- Text Size +
"You have to do stuff that average people don't understand
because those are the only good things.
- Andy Warhol

Chapter 13
Sam's Family


Mimi's office window overlooked the front yard. She was sitting behind the desk with the paperwork and sitting next to her was the gentleman from the state. Straight across was the woman, Mrs. West, and Mr. West was standing at the window, staring out at the grass illuminated by the sun's light.

The stateworker was reading over the paperwork. Within minutes he would sign it, Mimi would sign it, the Wests would sign it, and then Sam would have a new family.

Mimi always felt nervous and excited at the same time during these days, getting ready to sign paperwork to change her childrens' lives. Sam was excited, he was upstairs, packing his things into a trunk, happy that he was going to go home with the Wests, whose company he'd enjoyed each time they'd come to visit him. Mimi would miss Sam.

Sam had come to the home as a baby, and she'd raised him, and here he was, eight years old, and finally a nice couple wanted him. He would be moving to a suburb, where he would attend a private school and, hopefully, one day go to college.

Mr. West turned to look at Mimi, "That boy's a little old to be here, isn't he?" he asked, gesturing to the front lawn.

Mimi turned and saw Nick laying spread-eagle on the grass, calling Max (it was obvious this was what he was doing, though Mimi could not hear him, judging by the way his head was moving and his mouth was stretched wide in the 'ahh' of Max). She smiled. "Nick doesn't live here anymore," she answered, "Though it will always be his home, should he need it."

"What on earth is he doing?" Mr. West asked.

Nick looked like he was making snow angels on the bare ground.

Mimi shrugged, "Who knows. Nick's always had an active imagination."

"So a grown man comes to your lawn and tumbles about on the grass... and you've no qualms about it?" Mr. West inquired.

The stateworker and Mrs. West looked up.

Mimi laughed, "Do you see that cardboard box?" she asked. Mr. West nodded. "Inside that box is a little boy named Max, who has been through the worst times a child can see." She smiled sadly, "Nick is studying to be a child psychologist. He's nearly done with the first part of his degree."

"I see." Mr. West seemed less put out by Nick's actions, though he continued to watch with raised eyebrows.

The stateworker lowered the paperwork to the desk and pulled out his pen, clicking the top. "Well," he said, "Who is ready to give Sam a home?"

Mr. West quickly turned away from the window and joined his wife at the desk.



"Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaax!" Nick wailed. He wobbled his arms and legs about. "Please can we have an adventure today, Max? Please?" The sun was peeking through the clouds, making everything in the yard glow green as light filtered through the leaves of the trees. Nick was determined to make Max leave the box today. "I have the perfect idea for an adventure today, Max," he pleaded.

Max was sitting in the corner of the box, hugging his knees to his chest. Sam had told him all about the Wests and how he would be leaving with the family that night. Sam and Max weren't really friends, but Max didn't want Sam to go away. Sam had been at the home way longer than Max had. Max kind of felt like if Mimi would get rid of Sam, then Mimi would certainly get rid of Max, too.

"I have a present for you and everything, Max," Nick said. "It's going to be a great adventure, if you'll just come out and put on your explorer hat."

Max hugged his knees.

Deciding this tactic of laying and begging and whining wasn't working, Nick rolled on to his stomach and crawled across the lawn to Max's box. He peeked in through the flap. "Max," he whispered. "Can I come in?"

Max shook his head.

"Why not?" Nick asked.

Max didn't respond.

Nick sighed and dropped to his stomach in the grass, his legs spread behind him. He stared at Max's red Converse sneakers. The toe was starting to split away from the sole. He sighed. "I guess I'll have to give your present to some other kid," he said lazily. "Though I really, really, really wanted you to have it."

Max stared at Nick.

"Do you at least want to know what it was?" Nick asked.

Max nodded.

Nick shook his head, "I can't tell you unless you ask what it was."

Max tucked his knees under his chin and picked at the lift on his shoe. He pursed his lips and stared down.

The front door banged open and excited foot fall tread across the grass to the box. Nick rolled over and sat up and found Sam standing beside him at the door to the box. The Wests were standing on the sidewalk, grinning after him, and Mimi looked bleary eyed at the door stoop. The social worker was carrying his briefcase to the sleek Lexus that he'd parked at the end of the driveway.

Sam ducked around Nick and peered into the crack of the box. "Seeya, Max," he said. Sam looked at Nick, but since he didn't really know him, he found he didn't really have anything to say, so he trotted back to the Wests.

Mr. West was eyeing Nick with a hint of disapproval. Nick glanced down and realized his t-shirt had a rather unsightly grass stain on it, as did the toes of his sneakers and the knees of his jeans. He smiled up at the Wests, but Mr. West didn't smile back and Mrs. West was already fussing over Sam, who had collided with her hip upon his return to the walkway.

"Bye-bye Sam," called Mimi, waving. She raised a Kleenex to her face and dabbled her eyes carefully, suckering in a large, shaking breath as Sam waved and followed Mr. and Mrs. West to the car. Jake suddenly came around the door frame, carrying Sam's trunk, and followed them, also, to the car, where he helped Mr. West put the trunk into the back of the truck.

Once the Wests had driven away, Jake and Mimi returned into the house, and left Nick and Max alone on the lawn once more. Nick turned back to the box and peered inside. "They're gone now, Max," he said quietly.

Max looked up from staring at his sneakers, and Nick saw that there were thick, huge tears in Max's eyes. Max sniffled and his face broke into a long, frown as the tears began to fall. Nick pulled open the box flaps and crawled inside. He scooped Max into his lap and held him tight against his chest, tucking Max's head under his chin protectively. Max's tears felt hot against Nick's chest, and Nick ran his hand in smooth, gentle circles across Max's back.

After a long moment, Max croaked, "What was the present?"

Nick smiled.