- Text Size +

After church, Jackson and some of his friends settled down to watch some football in the family room. Aiden was reading a book in the living room. The triplets were playing with blocks.

Nick and I sat with Rachel and Kolby in the kitchen.

“Mr. and Mrs. Carter, I think Rachel is a wonderful girl.” Kolby said nervously. “I have spent a lot of time getting to know her. I really care about her. Would it be possible for me to date your daughter?”

Nick and I looked at each other. We both knew it was coming because of Nick’s spying. We gave each other the parent look and turned to face them.

“We think that would be fine.” I said with a smile.

“But, we need to set some ground rules.” Nick said serious manner. It cracked me up because he reminded me of Kevin when we started dating.

“Sure, daddy. We will follow whatever rules you want us to.”  Rachel looked at Kolby. He nodded his head.

“Rule number one is no making out. I don’t mind a small peck on the lips, but nothing more than that. Rule number two, you must keep your grades up and not neglect your families or after school activities. Rule number three, if you are alone a door must remain open at all times. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, daddy. Thank you.” She gave him a hug. Then she walked over to me and gave me one.

“Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Carter. I promise to treat Rachel with respect and honor. I will honor the rules. You don’t have to worry about us having…sex. I took the purity pledge and am waiting for marriage.” Kolby shook Nick’s hand.

“We’re going to go for a walk.” Rachel said as they walked out of the house.

I looked at Nick and started laughing.

“What is so funny?”

“You sounded like Kevy with your rules.”

“She’s my little girl. I can’t let some guy take advantage of her. What kind of dad would I be?”

“I think you are the perfect dad. Go watch the game with Jackson.” I shooed him out of the room. I had cookies to bake and didn’t need him eating all of them.

----------------------

“Dear God, thank you for this food we eat. Amen.” Aiden prayed. Everyone began to it.

“Did you have a nice afternoon with Kolby?” I asked Rachel.

“It was nice. We took a walk on the beach.” She sighed dramatically. Nick looked at her. You could tell he wasn’t thrilled with her having a boyfriend. She was growing up whether he wanted her to or not.

“Rachey has a boyfriend. Rachey has a boyfriend.” Jackson teased.

“Shut up. You are just jealous. You’re such a creep.” Rachel shrieked. She gave her brother a dirty look and he just laughed.

“Why would I be jealous of you and Mr. Church Boy? You both are just so squeaky clean.”

“And what’s wrong with that?” I asked my son.

“Umm…nothing I guess. If you’re Rachel, he’s perfect. I am not into the squeaky clean virginal type.” He answered honestly. This was so not dinner conversation, but getting Jackson to talk was wonderful. He usually kept quiet about this type of thing.

I placed a spoonful of apple sauce onto Lucas’ plate. Then I turned my attention back to my oldest son.

“What’s your type?” Nick asked.

“I don’t really have a type. I’m young and single. I enjoy flirting and dating.” He said cockily.

“But you know you don’t like the good girl.” I looked at him.

“I never said I didn’t like them. It’s just that I find them boring.” He quickly started to eat.

“Mommy and Dad, what’s a milf?” Aiden asked curiously.

I dropped my fork on the floor. Nick started coughing on his chicken. I noticed Jackson sliding down in his seat. I bent down and got my fork.

“Umm…it’s a term people use to describe…umm…where did you hear that Aiden?” Nick attempted to get the words out.

“Jacks and his friends were using that word. His friend Andrew said mommy was a milf. Then Jason agreed with him. Why did he call mom that?”

I was mortified. I couldn’t believe Jackson’s friends were talking about me like that. I struggled to remain to calm, but inside I was seething. I saw that Jackson’s face was red and he looked pissed off and embarrassed.

“Aiden, those boys were saying that they thought your mom was pretty. Milf is a big person word, Aidy. I don’t want to hear you saying it until you’re a lot older.” Nick didn’t feel like that dinner was appropriate place to explain the term to his nine year old.

Everyone continued to eat. I saw Nick whisper in our oldest son’s ear.

----------------------

I sat on the couch cuddling Rory. She was almost asleep.  Nick was having a man to man chat with Jackson. I was getting sleepy. I decided to put Rory to bed. I slowly walked upstairs to the nursery.

Jackson walked out of his room. “Here mom, let me help you put her to bed.” He took Rory from me.

I followed him into the room. He placed Rory on the changing table and put a clean diaper on her. Then he gave her kisses and placed Rory in her crib.

“Thanks Jackson.” I ruffled his hair.

We both sat down on the double rocker.

“Mom, I want to apologize for what my friends said. It was totally inappropriate.”

“You’re forgiven. You have to watch what you say around little ones. Why were you talking like that in front of Aiden?”

“Mom, I swear he wasn’t in there when we we’re talking. I think he was spying. The guys and I were watching the game.”

“Aiden’s a sneaky one. I can’t believe you’re growing up.”

“You say that every time we talk.” He smiled his trademark Carter grin.

“I know. I can’t help it. That’s what mom’s do.”

“I’ve decided where I want to go college.”

“Where’s that?” I looked at my almost adult son.

“I applied to the University of Tampa. I’m waiting to find out if I’ve been accepted.”

“Jackson, that’s a great school. I loved it.”

“I know mom. The way you talked about it, made it sound like the perfect choice for me.” He beamed at me. There was the son I knew when he was seven. He was all about mom.

“I’m proud of you for making the choice on your own. What did you decide to major in?”

“Athletic training.”

“I’m so proud of you.”

Jackson placed his arm around me. We sat quietly rocking. I was going to enjoy every moment I could with my son. Before long I wouldn’t have these moments.