- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is a No Matter What excerpt.

Author's Chapter Notes:

This is in response to Mare's February challange. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Ellie & story idea. Brian & Kevin own themselves. Thank-you!

 

Elenore Richardson was sitting in her backyard, swinging on her swing that was attached to her swing set. Normally they’d be over at the orphanage and she’d be playing with Dakota, but her Daddy had insisted they stay home today, since it was Valentine’s Day.

 

Apparently, he’d wanted to spend some of it with her, so they had, had a special breakfast and given Valentine’s to one another. They’d even sat and watched a Disney movie, while munching on Valentine’s candy and chocolates.

 

“Wonder what Daddy’s got planned for this afternoon,” she wondered aloud, as she pumped her feet in the air. “He said there was a special surprise. I like surprises!”

 

Just then she heard the back door open, and she glanced over to see just who had come out to get her. Her eyes went wide and she squealed excitedly when she saw just whom had walked on out back.

 

“Brian!” She exclaimed, jumping off her swing when it was ion mid-air. She landed safely, and went running for her most favourite cousin. “What’re you doing here?”

 

Brian smiled as he scooped the excited five-year-old up into his awaiting arms. “I’ve come to steal my favourite cousin for the afternoon. Do you think she’d like that?”

 

“I think she’d like that very much!” Elenore enthused, kissing his cheek affectionately. “Are you my special surprise?”

 

“Why, yes I am,” Brian replied, as he carried her back inside and towards the front door, after having had let her puppy inside as well. “I talked your Daddy into letting me take you out for a Valentine’s treat.”

 

“What about Riley?” Elenore asked. “Won’t she be jealous?”

 

Brian laughed. “Her and I have plans for this evening, no worries. Besides, she’s stolen the boys for the afternoon, as she wanted to treat them. Which worked out perfectly, because it gave me some free time to spend with you, my absolute favourite cousin.”

 

Elenore beamed, as she hugged him even tighter. “Bye Daddy!” She called out, unsure of where he was at the moment. “Loves you!”

 

Kevin came out of the kitchen then, a smile on his face. “I see your surprise found you.”

 

“Yes, he did,” Elenore nodded. “An’ I approve.”

 

Both cousins laughed, as she had a way of cracking them up.

 

“Well, I’m glad you approve,” Kevin stated. “Have fun, Princess.”

 

“Brian’s always fun!” Elenore giggled, as she watched him grab her jacket for her. “Bye!”

 

Kevin waved to them both, as he watched his cousin carry her on out to his awaiting car. He’d all ready gone and stuck her booster seat in the back of it for him so they were good to go. He was glad Brian had called, so he’d be able to spend some time with Kristin as well.

 

Brian set Elenore into her booster seat, then got in, and once buckled, pulled out of the Richardson driveway. He turned the radio on; making sure 98degrees was playing, and sang along to the CD with the little one in the backseat.

 

“So where are we going?” Elenore wanted to know after awhile. “Do I gets to know? Or is it a surprise?”

 

“How does a movie sound?” Brian smiled. “And some ice cream afterward?”

 

“That sounds great!” Elenore grinned. “I loves movies an’ ice cream!”

 

“It’s a date then,” Brian winked at her, as she smiled and resumed singing along to the CD.

 

Eventually, they were at the mall where the movie theater was, and they headed on in, getting a large popcorn to share and some soda as well. He even bought them a pack of almond M&Ms and some gummy bears to share; knowing she’d probably all ready had a bunch of sugar that morning.

 

“I think I likes going to the movies with you,” Elenore smiled. “You buy the good stuffs.”

 

Brian chuckled, as he let her pick out their seats, as he carried their tray of snacks. “We just won’t tell Kevin how much sugar you’ve had, so he’ll be surprised when I unleash you upon him.”

 

Elenore giggled, as she climbed into her seat, and graciously accepted her soda and gummy bears. “I’ll be all ninja quiet like, an’ then pounce on him he’ll never sees it coming. Hehe.”

 

Brian shook his head in amusement, as he took his seat next to her, making sure the rest of their snacks wouldn’t accidentally get knocked over by anyone.

 

The movie began then, and they watched with great interest, enjoying one another’s company like always. They were the other’s most favourite cousin after all, so there was no doubt they’d have a good time. Besides, Elenore was a Backstreet Boys fan and Brian was her favourite, so being related now made it that much sweeter for her. Though, Brian would tell you as well that he enjoyed the five-year-old’s company greatly, as she always had ways of amusing him without even trying – besides, he loved putting a smile on her little face.

 

Once the movie was over, they picked up after themselves, making sure to pocket what they hadn’t eaten of the almonds and gummy bears. They exited the theater, and headed in the direction of Cold Stone for some ice cream.

 

Along the way, they came upon the one toy store that was located in the mall. Elenore spotted it, and turned on her charm, smiling sweetly up at her cousin.

 

“Oh, Brian….” She trailed off, giving him her most innocent look.

 

“Oh, Ellie….” Brian teased.

 

“May I looks in the toy store? Please?”

 

“Sure thing, Kiddo,” Brian smiled. “It’d be a crime to go past a toy store without looking in it.”

 

“Yes, it’d be a crime,” Elenore agreed. “An’ ifs we commits a crime, Elliot would haves to arrest us an’ we don’ts want that.”

 

“No, we definitely don’t want that,” Brian laughed, knowing he’d be sure to tell the police friend this story later on. “Where should we start?”

 

“Ninja Turtles of course!” Elenore replied, giving him an odd look. “Everybody knows that.”

 

“But of course!” Brian said in his Donald Duck voice, causing her to giggle. “Lead the way!”

 

Elenore eagerly led the way to where all the action figures were, gasping upon spotting a new Ninja Turtles toy. “Oooh! Ninja Turtles legos!”

 

Brian watched her, just waiting for her to use the puppy-dog look on him, as he just knew she was not going to want to leave without those legos in hand.

 

“Oh, cousin Brian….”

 

“Oh, cousin Ellie…. the answer is ye-es….”

 

 Elenore looked up at him in surprise. “How’d you knows what I was gonna asks?”

 

“I see all, and know all,” Brian replied, ruffling her hair. “Remember?”

 

“Right. You’re the eyes in the back of Nicky’s head.”

 

“Yes, that I am,” Brian agreed. “Pick out the one you want the most.”

 

“Well, of course I wants Raphael!” Elenore exclaimed, grabbing up the box of legos that had her favourite Ninja Turtle accompanying it. “I bets Joshy would likes to haves the Leonardo one….”

 

Brian shook his head. “And Kota would want the Donatello one, and Spencer the Michelangelo one, right?”

 

“Right-o,” Elenore nodded. “An’ we c’n finds somethin’ else for Sarah an’ Chris!”

 

“I knew we should’ve grabbed a cart,” Brian commented, as he helped her gather up the requested items. “Let’s find something for the others, then go get our ice cream, okay?”

 

“Okay!” Elenore agreed, happy to see she still had her cousin wrapped tightly around her little finger.

 

Soon as they had picked out something for the other kids, they headed for the checkout, and left the store once they had all their bags. They finally reached Cold Stone, Brian carrying all their bags, while Elenore held tightly to his pant leg.

 

“Let’s get our ice creams to go,” Brian told her. “This way we can eat them in the car, as we head back.”

 

“Aww, do we hafta?” Elenore pouted, not wanting her day with Brian to end just yet.

 

“Yes, Miss Ellie, we must,” Brian replied, as he knew she’d protest. “It’s getting late, and I bet your Daddy is missing you.”

 

“Well, if we must….” Elenore sighed heavily. “I wants triple tornado, please, Brian! I wants to haves a blue tongue!”

 

“I think I’ll get the same,” Brian stated. “Then we can have blue tongues together!”

 

Elenore gave him an appreciative smile, as she was reminded of just why she loved her cousin so much.

 

They got their cones to go, Brian making sure to grab lots of napkins. They headed on back out to the car then, and loaded it up with their parcels. Once they were in as well, they headed on back to the Richardson household.

 

As they pulled into the driveway, Elenore spoke up, her ice cream cone now finished, and her hands and face sticky.

 

“You’re coming in, rights cousin, Brian?”

 

“Of course I am,” Brian answered. “Someone has to carry your parcels in for you, so they don’t get covered in ice cream stickiness.”

 

“Kay,” Elenore replied. “An’ you hafta waits for me to finish washin’ my hands, ‘fore you go, kay?”

 

“Okie doke,” Brian agreed, as he parked the car.

 

Soon as the car was parked, and she’d been unbuckled from her seat, Elenore ran on inside yelling hello, as she hurried into the bathroom. Her hands washed, she ran on into her bedroom, before scurrying back downstairs once more.

 

“Brian! Brian!” She called out. “I haves somethin’ for you!”

 

“Ellie! Ellie!” Brian called out in response. “I’m in the living room!”

 

Elenore ran on into the living room, tackling him in a hug, giggling as she did so. “I made you somethin’ special,” she informed him, as she handed him a homemade Valentine’s card. “An’ I puts lotsa sparkles too!”

 

Brian smiled at her lovingly, as he sat on the floor and gathered her into his lap, as he opened his card.

 

“To Brian, I loves you lots. Loves Ellie,” he read, as Kevin sat on the couch watching them together. “Aww. I love you too, Kiddo. And thank-you for my card; I’ll be sure to stick it on my fridge, where everyone can see it.”

 

“Your very welcome,” Elenore giggled, as he kissed her neck playfully. “Brian! That tickles!”

 

“Good,” Brian laughed, as he reached over and picked an envelope up off the floor. “I have something for you too, Miss Ellie.”

 

“Oooh,” Elenore marveled, as she pulled a Ninja Turtles card out of the envelope. “It’s my ninjas!”

 

She opened it up, frowning a little when she realized she had no idea what he’d written. She hated that she didn’t know how to read.

 

“To a special little ninja in training,” Brian began, knowing just what the problem was. “Have a Turtle-riffic Valentine’s Day! I love you lots, favourite cousin of mine. Love, Brian.”

 

Elenore swooned slightly, as she sat there in his lap. He always knew just what to do, to make her feel special. She turned in his lap, so she was on her knees, and wrapped her arms about his neck, hugging him tightly.

 

“Thank-you, Brian,” she whispered softly. “I loves it.”

 

“You’re welcome,” Brian whispered back, hugging her tightly and kissing the side of her head. “Remember, you’re to unleash your sugar high once I’m long gone.”

 

Elenore giggled at their little secret. Boy, was her Daddy ever going to be in for a surprise. How she’d managed to sit still this long, was beyond her – all she wanted to do was run around and bounce.

 

Brian stood with her in his arms then, as he headed for the front door, Kevin following them. “Thanks for letting me steal her, Kev.”

 

“I couldn’t very well say no,” Kevin smirked. “you would’ve come and stolen her anyway.”

 

“That I would’ve,” Brian agreed, as he kissed Elenore’s head once more, before setting her down. “Don’t forget to wrap the gifts for your friends later.”

 

“Don’ts worry, I wills,” Elenore promised. “They’re gonna be surprised!”

 

“Yes, that they are,” Brian smiled. “Bye Kev.”

 

“Later cous’,” Kevin replied. “Have fun with Riley tonight.”

 

Brian smirked at his older cousin, as he walked out the door, then addressed the small child. “Bye Ellie. I love you.”

 

“Bye Brian! Loves you!” Elenore waved. “You c’n comes an’ steals me anytime!”

 

“I’ll remember that,” Brian laughed, as he unlocked his car, and drove off. He still had a fiancée he had to spend the evening with.

 

Soon as Brian’s car was out of sight, and Kevin had closed the door, Elenore shot off like a rocket for the backyard.

 

“C’mon Daddy! Come bounce withs me!” She called out. “I wanna bounce offs the walls!”

 

“I don’t even want to know how much sugar our crazy cousin gave you,” Kevin groaned, though he couldn’t help but smile. “I’ll be right there, Princess!”

 

He watched her run on out, as he sent Brian a text message, knowing his cousin was getting the last laugh. Thanks for the hyper-ness warning.