- Text Size +
Chapter One

-- Latin America, March 2009 --

"Why is it that every time we even mention South America to you, you get out your pancho?"

"The senoritas love my pancho," I explained. "It's tradition. I've done it since Black & Blue."

Howie shook his head. Then he hugged me. He had been doing a lot of that lately - hugs, I mean. Leigh's pregnancy hormones were rubbing off on him. He had become less like Yosemite Sam and more like Tweety Bird. And the wink was coming back out in full force.

"Just don't trip in that thing," he warned (and winked). I snorted. If I was tripping, he was going to be my target.

I loved being a giant amongst short men.

"So the ladies love your pancho, huh?"

Howie turned, saw the look on Lauren's face, and took off, no doubt to make sure his mother hen was still sitting on their egg. That was the kind of stupid analogy he had used all tour. If the kid came out with feathers, then I'd be interested. I smiled at my girlfriend.

"It's all about the image," I reminded her. She rolled her eyes.

Lauren had been one of the best things to ever happen to me. We had started off as friends, hitting the gym, getting some fro-yo, and then things had just kinda happened from there. She wasn't money-hungry; her daddy was fuckin' loaded. She wasn't star-struck; she saved that type of lust for one of those princes over across the pond.

It was the perfect relationship.

"You're sweating," she remarked.

I ran the back of my hand over my forehead. It was soaked. I made a face. "I can't turn my friggin' sweat glands off," I complained.

"Maybe if you weren't wearing a wool pancho, you'd be cooler," she teased.

I tore the thing off. The warm air hit my bare arms; a white tank top and jeans were all I had on. Even without the pancho, I could feel the sweat beading up, ready to drip down.

"Are you getting sick?" she asked. I shook my head. "Naw, it's just the humidity," I lied.

She kissed me quickly. "I'm going to go chill out with Rochelle before the show," she said. I nodded. She gave my bicep a gentle squeeze and headed out of the dressing room.

I headed towards the showers. I couldn't recall how many showers a day I'd been taking lately, but I knew it was way more than I had ever taken in my life.

I yanked my shirt over my head. As I undid my belt, I glanced at my reflection.

For years, I had bugged Brian about his sensitivity of showing off his chest. He hated the light scar that ran down his body; it was a lasting reminder of his heart surgery. Now I knew his pain. Three angry jagged lines zigged diagionally across my chest. The skin was puckered and pink.

It wasn't fair; for once in my life I had a six pack, and I couldn't even show it off.

On the other hand, the doctors had told me I was lucky to be alive. I don't remember much about the night. The fear - yeah I remember the fear. And the claw. The doctors explained that I had encountered a large grey wolf. Their food supply was in short demand that time of year, and I had been an enticing dinner.

No one could really tell me how I survived. You would think if I was dinner, there would have been more than scratches. It was a miracle that Brian's bus had been traveling that road, headed back to our own stranded bus with gasoline. They had almost run me over. At first they thought I was road kill, but Brian said his 'sixth sense' had kicked in. I just think he knows my body more than he'd ever actually admit.

We're metrosexual like that.

I had been in the hospital for a week. I would have been released sooner, but they couldn't get my temperature down. Finally, with no other apparent sign of illness, they had no choice but to let me go.

The wounds healed, but the scars remained.

Turning from the mirror, I kicked off my jeans and started the shower. I was the only freak that loved ice cold showers. It was the one thing that could cool me off.

"Ohh," I moaned in delight as the cold spray tickled my shoulders. I hunched over and let the water run down my back.

I ran my hand across my face, wiping away the sweat. I stood for a few minutes, eyes closed, just enjoying the sensation. I rubbed the back of my neck to release the stress that was building.

That's when I felt them. I paused and did it again. Coarse hairs, not like the ones at the nape of my neck.

Five minutes later, Brian walked in on me. I was holding a tiny hand mirror, leaning to and fro trying to see my backside. When I did get a momentary glimpse, I started to sweat all over again.

"Whatcha doin'?" Bri asked. He grinned.

There are very few people that I trust explicitly. Brian was one of them. I suddenly felt like I had fallen into an episode of Family Guy.

"Bri," I said awkwardly. "I need you to shave me."

His eyes widened. "Shave you? Now wait a minute--"

I sighed and turned around. "Woah," I heard.

"Yeah."

"What did you do? Subscribe to Body Hair Club for Men?"

"I don't know. It's just there and I'm hot."

"I disagree. Women don't find hairy men hot."

"BRI!"

Brian started to laugh. I whirled around.

"Are you gonna help me or not?" I asked. "I can't reach."

Bri looked around. "I can't believe some of the things we do."

I held out my razor. "It's not like I'm asking you to shave my balls," I said.

"Good, because there's no way in hell I'm going there. That's Lauren's job."

You can imagine how awkward the scene was. I was butt naked leaning up against the wall. Bri was trying to keep his distance, but there's only so much distance you can have if you're trying to shave hair off a person's neck and back.

"This hair feels weird," Brian commented.

"It must be one of the supplements I'm taking," I said.

"What's it called? Vitamin WolfMan?"

I started to laugh, but the sound lodged in my throat. I stared down at my chest.

Grey wolves. Germany. Forest. Hair on my back. Sweat.

Could it be?

"There ya go," Bri said. "You so owe me."

I turned around and grabbed the razor. Coarse hairs still stuck out from it.

"Thanks," I said. Bri tore off his shirt.

"You're done with your shower right? I don't think I can shower with you after shaving ya. I've hit my man-on-man quota for the day."

I smiled distractedly. "Right."

I grabbed my clothes while Bri stripped down. I got to the door just as the shower turned on.

A bead of sweat was already dripping down my cheek.