- Text Size +
Chapter Five

"I know we're going to figure a way to get my brain working again," I said. Kev glanced in his rearview mirror; his knuckles were white on the wheel.

"I'm just overworked," Kevin rationalized. "You're going to go away soon."

"Not if you don't pull the plug," I said. Kev sighed.

"You don't want to be a vegetable. Trust me."

"How do you know? I make a pretty good-looking vegetable."

Kev didn't answer. We passed the large red sign that said 'EMERGENCY.'

"Oh, we're going to go visit me?" I asked excitedly. Kev's frown deepened.

He got out of the car; I seemed to disappear in the sunlight. The look of relief on Kev's face said it all; the look disappeared the moment we walked into the lobby.

"Damn," he muttered.

"You can't get rid of me that easily," I said.

"Shut up for a second!"

"Excuse me?"

Kev jerked. The receptionist was frowning up at him.

"Sorry, I didn't mean you. I meant--"

Kev gestured towards me. I leaned towards him.

"Psst...she can't see me."

The 'brow' furled. "Right," he muttered. He cleared his throat. "I'm here to see Nick Carter."

Once he got clearance, we rode quietly up in the elevator. I was hoping that there'd be some good news. Maybe they just needed to smack me with the paddles one more time...

"Looks like a party," Kev said as the elevator doors opened.

He wasn't kidding. My whole damn family was there. Aaron was slumped down on the floor in the hallway. Angel hovered over him uncertainly. Mom and dad were bitching at each other. BJ was wailing at the top of her lungs.

Bri was hiding behind the soda machine.

"You've got to get them out of here," I hissed. Kev swatted me like I was a gnat.

"KEV!"

"SHH!"

His loud 'shhh' caught everyone's attention.

"Kevin, it's been a long time!" mom said. She walked over and gave him a hug. I danced around them and made a face.

"I know. I'm so sorry," Kev whispered. Mom's eyes filled with tears.

"If you're only giving me seven days I am NOT wasting one dealing with my dysfunctional family," I quipped. "I know what's gonna bring me back."

Kev's head snapped up. "You do?"

"I do?" mom asked.

"Did someone say they wanted Mountain Dew?" Bri called out.

"We just need to check on me and get outta here. I have an idea," I said. During the night, I had done a lot of thinking. My mind kept coming back to my goal in life. I needed to find 'the one.' If I did that...well, then maybe I'd have a reason for living.

"How's Nick?" Kevin asked. Mom sighed.

"The doctor says the scans show no improvement."

The moment mom frowned, I sensed trouble.

"You know, I should be the one to decide on life support. I'm his mother. It's--it's my job."

"Excuse me? I think I should have a say in this."

I groaned. Dad walked up holding Kaden. Mom whirled around. In seconds, World War 18 started. I motioned to Kev. Even though he was still trying to pretend I didn't exist, he followed me. We crept towards my room.

The same busty nurse from the day before was in my room. She fluffed my pillow and checked my monitors. Kev sighed.

"Nick..."

"Don't," I pleaded. "I--"

"AJ and Howie just left," Bri said quietly. He hugged Kev. "I miss him so muchhhh!"

With that, Bri started to cry. Kev and I shared a look.

My best friend had lost it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"You're really only giving him seven days?" Brian asked, holding actual-Nick's hand. Mirage Nick sat cross-legged, hovering over the foot of the bed, staring down at himself.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up," he kept begging himself quietly.

I rubbed my palms against my knees, "Yeah," I answered, "Any longer than that and- I dunno, I wouldn't want to be forced to stay alive."

"I'm not being forced," Mirage Nick whined. "I'm asking you to keep me alive."

Brian rubbed Real Nick's hand with both of his. "Wake up, buddy."

"I'm trying to," Mirage Nick said, pouting.

I wasn't sure how much more of this I could take. I stepped up to the bed and, in a motion pretending to adjust Real Nick's blankets, I shooed Mirage Nick away. My arms just went through him, getting bone-cold sensation again. I shivered.

Brian looked at me, concerned, "You okay, Kev?"

"I'm just a little cold," I answered.

"It's hotter than hell in here," Brian answered, still concerned.

"There's a draft," I said.

Brian raised an eyebrow and looked around. "Kev, there's no draft."

Before the conversation could continue any further, though, Nick's family burst into the room. "Aw hell no," Mirage Nick groaned. "Seriously get them outta here, they aren't helping."

Jane was hysterical. She flung herself at Real Nick and wrapped her arms around him, kissing his cheeks. "Aw mom stop it! Stop it!" Mirage Nick whined. "Get 'er offa me!"

I touched Jane's shoulder and she stood upright. Her eyes focused on me, and she looked pissed. "What right do you have to make my son's life choices?" she demanded.

"Nick filled out the paperwork, ma'm, not me," I answered.

Jane scowled. "I'm his mother," she said, "And I say Nicky needs to be given all the time that he needs to wake up."

"I never in my whole life thought I'd ever, ever say this," Mirage Nick intoned, hovering over her head, "But I agree 100,000% percent with my mom!"

"Jane, Nick is brain dead," I said, "His brain is not functioning..."

"And that's different from normal because...?" Aaron joked. Angel jabbed him in the chest with her elbow so hard that I can only assume Aaron wound up with a bruise the size of the Superman logo.

"...He's probably not going to come out of this," I continued as though the twins hadn't interrupted.

"See you said probably," Jane argued. "Don't play Kevorkian, let my son live."

"It's not about living or dying," I said. I could feel my face flushing, my volume level rising. "Nick's not technically alive right now! This tube," I touched a plastic tube coming out of his mouth, "This is the only reason he's breathing right now. If this tube was taken out he'd be done."

Jane's eyes filled with tears, "You heartless bastard," she wailed and she ran from the room.

Brian was pale and wide-eyed too, leaning away from me. Aaron was holding Angel, who'd begun crying, too, and BJ was shaking in the corner. Only Robert, Nick's dad, who was still clutching Kaden, didn't look shaken by my harsh words. He looked Nick over, "I agree with you Kev," he said, "Nick should be at peace." He turned and walked out the door, carrying his son.

I looked around, Mirage Nick was no where to be seen.

Had I actually gotten rid of him?