- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter sorry it took so long, I had trouble getting inspired for it. Hope you all enjoy this update and keep reading!
Chapter 3

Nick ended up not getting laid that night by the young girl in the diner. Her boyfriend had arrived and quickly took care of Nick's advances.

"Well, Nicky...looks like you CAN'T make it through a day without getting hit in the head." Alex laughed when Nick sat down at their booth, scowling and watching the girl with her boyfriend.

"Technically it was my eye...." Nick argued, sighing.

"Maybe at least one of us will get a woman. You seem to be sweet on Brandy. " he said after a moment of silence.

"I don't think so..." Alex protested immediately, cutting him off. Nick's eyebrows wiggled a little as he watched Brandy studying the laptop in front of her, her hair still a mess but it was pinned up now. Alex looked too for a moment but Nick tapped his arm.

"I know you like her....its the way you look at her." he insisted.

"No way. There's something about Brandy but I can't put my finger on it." Alex replied, eating the last of his onion rings.

"She's hot." Nick whispered. Alex didn't agree or protest....he wasn't sure how he felt at this point. There was a connection between them but he didn't feel romantically linked to her at all. She was so into her work most of the time it was hard to get to know her at all. Brandy was a tough person to talk to, she didn't really let anybody in.

"Just talk to her, Alex. She's cool once you get to know her." Nick said, jarring him out of his thoughts. Alex had not been on the storm chasing team as long as Nick and Brandy had. He had been going to school to be a meteorologist but had been offered the storm chasing job and taken it right away. He loved every minute of it, being out in the action. They saw the sky outside the diner getting dark and it began thundering.

"We got a cell not far from here.....rotation is starting here....let's move, let's move!" Brandy said as she ran past them. Nick and Alex left money on the table for their bill and ran after her. Alex got into the truck and Brandy hopped into the passenger seat.

"So....how are you?" he asked suddenly, after they had been driving for a while. Brandy shot a look that burned on impact. He felt awkward and looked away from her, blushing slightly.

"Okaaaay then." Alex said, looking to the darkening sky.

"What's gotten into you lately?" Brandy asked.

"What do you mean?" Alex replied, his eyes narrowed.

"You have been acting all weird....and these secret discussions with Carter?" she pointed out.

"Why? Are you jealous?" Alex said without thinking. She became flustered and her ears turned pink to his shock and amusement....he laughed at her.

"N-No, I just wondered what was going on." she said finally.

"Absolutely nothing is going on. I just want to get to know you better." he told her, watching the road. Thunder crackled above them and it got darker as they went.

"Uh...guys?" Nick's voice came over the radio.

"Bullshit, freakshow. You're up to something....and if you think for one second that I'm going to fall for it, you're WRONG."

"I am not doing anything-"

"Guys...." Nick repeated.

"You men are all alike...you just want a quick fuck, don't you?" Brandy shouted. Alex was furious. There was no way he was like that. He was a one woman kind of guy....Nick was too, but he got bored quick. Alex always said Nick had the worst case of girl ADD he had ever seen.

"Hey you guys...." Nick's voice came over the radio again louder and more urgent than before.
"WHAT?!" Alex and Brandy shouted in unison.

"Uh....I just wondered if you wanted to, ah....chase this tornado or wait for the next one?" he said.

"SHIT!!! SHIT!!!" Alex shouted, punching his foot on the brake pedal. He looked to their left....there was a swirling monster on the ground a few hundred yards away. Clearly looked to be an F2.

"Turn around!" Brandy screamed, and the truck raced back the way they came, almost hitting Nick's van. The tires squealed as they raced towards the funnel, hoping that this one would be their big chance.