- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Three

"This is great. What is this stuff?"

Becky laughed. I knew her name was Becky now. After I had stopped gawking at her boobs, I had asked her. She didn't seem offended that I didn't know her name. She held up another spoonful of heaven. I took it greedily.

"It's beef broth," she said.

"It tastes amazing."

"Well, you've been fed out of a bag for awhile," she explained. "I'm sure anything would taste good."

I smiled and nodded. As I was opening my mouth for another mouthful, the door banged open. I expected Kev.

Instead, Nurse Ribbit was standing there.

"You," she said angrily.

"Me?" Becky and I said at the same time. She pointed at Becky.

"You! You insolent little bitch!"

"Wait a minute," I croaked. My throat was still raw from the feeding tube.

"What did I do?" Becky asked.

The bloated nurse's face turned scarlet. "I just got fired thanks to you!"

Becky's mouth opened. "I--"

"This is all because of you and that--that--resurrected vegetable there!"

Becky tossed the spoon back into my broth and slid off my bed. She marched over to the nurse, her head held high.

"Listen here," she said hotly. "Maybe if you had one ounce of human kindness, you wouldn't have to pack your bags. You are the meanest, most cold-hearted woman I have ever met. I wouldn't trust a worm with you."

"And worms can grow back if you chop 'em," I said. The death glare I got shut me back up.

"I swear if our paths ever cross again I will make sure you get your comeuppance," Nurse Cranky vowed. Becky gave her a little finger wave and backed up.

"Let's hope it's a cold day in hell before we meet again."

With that, Nurse Bulldog marched out. Becky shook her head, closed the door, and turned back to me.

"Sorry about that," Becky said gently. She pushed back my hair and kissed my forehead.

We got back to the broth-feeding. Becky had just tipped the last spoonful in my mouth when my door opened again.

"Rebekah?" Becky turned. This time, she didn't look so hostile.

"Marge. What brings you down here?"

The lady standing at the door was short and on the heavy side, but other than that she didn't look anything like Nurse Toad. In fact she looked like Aunt Jemima. All of a sudden I wanted pancakes.

"I was hoping we could speak for a minute."

Becky looked at me and then back at the lady. "Of course."

I got a gentle squeeze on my wrist. I lay back against my pillows and yawned.

I couldn't believe that I had been declared brain dead. I was uncomfortable and bruised, but dead?

Not a chance.

As I lay contemplating my good luck, I heard a squeal from outside my room. Seconds later the door flung open and Becky bounced in.

"What happened?" I asked in confusion. Whatever it was, I was totally glad it happened; she climbed back up on my bed and kissed me.

"I," she said proudly. "Am now the head nurse on this floor."

"You deserve it," I said quickly. "Look how well you took care of me."

She blushed. "Well, I've got to tell you Nick..."

"You're special."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


TWO WEEKS LATER

"Careful of that door jamb man."

I popped a wheelie with the chair and got Nick over the jamb.

"Was the sun always this fuckin bright?" he asked, squinting into the glare, "Cos I don't remember it being this fuckin bright." He covered his eyes.

"Yeah it was always this bright," I groaned.

Becky stood beside me, "Poor baby," she muttered, running her fingers across his forehead, pushing his hair out of his face.

Nick leaned into her touch, "I am poor. Keep touchin me."

Kristin pulled the car up at that moment - mercifully before the touching got too serious. "Say goodbye for now, Nick."

"Goodbye for now, Nick," he said, smirking.

I looked at Becky, "Really? You like him? Why?"

She smiled, "I seem to remember someone freaking out pretty well when he thought this one wasn't gonna wake up," she teased.

"Yeah yeah," I grumbled, "Minor details."

"You love me Kevin, you can't deny it," Nick sang.

I glared at Becky. She grinned. Bending low to kiss his forehead she said, "I'll come see you later tonight, okay, sweetie? I'll miss you. The ICU's gonna be really dull without you."

"Yeah, and quieter, too." I rolled my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at me," Nick said, "I was braindead! You can't be mad at me!"

"Uh huh," I mumbled.

I opened the door to the car and helped Nick out of the wheel chair. Mason cooed from the backseat and waved. Nick walked slowly to the car and slid onto the seat. "Buh-bye hospital with gross food I can't stand," he muttered. "Buh-bye sexy nurse who I plan to have sex with later." He blew Becky a kiss. "Buh-bye sexy nurse boobies that I'm gonna lick all --"

"DUDE, my SON is in the car," I snapped. I pushed his legs in the rest of the way and slammed the door.

I turned to Becky. "Thanks for putting up with... doh-doh brains here."

Becky smiled, "Thanks for letting me in on the secret," she said, winking.

I nodded, "Thanks for not having me commited for the polygamist thing."

Becky giggled. "That was great."

I waved goodbye to her and climbed into the passenger seat. I looked back at Nick. "Buckled in?"

"Yes daddy," he said pointedly.

I rolled my eyes. Again.

We were just pulling into traffic at the exit to the hospital campus when Nick said, "Hey Kevin... Guess what?"

"What Nick?"

"I'm 'ennnnryyy the eighth I aaaam...." he sang.

I closed my eyes.

One day, I vowed to myself, I would be forced to kill him. And for the love of blonde, when that day comes, I will so not try to wake him up again.

"'ennnnry the eiiiighth I aaaamm........ ."

THE END