- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Still not quite sure where I'm headed with this story. Hope you all enjoy
Chapter 2

"Nick give me a reading on that funnel!" Brandy shouted into the radio on the truck as AJ drove. The instrument pack was in the bed of the truck and they raced down the highway to catch up with the funnel cloud that had formed.

"It's an F3....large rope on the ground....wind speeds are 175...base is a quarter of a mile wide." Nick replied.

"Very nice shape too." AJ commented, not meaning to look at Brandy as she shouted into the radio. She gave him the death glare and rolled her eyes.

"I meant the......I meant the tornado." AJ said. He didn't feel any attraction for her, at least he didn't think he did. Sure, she was pretty and could stand up for herself....but he just couldn't see himself with her. Hell, she hated Nick...he had absolutely no idea what she thought about him. They had been trying to place an instrument pack inside a tornado for a few months now, it had taken that long to even design one. Brandy was very intelligent....he didn't imagine they could have gotten so far without her.
"Pull the fuck over and get your goddamn head out of the clouds." Brandy snapped, jarring him out of his thoughts. He watched her as she jumped out and they readied the pack.

"Nick keep me updated." she said to him as he got out and started taking pictures. He watched the data on his laptop while Brandy and Alex got back inp the truck moments later.

"I think this time could be it..." Brandy said confidentally, grinning at him. She was pretty when she actually gave a damn about how she looked. The two of them put the pack in the middle of the road and pulled far enough away so that they could watch. As the twister approached, it tossed a tree into the pack and it toppled over, the silver sensors scattering on the road. A stream of curses flew out of her mouth as Brandy kicked the tire of the truck.

"Fucking son of a goddamn whore....." she screamed.

"Look, we still got a few more...." Alex offered when they drove away, the tornado dissipating.

"Jesus Christ, McLean. I hate this prissy life is grand attitude. Life sucks and then you die." Brandy commented. They were tired now, it being the end of the day and everyone was hungry. The team stopped at a small truck stop diner to eat and Nick shared a booth with Alex.

"Well, today was a success." Nick smiled, his mouth full of french fries drenched in ketchup.

"How the hell do you figure that one?" Alex asked, looking at him as if he had grown a second head.

"Nothing hit me in the head." Nick said matter of factly. Alex stared at him at first then cracked a smile and laughed. Working with Brandy was stressful enough, he had his fill of her for the day.

"Nick, I think you have been hit in the head one too many times, my friend."

"So when are you and Brandy gonna be getting hitched?" Nick joked. Alex threw a french fry at him and the two of them laughed.

"I will take that as a hell to the no."

"There is something about her I haven't figured out yet....but I don't see myself marrying that girl." Alex explained. Nick was busily staring at the girl who had just walked in. She was wearing a short denim skirt, a low cut halter top....and a cowboy hat.

"Keep your eyes in your head." Alex scolded in a whisper. The girl didn't look a day over 18, her brown hair halfway down her back. She walked past them and smiled, waving her fingers at the two men...Nick couldn't stop staring.

"Look, just because you want to become the 40 year old virgin....doesn't mean I have to. I'm totally hitting Legs over there." Nick whispered as he smiled like the cheshire cat, licking his lips.

"Whatever. Brandy is gonna kill you if she finds a girl in your van again." Alex said, sounding older than he felt. Admittedly he found the girl attractive but Nick liked anything with boobs and legs.

"For the record, Nick....I'm not a virgin." he added bitterly.

"Right....keep telling yourself that. That's why I always see you eye humping Brandy out in the field." Nick said as he stood up and walked over to the girl. He slid into her booth and immediately began to work his charm on her. The truth was, he wasn't sure what he wanted...but he knew that if that instrument pack worked...their storm chasing team would be able to do so much for many lives in Tornado Alley....and he wanted to be among the first. Love was the last thing on his mind.