- Text Size +

Chapter 4

As I made my way home, I could hardly believe what had just occurred between myself and Nick. How could I have let it happen? Why did I respond with as much enthusiasm as I did? And how was I going to face him on Monday? I’ll pretend it never happened!

That evening, after a long hot shower, I put my favourite comfy joggers on and settled down in front of the TV with a bottle of wine and a chick flick, Bridget Jones‘s Diary. It didn’t escape my notice that Nick Carter was kind of a cross between Colin Firth and Hugh Grant’s characters in the film I was watching. Stuck up, arrogant and set in his ways like Mark Darcy and a womanizing, confident, sexy beast like Daniel Cleaver. Only Nick was better looking and more of an asshole than the two of them put together.

That night I dreamt of him. It was the most vividly real dream I’d ever had. He was dirty talking in my ear whilst fucking me hard over his desk, his fingers knotted in my hair, pulling it roughly, whilst his other hand was holding my hip. Over and over he kept saying “you like that don’t you” and all I could do was beg him for more. I woke up tangled in my bedding and sweating.

“Fuck” I muttered as I pulled the covers back and stumbled over to the bathroom. I needed a cool shower, maybe that would take my mind off him. It was only 5am but I knew I’d never be able to get back to sleep after that dream. Typical when it was the weekend and I could’ve done with a lie in!

After my nice long shower, I decided to tidy up the place; it was a bit of a pig-sty as I’d hardly had chance for housework during the week. It was surprising how long it took, but I was grateful for the distraction, it took my mind off work and more importantly, Nick Carter.

Just as I was putting another load of washing in the washing machine, my phone began to ring, looking at the screen, I saw that it was Kayla and groaned. I’d completely forgot that we were going out that night with all the girls. But maybe it was just what I needed.

“What’re you wearing tonight? I‘m wearing that red dress…you know the one I showed you the other day” Kayla enthused “remember, we’re going to that new club in town”

“Oh yeah. I’m not sure what I’ll wear yet Kay, I’ll have to go through my wardrobe” I said. I had a huge wardrobe with tons of clothes. That was one of the perks of working in the job I was in, it paid very well and we also got good discounts at many high street stores and also some designer labels.

“You still coming over here for a few drinks first?” she asked “everyone will be here about eight”

“Yeah, I’ll be over then” I replied and we hung up a few minutes later.

For a moment I wondered whether I should tell them what had happened, but then I decided against it, they’d think I was off my rocker, they all knew how much I hated the boss. No, I was keeping this all to myself; it was my dirty little secret.

A hot shower, a new outfit fit for partying and a few drinks later and I’d almost forgotten about Nick Carter. We were all in Kayla’s apartment which was conveniently located in the city centre.

“Wow Kay, this place is looking fantastic” Carly said, casting her eyes around the place.

“Thanks” Kayla replied “I think Richard and I have finally got it how we want it”. Kayla’s fiancé, Richard Armitage, was an architect and so had designed the place himself. Kayla had added her flare for interior design in the décor of the place. You could see the strong, bold design which was so obviously Richard mixed with the soft feminine touches which were so Kayla.

“So Rowena, how’s that gorgeous asshole of a boss treating you these days?” asked Louise. Even though she didn’t work with us, she knew all about the boss from hell, he was usually a major talking point.

“Still an asshole” I laughed “and still gorgeous”.

“Tell her what he did the other day Row” Kayla said and turned to me.

I felt my face flush slightly as I remembered exactly what he’d done to me. But then I put that thought to one side and began telling one of the many stories of his appalling behaviour.

“You mean he actually made you change the document because he wanted to use a different word? Just one word? He made you late for your date for that? What a bastard!” she said.

“I know” I replied “but at least my date waited for me, even though it was a complete disaster”

“Oh yeah, wasn’t he the one who kept getting calls from his Mom all evening?” laughed Carly.

“Yeah” I laughed along with her.

We left Kayla’s apartment a couple of hours later, feeling a little merry after the drinks, and headed for the new club which had just opened in town. There was a bit of a queue to get in, but Carly knew one of the doormen so we were let straight in. It was jam packed and the music was fantastic, the place was really something special inside.

“Shots?” asked Kayla as we stood at the bar.

I couldn’t resist. It was like a tradition, we always had a couple of shots when we went out. I knocked back the sambuca in one go and tried not to make a face, I failed miserably!

“Oh my fucking god, look who’s over there” said Amy, one of the other girls we worked with.

I turned my attention to where her eyes were looking and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I opened and closed my mouth, unable to say anything.

“Well, well, well…it’s the gorgeous asshole himself” said Kayla “that man is such a whore”

He was leaning against the bar with a bottle of Bud in his hand, looking sexy as hell. He was wearing dark jeans and a dark shirt, it could’ve been black but it was hard to tell. He had just the right amount of stubble on his jaw and his hair was begging to have fingers run through it. Then I noticed the skanky looking girl who was stood with him. Huge fake boobs, bleached blonde hair, a fake tan (making her look like an umpa lumpa from Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory) and barely wearing any clothes, I figured that would be his type, the prick! But evidently, she wasn’t what he was after at all. After chatting to her for a few minutes, she walked away looking a little gutted. I smiled to myself, but couldn’t for the life of me think why. It’s not like I wanted him.

He saw me at that moment and shot me a cold glance, before turning and walking away, not even having the decency to even acknowledge that he knew me. Asshole!

“I see he’s his usual charming self then” Kayla laughed.

“Arrogant tosser” I said.

I knew then that work on Monday was going to be OK; I’d make sure of it. There was no way that man was going to get the better of me. I’d just go in there with my head held high and pretend it never happened. I could be a bitch to match his bastardly ways. I even looked forward to it.

Chapter End Notes:
Nick's POV coming next.