- Text Size +

Chapter 1

I couldn’t help but be pleased with myself and feel excited for what lay ahead. I, Rowena Bloom, had just been promoted and was going to be the PA to Nick Carter, the new managing director at the company I’d been working at for the past four years. The previous MD, Kevin Richardson, had moved on to new pastures when the company had merged with another and Mr Carter had been selected as his replacement.

I’d yet to meet my new boss, but I’d done my research. From what I could tell, he was a highly driven man, very successful in his ventures, a ruthless businessman, but also professional and well liked in the industry. From the photo I’d seen in one of the various publications about him, he was also very easy on the eye!

The day finally arrived, my first day as PA. I’d gone out the week previously and bought a whole new work wardrobe, I had to look professional and knew that my existing wardrobe just wouldn‘t cut it. Wearing one of my new outfits, I carefully tied my hair into an elegant twist and secured it, checked my make-up and then left for the office. I felt so confident; I was a PA at last!

Walking into the office, my breath nearly caught in my throat, for there in front of me stood the most beautiful looking man I’d ever seen. Wearing a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to display his lightly tanned arms, a silk tie, black trousers which clung just right and a panty dropping smile, stood Nick Carter. I gulped and then took a deep breath before I showed myself up on my first day in my new job.

“Ah, Miss Bloom, at last” he said in a surprisingly stiff voice “I’m Mr Carter, your new boss, and when you’ve had chance to settle yourself at your desk, I’d like to see you in my office to go over a few things, so that we understand each other with regards to how I like things done”

And with that, he turned and was gone, striding over to his office and closing the door after him.

“What an arrogant ass” I muttered to myself.

I took off my jacket and hung it over the back of my chair and then sat down and switched on my computer, checking through a few emails before deciding it was time to go and meet my new boss properly.

I suddenly felt quite nervous. I tapped on his door and waited, after what seemed like forever, he eventually called “come in” and I turned the handle. Once again, I was struck with how gorgeous he was as he fixed his blue eyes on mine.

“Take a seat Miss Bloom” he said and gestured for me to sit down.

“Thank you” I replied “please, call me Rowena“.

“Now then, as you are no doubt already aware Miss Bloom, I like to run my business professionally. You will address me as Mr Carter at all times” he started and he carried on talking for about ten minutes, telling me exactly what he expected from me and what I could expect from him. Then he excused me and that was that, so much for a friendly induction. The man was a complete prick!

I met up with the other office girls like usual for lunch and we talked about how our days had gone so far.

“How’s it going with your new boss then Rowena?” asked Carly.

“Urgh, don’t ask!” I said

“I heard he has a bit of a reputation” she giggled.

“A bit! The man is an arrogant, stuck up…

“Drop dead gorgeous“ Ella commented.

“…prick” I said and we all started laughing.

Maybe my first day wasn’t going as planned, maybe I was just nervous and reading Nick Carter all wrong. Things could only get better, right?

~*~

The weeks passed and although I loved my new job and the challenges it brought me, I couldn’t say the same thing about my boss. He was a complete and utter bastard when he wanted to be, and seemed to take pride in making people’s lives a misery. He also seemed to be able to get any woman he wanted, a real Casanova judging by some of the office gossip. I wondered if he was as pig-headed and stuck up in the bedroom as he was in the office. Urgh, don’t even think about it Rowena.

“Miss Bloom” he barked from his office “in here now”

“Yes Mr Carter?” I said, at his door in an instant.

“Here, I want this report completed before you go this evening” he flung a file in my direction.

“But…I’ll never get this finished on time” I began.

“Well, I guess you’ll be working through your lunch break then. Now I suggest you stop complaining and get on with it, the sooner you start, the sooner you‘ll finish” he said and then turned his attention back to his screen, a signal that he was done with me.

I walked back to my desk and felt like crying. No, he is not going to get the better of me, I can do this. I straightened up and began working my way through the report.

“Rowena, are you ready to go, we’re going out for lunch today remember” said Kayla on the other end of the phone.

“I’m sorry Kay, but I’ve just got too much to do, I’m going to have to work through lunch today” I said

“The boss from hell giving you a hard time again eh?” she asked

“You got that right” I replied. It was well known by now that Nick Carter was not to be argued with, you did it his way or you were out the door. He’d already scared off a number of office girls, he was not going to get the better of me. I could handle him and he knew it.

“Maybe he’s such a dick because he’s got a small dick” Kayla laughed.

I had to laugh with her “probably”, I agreed.

We carried on laughing until I heard Nick’s door open and he came striding towards me.

“Got to go, I’ll talk to you later” I said and quickly hung up.

“Miss Bloom, do I have to remind you that I pay you to work and not sit here gossiping all day with friends?” he almost growled at me.

“I was just cancelling my lunch plans, seeing as I’m going to be here working on this report instead” I replied, not letting him get to me.

“Don’t let me catch you making personal calls on my time again” he said and turned and walked back into his office, slamming the door behind him.

I carried on working like crazy for the rest of the day; luckily I had some goodies in the drawer of my desk, so made do with that for lunch. By 6.30, I’d finally finished the report, printed it out and handed it to him, as well as emailing him a copy of it too.

“If there is nothing else, I’ll be off now” I said to him and turned and walked out of his office before he had chance to say a word.

I switched off my computer, tidied my desk and gathered my bag and jacket. It was 6.45 and I was starving, I’d only had chocolate to eat all day and was in need of a decent meal and a few drinks.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoy, please let me know!