- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's some more, I was on a roll so the chapter is a little longer.

Chapter 17

As soon as I was well clear of the building, the tears began to fall. I couldn’t control them, no matter how hard I tried. I felt used and abused. My trust in men, or should I say one man in particular, in complete tatters. I should’ve known from the start that he was only in it for the sex. I’d given it up so easily, it was shameful really, I may as well have just gone into work that first time with a badge saying “whore”. And now he’d made it clear that he didn’t want anyone else knowing, that this ‘thing’ between us should be kept secret. Well fuck him!

I wasn’t looking where I was going as I wandered aimlessly down the street, no destination in mind, just seeing where my feet took me, when I walked smack into someone “sorry” I muttered without even looking up.

“Rowena?” asked a familiar voice “what’s wrong?”

I looked up and found myself face to face with Jason from accounts “Oh hi Jason, I’m sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going” I mumbled, looking back down to hide my teary eyes.

“What’s happened, are you OK?” he asked again, his voice soft and sounding like he genuinely cared.

“It’s nothing, honestly” I said. I could hardly tell him I’d been shagging the boss, thought we had something special, only to find out he really did just want me for sex, could I? No.

“It doesn’t look like nothing” he said “you don’t have to tell me, I know it’s not my business, but can I at least buy you a coffee or something? You look like you could do with it”

“Erm…OK then” I replied. I really could do with a nice cup of coffee and a chat, it wouldn’t make the pain go away, but it would take my mind off Nick for a little while.

“Come on” he said and guided me towards a little café with small round tables and chairs outside and cute checked table clothed tables inside. We decided to sit inside. Jason went to order the drinks and I sat down at a table away from the front of the café and waited for him. I heard my phone go off and reached into my bag, it was him. I quickly pressed reject and tossed the phone back into my bag. Then it beeped, I pulled the phone out again and sighed as I saw he’d sent me a text.

Row, please, come back, let’s be reasonable about this and talk – Nick

If he thought I was just going to go running back, he was sadly mistaken. I quickly tapped in a reply and hit send.

Thought you didn’t mix business with pleasure? And no, I’m taking the rest of the day off - Rowena

I switched the phone off and shoved it back in my bag as Jason got to the table and sat down.

“There you go” he said “a cup of coffee is the answer to everything”

“If only!” I smiled “thanks Jason”

We talked about trivial things whilst we sipped our drinks, and he really did take my mind off Nick for a little while, which was exactly what I needed.

“Rowena, about the other night, at the ball” he began and I felt the heat rise in my face. Surely he wasn’t going to bring up Nick here?

“Yeah?” I asked cautiously

“It’s just that it’s a shame we never got to finish that dance. I was wondering if one evening you’d like to go out?” he asked shyly.

“Oh Jason, I’m sorry but that wouldn’t really be a good idea right now, things are complicated at the moment, and I don’t want to complicate things further. But thanks for asking anyway” I said.

“It’s OK, I understand. Can’t expect a gorgeous woman like yourself to be single!” he said and smiled at me whilst I blushed “but the offer is there if you change your mind”

“Thanks Jason” I said and fumbled with my paper napkin. I wasn’t used to such compliments, especially from men who hadn’t had a few drinks first!

We left the café a while later and I thanked him again and we said goodbye. He walked his way and I went mine. Even though I knew that I harboured no romantic feelings towards Jason, I’d enjoyed our little chat and liked his company. He made me realise that perhaps I might’ve over-reacted over what Nick had said. Maybe it was a man thing. Maybe they were better at separating their personal lives from their professional lives. Maybe I should’ve talked to him instead of switching off my phone.

I decided I’d call him later, after a nice lazy afternoon at home. My anger towards Nick had virtually gone by the time I got home and pulled in to my parking space. But as I climbed out of my car, I noticed his car, it was a bit hard to miss really, you didn’t see many cars like that on the road. Wonder why he‘s here at this time, he should be in the office at that meeting. Should I speak first or wait for him to make the first move? Argh, I’m no good at this!

I tried to pretend I hadn’t seen him sitting there in his car; I looked straight ahead and carried on walking. I felt my traitorous body dying to give me away by looking at him, but I forced myself to remain unaffected by his presence.

“Rowena…wait” he called out and I heard a car door close and lock.

“Nick? What a surprise! What are you doing here?” I turned and looked at him, with his tie loosened and his slightly dishevelled hair.

“Row, I want you” he said with so much emotion. But then I thought of the way he’d spoken to me earlier and I wasn’t sure what to think anymore.

“No you don’t” I retorted “you just want someone to be there when you fancy sex, and I was stupid enough to be that person”

“Rowena, please…you know that’s not true!” he said “I told you at the ball how I felt, and I meant it”

“Then why the cold treatment today? Why?” I asked.

“Can we go inside and talk about this like adults? I don’t really want an audience” he asked

“I suppose so” I agreed. I also didn’t relish the idea of everyone hearing us talking.

I opened the door and allowed him inside.

“Rowena…” he started and reached out towards me, his best panty dropping smile on his face.

“No Nick, I’ve allowed you in to talk, and talk is what we’re going to do. I’m no pushover!” I said and crossed my arms across my chest. He was looking incredibly sexy though. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up to his elbows and his tie was loosened. I could just push him up against the wall and… No Rowena, concentrate!

“I know you aren’t, in fact that’s one of the many reasons why I love you. You give as good as you get and don’t stand for my shit. But that’s not why we’re here…is it?” he said.

“No, it’s not” I replied, still not wavering in the slightest, but I did offer him a cup of tea or coffee and asked if he wanted to go into the living room and sit down instead of standing in the doorway.

He stood in the kitchen with me whilst I made our drinks and then followed me into the living room. I sat down first and he sat next to me, turning his body towards mine so that we could look at each other whilst we spoke. He didn’t sit too close though, there was a bit of a gap between us, I was glad of that.

“Rowena, earlier today, it was a complete misunderstanding. You have to believe me. That’s not what I meant at all. I was just trying to protect you from office gossip, that’s all” he began.

“I’m sure I can handle myself Nick” I snorted “but can you handle it? I think it’s yourself you’re more concerned about here, your precious image”.

“OK, that’s a fair comment; I am concerned for myself too. But you have to understand that I’m not used to this, I don’t do this…dating thing…it’s all new to me” he said “I suppose I’m just being cautious. You have to understand me Row; I don’t mean to be a prick…”

“You just can’t seem to help it” I snorted again, interrupting him.

He looked at me.

“You made me feel cheap and unwanted” I said.

“And for that I can’t apologise enough. Rowena, I mean what I say, but I just wanted us to get to know each other better and be a couple for a bit longer before we let the whole world in on it. Plus, I’m your boss, how do you think it would look if we were all over each other in view of the office? It wouldn’t look very professional would it? All I’m saying is we carry on as normal in the office. Is that so much to ask?” he said, lowering his head down to his hands.

“I want us to get to know each other better too” I said smiling. I didn’t particularly want to broadcast to everyone that we were together; I knew it was all still too new, I just wanted him to treat me with some respect, no matter where we were. I’d hated feeling so insignificant to him when we were in the office, but I had to agree that we had to keep up the professional image of the company too.

“Good” he said and took my hand in his “we could start by going out for dinner, if you’d like to of course”

“I’d love to” I replied “just let me get changed first”

“You look perfect as you are y’know” he said and winked

I rolled my eyes at him and told him to wait there whilst I made myself look more presentable. Once I was in my bedroom, I looked at myself in the mirror. My make-up was non-existent and my hair needed a brush. I quickly made myself look decent and returned to the living room where Nick was sat with his arms behind his head. As soon as he saw me he stood up and smiled.

“Ready to go?” he asked

“Yeah” I said

“What do you fancy to eat?” he asked

You! I smiled and then told him I didn’t mind. He took my hand in his and led me to his car.

“How about Italian?” he asked

“Perfect” I replied.

We drove to a little Italian restaurant on the outskirts of town, the food was supposed to be great there, although I’d never been, just heard from friends.

“Table for two please” Nick requested and we waited to be seated, it was lucky that they actually had room for us without booking first.

After looking at the menu for a few minutes, I decided on the lasagne whilst Nick chose steak. We ordered drinks and for a moment just sat there looking at each other. Then the conversation began to flow and before long, all was forgiven. When I listened to Nick’s point of view, I realised that I’d misunderstood him. I couldn’t expect him to be all smiles and kisses every minute of the day. It just wasn’t possible. He was often under a lot of pressure in work and we really did have to separate our personal lives from our business ones, to a certain extent anyway!

We ate our food and then Nick insisted once again on paying the bill, I offered him my share, but he wouldn’t hear of it. I made a promise to myself that I’d treat him next time and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

We drove back towards my place and I felt as if we’d got a lot resolved tonight and also got to know each other some more.

“Do you want to come in?” I asked as we pulled up outside.

“As much as I’d love to, I’d better go home” he said “I don’t want you to think I expect anything from you”

We both knew he was referring to the ‘only want you for sex’ comment I’d made earlier. Part of me felt gutted for his gentlemanly behaviour. I wanted nothing more than to rip his clothes off.

“I know you don’t Nick” I said and he leaned over and kissed me gently on the lips, building up into a more passionate kiss.

“My god Row, I’m trying to be this perfect gentleman, but all I want to do is carry you up to your bedroom and make love to you” he said huskily after breaking free from our kiss.

“What are we waiting for then?” I teased. He didn’t need any further prompt and we quickly exited the car and made our way up to my apartment.

Chapter End Notes:
She just can't resist the Carter charm!