- Text Size +
"Getting over a painful experience is much
like crossing monkey bars.
You have to let go at some point
in order to move forward.”
- Unknown

Chapter 8
Important Lessons


The monkeys chased them for four whole blocks, until Nick thought his lungs were going to explode from the air drawing in and out of them. He looked down at Max, whose cheeks were pink from running, and he quickly caught Max up in his arms, hugged him to his chest, and dove for the soft grass of a random yard, being careful to cradle Max safely in the cage of his arms as they rolled to a stop, and gasped loudly into the atmosphere.

"Oh man that was close," Nick wheezed, rolling so he and Max were laying side by side in the grass. Max panted, too, in response. "Those monkeys," Nick gaspd, "They almost got us."

"Yeah, that was close," Max agreed.

They laid there like that, staring up at the sky, catching their breath. Two boys on the dusty ground. Nick swiveled his head as best he could and studied the side of Max's face. A short scar he hadn't noticed before fled from Max's hairline across his jaw to his chin on the right side. Nick frowned.

"What happened to your cheek, Max?" Nick asked, reaching out and carefully running a finger along the light pink flesh.

Max's hand rushed to the side of his face and covered it. He shook his head, his eyes wide.

Nick sat up. He hesitated, then he glanced down the street both ways and reached for the hem of his shirt. He lifted it up and turned, so Max could see his back. Raw lines cut across the skin there. Nick glanced over his shoulder as Max got onto his knees, too, and inched closer to see Nick's scars. His fingers touched them and Nick's back quivered from the touch.

"Do they hurt?" Max asked.

"Only on the inside," Nick answered, "In my heart."

"Yeah, mine, too," Max replied.

Nick sat down and dropped his shirt. "Mimi says we're a lot alike, you and me," Nick said.

Max nodded.

"I used to think my dad hurt me because I deserved it," Nick said quietly. He hugged his knees to his chest and tucked his chin over them and stared down at his red Converse sneakers. "Do you ever think that Max?"

Max nodded.

Nick sighed, "It's hard, huh?" he asked.

Max's eyes were wet. He didn't dare to move. His neck felt really scratchy. He rubbed it, wishing it would stop burning like it was.

"You didn't deserve it, Max," Nick whispered. "Nobody does. You're a great kid."

Max stared at his feet, too, like Nick was.

Nick glanced at him. "I love you, Max."

Max looked back up at Nick, their eyes met, and Max hesitated. He looked away.

Nick took a deep breath, "He can't hurt you anymore, Max," he said after a long pause.

Max crawled across the grass and sat down closer to Nick, forcing himself under Nick's arm and pressing his cheek against Nick's chest. Nick smiled down at the crop of reddish hair and wrapped his arm around the little boy, and tugged him back down into the grass.



The two boys had laid in the grass quite awhile, Nick pointing out pictures in the clouds while Max just stayed quiet and listened. When they'd rested a long while, their explorer hat brims blocking the sun, Nick finally pulled Max to his feet and said, "We better go finish exploring for that hot fudge sundae, huh, or we'll never find it before dinner time." Nick smiled and reached for Max's jacket zipper.

Max and Nick took their time walking this time, since they were no longer being chased by monkeys. Nick clutched Max's hand tight in his own and they crossed wild rivers (streets) and trekked over mountain ranges (hills) until they reached a small village - downtown. Nick smiled, "Ah we're almost there," he murmured, and he led Max along through the streets, past rumbling stampeding elephants (traffic) until they'd reached a small cafe.

The door jingled when Nick pushed the door opened, and the whole room inside smelled like warm waffles and melted chocolate. Max took a deep breath and was almost positive that one of the wild animals must've eaten them whole because this place smelled so good it had to be heaven.

"What kind of ice cream do you like Max?" Nick asked, crouching down to be on eye level with the little boy.

Max shrugged.

Nick stood up and looked into a large glass case that had all the different flavors in huge vats so you could see them. He smiled, "C'mere, lil guy," he said, and he scooped Max up off the floor and hoisted him onto his hip. "Look in there," Nick said, pointing, "Which one looks good?"

Max stared down into the cooler and gnawed on his lips. Nick stared up at his face as his eyes travelled over each flavor, carefully analyzing it. Finally, Max pointed at a creamy colored one labeled caramel bananas foster. "Mmm," Nick mumbled, nodding, "Yeah that sounds delicious." He carried Max to the counter, where a high school aged girl stood, wearing a Red Sox baseball cap and her hair in little pig tails.

"We'll have a small hot fudge sundae with the caramel banana foster," Nick said, "And rainbow sprinkles on top! And two cherries and two spoons." He winked.

The girl rang up the order and set to work constructing the sundae.

When the sundae was ready, Nick grabbed the sundae, the spoons and a handful of napkins and led the way to a table set in the window of the cafe. Max sat down in the chair beside Nick and Nick stuck the spoons into the sundae.

"Eat up, Explorer Max," Nick said, taking his own spoon and swooping up a big helping of ice cream, fudge, whip cream and cherry. He smiled.

Max carefully took the spoon and scooped up some, too.

"Mmmm," Nick hummed. He looked down at Max, "Wow, this is good, huh?" he asked.

Max stuck his spoonful into his mouth. The fudge seemed to melt on his tongue, and the ice cream burst with flavor and the cherry was cool and just a little crunchy, like cherries should be. He grinned and nodded up at Nick. "Mmm," he echoed.

Nick smiled, and the two boys continued working on the sundae.

All went well until they were getting closer to the end and Max accidentally knocked a huge glob of fudge and ice cream off the spoon and onto the table and his shirt.

He froze the instant the ice cream left the spoon and closed his eyes, wincing away from Nick in a motion so fast, Nick hardly comprehended it. "What - Max, what's the matter?" he looked at the little boy, whose eyes were squinted shut tight, in confusion. "What's wrong?" Nick grabbed some napkins and quickly wiped up the mess on the table.

Max peeked out of one eye. "I made a mess," he croaked.

"Yeah, so?" Nick asked.

"Aren't you mad at me?" Max asked.

Nick shrugged, "Accidents happen, buddy," he said, shrugging.

Max stared at Nick in disbelief.

"What?" Nick asked. He reached for Max's shirt with the napkins. Max pulled back. "Max, I'm just gonna wipe your shirt, bud."

Max sat stiffly and nervous as Nick's hand swiped away the ice cream that dripped down his front. When he finished, Nick's palm balled the napkin and he withdrew. Max relaxed, letting out a breath he hadn't even realize he'd held.

"Max?" Nick asked.

"Aren't I in trouble?" Max questioned, "For being messy?"

Nick paused, letting the sentence hang between them. He looked down at the table. Then, he did it. He reached out for the mostly finished cup, with some residue of mostly-melted icre cream left inside, and he upended it right on the table. The melted ice cream spattered and slunk across the table top and dripped over the edge onto the lap of Nick's jeans.

Nick stood up, "Oh my gosh," he said loudly, trying to get the girl at the counter's attention, "That was an accident!"

Max stared, wide eyed, at Nick.

The girl at the counter grabbed a sponge and came over, "It's okay," she said calmly and swiped at the table top with the sponge, while Nick used the remainder of the napkins to help and sop up his dripping lap.

Max's eyes never left Nick's face.

When the mess was cleared up, Nick looked down at Max. "Accidents happen," he said simply, "They happen everyday."