- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next bit

Chapter 19

I awoke in the morning to an empty bed, but instead of being mad and feeling unwanted like I usually would‘ve, I smiled when I noticed the folded note on the pillow where he‘d been. He does love me!

After reading his note, I quickly looked at the bedside clock and then threw back the covers and leapt out of bed, I was going to be so late for work this morning if I didn’t get a move on.

I had the fastest shower ever, dressed quickly, not even bothering to style my hair as usual, but instead just tying it back simply. A little bit of make-up and my shoes on, and I was good to go. I might just make it in time, although I’m sure the boss won’t mind! Just thinking about my sexy boss made me smile, hmm, last night had been incredible, more than incredible…awesome, mind blowing, fan-fucking-tastic more like it.

“Rowena…hold that elevator” I heard Nick call as the elevator doors were closing. I reached out and pressed the button to stop the doors from closing and in walked Adonis himself, two cups of coffee and a McDonald’s paper bag in his hands.

“Thought you might need this” he said handing one of the cups to me. He was right, I did need it. I’d not had time for any breakfast this morning.

“Mmm, thanks Nick” I said as I took the cup from his hand, our fingers grazing against each others. God, even after hardly any sleep, he still looked gorgeous, with his unshaven face and that freshly showered smell about him. I had to remind myself that we were not alone in the elevator, and so stopped gazing at him.

“There’s also this” he said, handing me a wrapper out of the McDonalds bag “I didn’t know what you’d like so I just got you a bacon and egg McMuffin, sorry it’s nothing fancy”

“Thanks” I replied once again “it’s just what I need”. A bacon and egg McMuffin would go down nicely, I was absolutely starved.

He moved closer and brought his lips to my ear and whispered “because I don’t know about you, but I’m starving after last night” and then he gently kissed behind my ear. I blushed slightly, not used to such public displays of affection from Nick, but hoping that they would carry on.

We stepped out of the elevator when the doors pings open and walked into the office together, talking the whole time and not paying attention to anyone around us.

“Well Rowena, enjoy your breakfast, I’ll see you in a little while, we’ve got a busy day ahead and I’ll be in and out of the office for most of it” he said.

“I’ll be in with your mail shortly” I told him and sat down at my desk. He gave me one last look and then walked into his office, leaving the door open for a change.

I switched on my computer whilst hungrily eating my McDonalds and sipping my coffee, god it tasted so good, I didn’t usually eat stuff like this.

“Someone’s in a good mood today” said Kayla stopping by my desk and looking over towards Nick’s office, a smirk on her face.

“Yeah” I replied and smiled at my friend.

“So everything OK?” she asked “because yesterday I heard you left early”

“Everything is perfect Kay…yesterday was a…misunderstanding” I told her all about it, leaving out the ice cream sundae part obviously!

“Well, I suppose I better get on with some work” she said eventually, and moved off of my desk “I’ll see you later, maybe lunch time, if you aren’t too busy with lover boy in there” she looked over towards Nick’s office.

“Yeah Kay, I’ll see you later…maybe” I grinned and she walked away.

I had a lot to go through this morning, partly due to the fact that I’d walked out yesterday afternoon and just left everything undone. I made quick work of the mail and the various emails, checked Nick’s schedule for the day to make sure he was aware of everything, and then headed over to his office.

“Here you go” I said placing the papers down on his desk “don’t forget, your 11 o’clock meeting is now rescheduled for 11.30”

“What would I do without you Row?” he said and got up from his leather chair, moved over to the door and closed it. “Now, I seem to remember that I left without giving you a kiss this morning” he murmured as he pulled me into his arms and kissed me softly.

“Nick” I protested “we’re in work remember”

“So” he said with a shrug and a crooked smile “never stopped us before did it? Remember the desk?” he raised a perfect eyebrow.

“But what about ‘mixing business with pleasure’ you said yesterday…” I asked but he interrupted.

“Fuck it” he said “I wasn’t thinking yesterday” he ran his hands down my back and rested them on my bum.

“But…” I began

“I know” he said “of course we have to be careful not to get caught and of course we have to behave professionally as much as possible…but there’s no harm in kissing my girlfriend when I’ve got chance is there?”

“Girlfriend?” I grinned.

“Well yeah” he replied “if you want to be!”

“Then there’s no harm at all” I replied and pulled him closer to me, wrapping my arms around him “now, unless you want to be late for your meeting, I suggest we carry this on later”

“OK” he said “I’ll see you later on, if you’re not doing anything tonight that is”

“Nothing at all” I replied.

~*~

Over the next few weeks, things between myself and Nick just got better and better. We saw a lot of each other, either he came to mine or I went to his place (which was just stunning), or we went out. He took me to restaurants, movies, romantic walks on the beach, we went to see one of his favourite bands in concert and I became a convert, we strolled through the park and ate ice cream, and just all those things you want to do with the person you love.

The work environment was also a lot more comfortable and everyone noticed the change in Nick. No longer was he the bastard boss from hell, but actually an approachable kind of man now. Of course, he still had his moments when things didn’t go his way, but he wasn’t as bad tempered as he used to be, and he credited me with that. I learnt that a lot of his temper had been due to frustration and from not wanting to feel the way he did about me, he thought that giving in to the way he felt was a sign of weakness. As soon as he’d given in to his feelings, everything fell into place.

Then one day, I walked into the office and saw his door closed and heard raised voices coming from his office.

“What’s going on in there?” I asked Carly, who happened to be in the room.

“I’m not sure. Some blonde woman went marching in there about twenty minutes ago and then all hell broke loose, they’ve been shouting non-stop” Carly replied.

“Who is she? Is she a client?” I asked, although I doubted Nick would be yelling at a client like that, despite the fact he’d only had four hours sleep due to a rather late night spent making love in my bed.

“I don’t know who she is, never seen her before” Carly replied.

I didn’t know whether to interrupt or leave them to it, but then all went quiet. Stuff it, I’m going in.

I knocked on the door and then pushed it open to find some beautiful blonde woman draped over my boyfriend. I froze on the spot, completely shocked and unable to move.

“Rowena…it’s not what you think…I can explain” he began and still I just stood there.

“Nick? Who the hell is this person and what’s she doing just walking in to your office?” asked the blonde woman with a smug smile on her face.

“I’m…I’m…oh forget it. You fucking bastard” I said and turned to run before the pair of them saw the tears begin to spill from my eyes.

How could he? I thought he loved me. I thought we had a good thing together, or was I mistaken? I was stupid, I’d been kidding myself these past few months.

“Rowena…please come back” he called but I didn’t turn back. I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry again.

With every ounce of control that I had, I walked out of the office and jabbed at the button to call the elevator “come on” I muttered when the elevator wasn’t arriving quickly enough. Then I decided the stairs would be a better option, I just needed to get out of here. Running to the door to the stairs, I pushed it open and began my descent, as fast as I possibly could without tripping over in these stupid heels. I heard a door open and close and then footsteps; I began to take the stairs two at a time.

“Rowena…wait…please” he called out.

Hearing his voice startled me and I somehow lost my footing, I reached for the rail but my hands slipped and I fell down the last few steps, landing in a heap at the bottom. I groaned in pain as I tried to stretch my legs out from under me, sure that I must’ve broken something.

“Oh my god, Row” he exclaimed as he reached me and knelt down beside me, pulling me into his arms.

“Let go of me you asshole” I cried.

“Let me explain, it’s not at all how it looked. That was Gabby, my ex-wife…” he started but I cut him off.

“Look Nick, who you fuck is no longer my concern, now get your hands off me” I winced in pain, and it wasn’t just the pain of my leg.

“Row, I am not fucking my ex-wife” he sounded so hurt that I’d even assumed that, but at that moment in time, I didn’t care.

“Whatever” I said.

“Look, I’m taking you to the hospital to get that leg looked at” he said, gently helping me up and supporting me “we can talk about this when you’re calmer”

We didn’t say another word on the way there; I closed my eyes and tried to pretend he wasn’t there, that he didn’t exist. Once we arrived, I was taken to A & E where my leg was examined and x-rayed.

“Well Miss Bloom, lucky for you it’s just a sprain, a few days rest and you‘ll be as good as new” said the rather gorgeous young doctor by the name of Dr Cullen as he stood looking at the x-rays.

“Thanks” I smiled as he handed me a prescription for some pain killers.

I hobbled out of the emergency room to find Nick still there, sitting with his head in his hands, looking so defeated and helpless, it made my heart ache.

“Nick? Why are you still here?” I asked quietly.

“Oh Row, thank god! I’ve been so worried sitting here, not knowing how bad your leg was…” he rambled.

“I’m OK” I replied “it’s just a sprain”

“I’m sorry” he said and looked at me through the most sincere eyes I’d ever seen, and I knew that I’d give him a chance to explain.

“Come on then, you can take me home and tell me all about it” I said. I didn’t know exactly what he was going to tell me, but I owed it to him to listen.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the wait, hope this chapter was OK!