- Text Size +
From Now On Our Troubles Will Be Miles Away...

"We have a really special treat for everyone tonight..." Brian was saying, holding his old-fashioned style microphone in his palms like he was cradling something precious.

All four of them were perched on stools that sat in pools of light cast by the spots that were on them, accented by the glow of actual candles. The vibe was very similar to that of our Night Out performance, and it had a comfortable, Christmasy feel, as a Christmas tree, strung with colored lights, loomed behind them. They had on dorky holiday sweaters - AJ's featuring a menorah and Nick's a light-up Christmas tree that blinked - and Santa Claus hats.

The stage floor was covered with oriental rugs and presents, individually wrapped CD singles of the fellas singing a couple Christmas songs, for the fans to bring home after the show.

Brian grinned, "Tonight, we have a very special guest appearance by -" he paused for dramatic effect, knowing once he started the sentence, everyone was going to go beserk, "My cousin, Kevin Richardson..."

"Oh my God!" screamed one girl. Several others echoed the cry. Others just screamed.

I walked out onto the stage sedately, and a roadie rushed over with a fifth stool for me to sit on. Nick grinned, "Welcome back Kev," he said, smiling, and I could see the joy glimmering in his eyes this time.

AJ reached over and squeezed my arm.

"Merry Christmas everyone," I stammered, in awe.

It was hard to believe, sitting there on the stage, that less than an hour ago - or had it been longer? - I'd been ready to quit existing... to give all this up. I smiled, "My father," I began, "Was a wonderful man.. and he loved Christmas more than any other holiday..." I smiled, "He said Christmas was a time of miracles, and - well..." I smiled, "Sitting here with you tonight... I.. --"

And then I saw her.

Kristen.

She had just pushed the door to the theater open. She was wearing a dress, with a long, wool coat on over it, and her hair done up nice and pearl earrings. She had on petite gloves and was carrying a little clutch. She looked like she just stepped out of an old fashioned western or something. Some film from the 20's anyways.

"Kris," I whispered. I stood up and all eyes turned to see my wife.

She walked smoothly down the aisle of the auditorium, Mason in tow, and carefully was assisted on stage by security. Fans watching. Several giggled and pointed or waved to Mason, who was hoisted onto the stage also and looked around, blinking at all the unfamiliar faces curiously.

Kristen wrapped her arms around my waist.

I wrapped my arms around her, too.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, "I've been so cold lately." I pulled her close and left a kiss on the crook of her shoulder where it met her neck. "I promise, it'll be different now."

Kristen's face was warm from the ice cold outside.

"I love you Kevin," she whispered.

"I love you, Kristen," I said in return, "Don't you ever forget that." I smiled. "I need you, Kris."

She smiled up at me.

I turned back to the microphone. "I believe in Christmas miracles," I said, smiling. "Because... miracles, the happen everyday. Miracles like my friends," I gestured to the fellas, "And my family." I squeezed Kristen's shoulder.

The band started playing quietly, and I cleared my throat.

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas..." I sang.. and in my heart, I could almost hear my father... singing alongside me... smiling because I'd remembered that Christmas really was a time of miracles after all.