ve made me the happiest man in the world. I’m gonna be a daddy.”

“I’m glad you are excited. I wanted to tell you as soon as I found out this afternoon, but I wanted to do it in person.”

“I’m glad you waited. I’m glad you are going to be the mother of my child.  I wouldn’t want to have kids with anyone else.” He said sincerely bringing tears to my eyes.

“I can’t wait to tell your mom.” He got quiet for a moment. “I guess all that time alone on our honeymoon paid off.”

“It certainly did.” My face turned red.

“I love how you still get shy when we talk about making love. It’s so sweet. I can’t wait to make love to the mother of my child.”

“To bad you have to go back to the studio tonight.”

“When I get home in the morning, I’m going to ravish you.”

“I’ll be waiting.”