- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is in Nick's POV.

Chapter 2

Nick’s POV

This merger of the two companies was more than just good for business; it was going to be good for me. I needed this new beginning more than anything. It was going to be a chance to put the past behind me and start afresh, be a stronger person and not let anything drag me down.

About eighteen months before this merger, I thought I had everything a man could ever want. I was a partner in a highly successful company, had a beautiful wife, a lovely home and an expensive sports car. But that all changed. I know I tend to be a bit of a workaholic, but only because I want to be the best at what I do, to create something to be proud of, damn it, why couldn’t she have seen that? She knew what I was like before she even got involved with me, so why would she expect me to change? Of course, she was the perfect girlfriend and wife in the beginning, very understanding and fun to be around. But that all changed a year into the marriage. It was almost as if she changed into a different person. She became a nagging wife, always onto me about the hours I put in and not taking her out enough. But I couldn’t give her what she wanted, it just wasn’t possible. I couldn’t just drop my business obligations to take her away at the drop of a hat, it didn’t work like that. I tried to make it up to her by buying her things, presuming that all women liked that kind of thing. It only seemed to make things worse, and we had some explosive arguments.

Then one day, I decided to be spontaneous. I cancelled all of my meetings for the afternoon and drove home, thinking we could do something together as I knew she had already finished work for the day. Since getting married she’d gone part time in work.

As I pulled into our driveway, there was an unfamiliar car parked up, but I thought nothing of it as she often had friends over whilst I was in work.

I walked into the house and headed into the kitchen first, as they were usually sat in there chatting. No sign of them. I looked in the conservatory, then the living room, but still no sign of anyone.

“Gabby? You in?” I called out and got no answer, but heard banging from upstairs, like something heavy had fallen on the floor.

I took the stairs two at a time, thinking something must’ve happened “Gabby, you OK?”

Oh yes, something had happened. I walked in the direction of the hurried voices coming from our bedroom, and pushed the door open. I gasped in complete and utter shock, for there, in the middle of the room was my wife, hurriedly trying to get dressed, her face red from obvious physical exertion. Across the other side of the room, gathering up his clothes, was none other than my friend and work colleague, Joey McIntyre.

“You fucking bastard” I said, flying at him, ready to rip his head off. How could he do this to me? How could she do this to me?

“Nick…please…calm down. I’m sorry OK” he pleaded as I drew my fist back ready to punch him.

“You want me to calm down?” I sneered “how the fuck am I going to do that Joey? I’ve just caught you and my wife, and you expect me to be calm?”

“Nick” Gabby pleaded “please, let’s just talk about this”

“Fuck you Gabby. Fuck the pair of you. I’m going out and when I get back, I expect you to be gone. I don’t give a fuck where you go or what you do, that is no longer my concern. Just get the fuck out of my life” I seethed. I was so angry, devastated and confused; I knew that if I said or did anything else, I would instantly regret it.

“Nick…” she started, but I just walked away, slamming the door behind me on my way out.

I got in my car and just drove for miles before pulling off into a quiet road, bringing the car to a stop and then just crying my eyes out. Not normally the kind of person to cry and show my emotions, it felt cathartic to let it all out. I vowed to myself to never let a woman get to me like that again.

After that day, I decided to be a different man. I wasn’t taking any shit from anyone anymore. Who needed love and marriage? Who needed to be nice to get anywhere in life? Not me! I could still do my job in a professional manner without all the Mr Nice Guy bullshit, so that’s what I did. I divorced Gabby, letting her keep the house because I couldn’t bear to go back there, despite telling her to get the fuck out on that fateful day. I bought myself a luxury apartment with a fantastic view, and I made the most of being single.

Everything was completely under my control, and I liked it that way. I didn’t care if I was perceived as an arrogant bastard; I got what I wanted, when I wanted it. That was until Rowena Bloom walked into my office. From the moment I set eyes on her, I knew I was fucked.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked! Sorry that was such a short chapter.