- Text Size +

The family was sitting around the table eating breakfast. The day after Thanksgiving was busy at the Carter house. With the annual Carter family Christmas party two weeks away, everyone would be helping.

“Here is the game plan for today. “ I took a bite of my bagel. “Jackson and Aiden, you can help your dad bring all the boxes of Christmas decorations down from the attic. Rachel you are going to bake cookies with Tarah, Karah, and Tylie. Kevin and Brian are going to watch Rory and the triplets. Nia and my mom are going to help me decorate.”

“It’s a good thing your family loves you. I don’t know anyone who would do all that for someone.” Nick teased, but he was serious. His wife’s family would do anything for her.

“Have you gotten any RSVPs back?” Rachel stuffed a piece of grapefruit in her mouth.

“Aunt Jackie and Uncle Harold are coming this year. All the Richardson siblings are coming.” I replied. “Nick, I got a reply back from Aaron. He’s coming with a date.”

“That’s great. I hope he found someone nice.”

Jackson stood up and took the empty plates to the kitchen. It was time to make the house Christmassy.

-------------------------------

The house was looking somewhat festive. Jackson and Aiden got annoyed with helping their dad and decided to take care of the little kids. This left Brian and Kevin to help Nick. I thought it was kind of dangerous to have those three stringing lights outside the house.

I was decorating the eight foot Christmas tree in the living room. It was my favorite tree. It held a collection of all the ornaments we had bought our children from birth. It brought back so many memories. I think I as teary eyed the whole time I was decorating the tree.

I made my back into the living room. I had made several trips to the bathroom to pee or because of morning sickness. My mother kept looking at me strangely.

“Ashton, are you feeling alright?”

“I’m fine mom. Why do you ask?” I placed the garland on the mantle above the fireplace.

“I’m just concerned with how much time you are spending in the bathroom.” My mom looked at me over her glasses.

I was not in the mood to have a lecture from my mom. I don’t think I was going to be that lucky. My mom had other ideas. She was going to set me on the couch and make me talk. I know that look whenever I saw it.

“I’m fine.” I tried to ignore her.

“I highly doubt that. Why won’t you talk to me?” She sat down on the couch.

“I talk to you everyday. Why would I be hiding anything from you?” I continued to fix the garland, so my back was to my mom. She would take one look at my face and know I was lying.

“Save it, Ashton. I know you’re pregnant. Nick already told me.” Ann said sadly. I knew I had hurt her feelings.

I saw Nia leaving the room out of the corner of my eye. I was now alone with my mother.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Mom, it…just…um never came up.” I lowered my face. I felt guilty for not telling her.

“Every other time you were pregnant I would be the first person you called. Now you don’t even want me to know.”

“Mom, I was going to tell you. It’s different this time.” I attempted to explain. No one, not even Nick could understand how I was feeling.

“Ashton, you seem so unhappy. This isn’t you.” My mom said with worry.

“I’m not unhappy. Everything is just harder. Nick and I are getting along great. Our relationship keeps getting stronger.” I paused. “The kids are growing up. Jackson will be leaving in the fall. Rachel’s a woman. Aiden’s almost ten. The triplets keep me going. Rory is getting big. I feel like I can’t do it some days.”

“Honey, that’s what it is to be a parent. Everything happens at once. It would be too easy if major events happened one at a time, but they don’t.”

“I know that mom. You’re not making me feel any better. There’s so much going with Lo Lo. Her temper tantrums are getting worse. This pregnancy is harder on me. All I do is spend in the bathroom. I’m happy that we are having another baby, but life is just getting in the way this time. There’s no time to enjoy it.” I told her honestly.

“Someday things will slow down. Then you and Nick will be bored. You both thrive on chaos and drama. You always have and always will.” My mom smiled at me.

“There are days I feel like I can’t do it. It’s just too much. Other days, I think I can do it all and more. Lately, though I feel like I can’t do this.” I sighed. I was totally frustrated.

“Have you talked to Nick about this?”

“He’s getting ready to go on tour. How can I put this all on him? Nick doesn’t want to leave us, but he doesn’t have a choice. I don’t want to make things harder for him.” I started feeling anxious.

“Remember that when you stop communicating with your husband things fall apart. You’ve got to be honest. It might help make things easier.” My mom gave me a hug. She did have a way of putting things into perspective.

“You’re right.”

“Plus, I am going to be moving in with you.”

“Really.” I screamed with excitement. I was happy to have my mom living with us.

“Yes. Nick and I talked last night. I’m ready to sell the farm. Nick offered me the cottage. I know you need help. It’s the perfect solution.”

I grabbed my mom and started jumping up and down. Nick and the guys walked in at that moment.

“What’s going on?” Kevin asked looking amused.

“Mom is moving in with the crazy Carter’s”

Nick ran over, put his arms around us and jumped around with us. I felt some of my stress go away. Everything was going to be alright.

We broke apart. “Are you okay with that?” Nick whispered in my ear.

“I’m very happy about that. Thanks for doing this for me. You’re the best husband.” I murmured in his ear.

“I’ll remember that the next time you throw something at me.” He bent down and gave me a long kiss. I forgot that anyone was in the room.

“That’s enough.” Kevin teased. We ignored him and continued to kiss.