- Text Size +
Aline and John had their plates in hand and headed to a small table away from where the band and crew were seated. “Hey, Aline!” she turned around at the sound of her name just to see Nick waving at her “Come sit with us!” She hesitated a little, she didn't want to be the kind of reporter who bother people early in the morning, but then again Nick invited her.

You just can't say no to a Nick invitation, can you?

Aline gave John an apologetic look and headed to Nick's table. AJ, Lauren and Rochelle were sitting with him and they all greeted her “So, how's the bunk bed treating ya?” Rochelle asked “Honey, this girl spent fifteen days sleeping in tents in the Maori community in New Zealand, I'm sure this bus is a piece of cake” Aline laughed at AJ's response and nodded her head in agreement while chewing on a bagel.

“Tents in New Zealand, huh?” She swallowed hard as Kevin approached and took a seat next to her.
“Yeah it was a very...” she paused and looked at Kevin while trying to read the very cynical look on his face “...interesting experience” she finally said facing her almost empty plate. He went on “So tell me, were the Maoris ok with early morning interviews or you just didn't bother asking?” Lauren almost choked on her orange juice and all eyes were suddenly on Kevin.

Aline looked around and then back to Kevin. He was chewing on a apple, facing her and waiting for an answer. Aline took a sip of her orange juice, pressed her hands against her jeans pants and took a light breath “Well...” she paused and looked at everybody else “At first they were indeed worried about non Maori people around their community, but when they realized those visitors offered no harm to them, they were actually pretty nice and welcoming, making the experience an incredibly nice one...”

Kevin was about to make another snarky comment when he realized Aline wasn't finished “If you happen to go to NZ on tour , you should spend a day or two with the Maoris, you'd be surprised with the things you might learn from them” She finished saying. Nick and AJ had small grins on their faces while the girls were trying not to laugh. Aline excused herself and left the table “Thanks for the chat, I'll catch up with you guys later”.

“Wow Kevin, that was uncalled for...” Nick said shaking his head “ Did she really thought she would just seat here and start asking questions? I mean, don't we have set up times for interviews?” Kevin said as if he was totally right. “Dude, Nick invited her to have a seat. Why do you have to be so fucking rude?” AJ said. Kevin gave him the cold shoulder and kept on eating, the table was now quiet.

Aline went back to where John was seated, he asked her what was wrong but she didn't bother answering. She wasn't going to allow a cranky old man to ruin her mood – maybe he's not a morning person – She thought to herself. She'd rather believe that than he was just a straight up asshole.

After breakfast, the reporters were allowed to begin their interview time. Some of them were following the group with cameras and capturing the stage set up, sound tests and kids running around. Aline just snapped some pictures and walked around trying to capture the buzz around her.

Since she was just writing for the magazine, she didn't feel the urge to take shit load of pictures or make useless videos and bother them. It was easier for her to just be around people and write her own feelings and point of view.

The group was gathered backstage in a huge room with food, beverages, large comfortable couches
a vending machine and a PS3 connected to a huge LCD screen for much of Nick's enjoyment. Aline was seated on the floor playing with James, Baylee and Brian's little girl while Leighanne and Leigh watched them.

The reason why they felt so comfortable with her was the fact she didn't make them feel like they were being interviewed, she would just throw random questions at them as if she was having a regular conversation while they would be doing their thing around the place. They were also very much curious about her own stories as they kept asking her questions.

Aline was looking around, but still paying attention to the game she was playing with the kids. She saw John chatting with a roadie, Nancy checking her nails and not giving a fuck (her camera man was long gone to the bathroom, probably trying to get away from her) and Kevin was seated on the couch in front of her, he was on the phone and his eyes were closed.

She watched as his expression lighted at the sound of his son's voice on the phone “Hey buddy, dad misses you so, so much already” she heard him saying “I love you too big boy, I can't wait to see you and mom again” He still had his eyes closed, but the smile on his lips were the most sincere and sweet that Aline haven't seen since she met him.

Aline smiled to herself thinking that maybe, just maybe there was a chance Kevin wouldn't make her life miserable, after all, he was just missing his family, that's all. She suddenly missed her dad. She thought of mom and sister and a lump formed in her throat. She excused herself and went outside to call home.