- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen

"We use these three right here for the program," Addy explained. "These three are the most gentle and respond well to anything."

Mason told me one time that when he and mom were really small, the barn only held two horses. Over the years Addy and Kevin acquired more land around their quaint little farmhouse and the barn had been expanded. It now held seven horses.

The horses Addy pointed two were beautifu. One was white, one was brown, and one had the same color hair as my own: jet black. I reached out my hand and ran it up and down the black horses' muzzle. It snorted and tried to press even closer to the stall door.

"See what I mean?" Addy said with a smile. I laughed and nodded.

"How many kids come for each session?"

"The groups are small. Usually five or six kids. They take turns."

"I've got to admit that this sounds much better than cleaning out stalls," I said. Addy laughed.

"I wouldn't want to take the job away from Joe, you know."

My mouth dropped open. "Joe?"

"Starting tomorrow he's supposed to come out here and help me."

"I don't have a good feeling about that," I mumbled. Addy didn't look worried.

"He's got some anger issues, but he's not a bad kid," Addy paused. "I'm so sorry to hear about your dad though. He's done so well for so many years."

I stared down at the ground. I told myself I wasn't going to cry. "I don't know what happened," I whispered.

Addy's arm wrapped around my shoulders. "Hey, now. Don't worry. Your dad's a stubborn man. We've always had a nice competitive relationship. He doesn't give out."

Addy kissed my temple and I couldn't stop the tear that slipped down my cheek. I hugged her tightly. She wrapped her arms around me and held me close.

It wasn't until I felt a wet drop on my head that I realize she was crying too.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


The next day, Tuesday, was spent with Kim at a retirement home. By the end of the day, I had secretly excused myself to cry several times. The last time, Kim found me in the bathroom, plotting my face with wadded up pieces of tissue.

"You okay, Ally?" she asked. She handed me some fresh tissue.

"I'm sorry," I said. "It's just..."

"It's hard. I know."

"The lady I just did was so happy, but she just came up to me and asked when it was going to be her turn," I said shakily. "She doesn't even remember saying that she felt like Marilyn Monroe."

Kim smiled sadly. "In a lot of ways, going to the teen home is easier. I mean, they remember from visit to visit. Yet, it's depressing going to either because you know that no matter the age, all of these people have basically been abandoned.

"I'd never abandon my grandma," I said. "Or my parents."

Kim smiled. "I believe that. But, everyone's situation is different. The main thing to remember is that even if it's a few seconds, you've made these people happy."

With that, I hiccuped the last of my tears and went out to finish my day. By the time Mason picked me up, I was exhausted.

"You better eat a lot tonight for dinner, birdy," he said. "You look like you lost ten pounds working today."

I blushed. I loved when he called me birdy. "I've gained five pounds since the last time you and Shel came to visit us," I said. Mason grinned.

"You're destined to be a model, you know that?"

I looked at him in surprise. "Me?"

"Absolutely. A humanitarian model. It has a nice ring, doesn't it?"

I settled back in my seat feeling warm all over. I stared out the window, my smile growing larger. "Actually, it does."

Shelby was on the phone when we walked in the back door. Brenna tackled Mason.

"You're home on time!" she declared in glee. He scooepd her up. "I heard my Beaner was busy helping mommy in the kitchen!" he said exuberantly. Brenna kissed his cheek and nodded. "Yup!"

Shel was on the phone. She turned to me and waved me forward. "It's dad," she mouthed.

In a moment, I was standing by her. I pressed my ear close, but I couldn't hear what he was saying.

"Dad," Shel said. "Ally just got in. I'm so glad to hear you're doing okay," she said lovingly. She listened for a moment longer and then held out the phone. I grabbed it.

"Daddy?" I said breathlessly. I relaxed the moment I heard him laugh.

"Hey sweetheart. How are things going?"

"Good," I said quickly, not caring about myself. "How are you?"

"I'm doing good. I just got done with a meditation session. I have an evening group therapy session to attend."

"Have you talked to mom?" I asked. My heart began to pound. The thought of divorce wasn't ever far from my mind. I realized I needed to call Stefie.

"I talked to your mom yesterday," dad said. "She misses you guys just as much as I do. But, she's never gotten time to herself like this. It's a good thing for the both of us. Have you seen Joe?"

I hesitated. "Yes."

Dad sighed. "Is he causing Kevin problems?"

"Not exactly," I said. "I mean, Uncle Kev has it under control. You know, Joe."

"I know Joe," dad repeated. "He's bitching the entire way, isn't he?"

I laughed. "Yes."

"Well, let's just hope that Brayden and Tristan can pour most of that mouthiness into performing and staying out of trouble."

"Are they doing okay?"

"I'm sure they are. I'm calling them next. I just wanted to hear your voice. And Shelby's. And Brenna's."

I detected a note of homesickness that made me even more homesick. "I'm proud of you dad," I said.

"Thank you," dad said in a voice that hinted he was seconds away from crying. "Next time I call I want you to tell me all about your jobs, okay?"

I smiled. "Okay."

We exchanged 'I love you's' and I hung up slowly. I turned to Shel; we exchanged a silent look that was a mixture of sadness and hope.

"I made SKA-GETTI!" Brenna announced. She was still clinging to Mason. "AND BOOGER BREAD!"

"Garlic bread," Shelby said with a laugh. I smiled. The whole time I was talking to dad, my stomach was growling.

"Sounds yummy," I said happily. Hearing dad's voice was the boost I needed after such an emotional day.

"Let's eat!" Mason yelled. Brenna threw her arms in the air.

"SKA-GETTTTTII!!!!!"