- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so incredibly sorry for abandoning this in the way that I did. I lost inspiration for it, but I hope you guys are still reading and enjoy this update. I do plan on finishing it and hopefully you won't have to wait another year for a update!
Chapter 8


"Brandy?" Alex said, knocking on the door of her motel room.

"Leave me the fuck alone, Alex. I'm not in the mood." she shouted from behind the door.

"Well, at least she didn't call me freak show,"

Alex sighed and walked towards the soda machine at the end of the hall, got a Coke and made a U-turn. On his way back, he saw the window open a crack.

"Brandy, you gotta tell him what's going on. Tell him you don't want him in your life." Nick's voice said in a consoling way.

"I love him....as much as he pisses me off, I love him. I don't know what to do." Brandy said, sniffling.
"You're better off without that guy honestly. He's not good for you."


Alex felt his eyes watering. Nick was supposed to be his best friend and he was telling Brandy to shut him out even more. Gripping the soda can, he continued to his room and slammed the door, kicking the bed. He wasn't even sure why he was angry at all. Brandy was practically his boss, and he had slept with her. He didn't know what to think.

"Fucking Christ." he muttered, running a hand through his blonde streaked hair and sighing, flopping backwards onto the bed. The motel wasn't the fanciest place but it would do for the night. All Alex wanted was to get the goddamn pack in the air....then everything would finally pick up for them.



"Nick, its not that simple. This isn't like those random fuck buddies you meet along the way. This is love I'm talking about." Brandy scoffed, looking at Nick from across the room.

"I was in love this morning." he replied with a small smirk. Brandy shook her head, her blonde bangs falling in her face. Nick was so naïve when it came to the opposite sex.

"You were in love with who? That girl at the front desk? What was her name?"

"Uh.....Julie? Beth? I dunno. She had legs for days." Nick said wistfully.

"You don't know her name and you're in love?" Brandy questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Sure. I'm in love with her legs. Ya know....I picture them wrapped around my waist while I'm-" Nick continued.

"Okay...forget it Carter. I don't need that visual." she said.

"Look. All I'm saying is that you need to tell him you are done. Kevin is obsessed with you."

"But I love him, Nick."

"What about Alex?" Nick asked. Brandy sat still for a while, thinking. Things had gotten pretty complicated when Alex had joined their storm chasing team. He kept trying to break down the wall she had put up to keep him out and it was making her curious as to what her feelings were for him.

She had slept with him....now what?

"Uh....Brandy? Hellooooo...." Nick's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Sorry, Nick. I love Kevin. I married him for a reason, but I don't think I can run from him anymore. He doesn't understand I don't want to work in a fucking cubicle. I want to be free."

"Well you gotta tell Alex the truth." Nick said matter-of-factly, tapping his foot on the edge of the bed.

"And why should I? He's not my boyfriend or anything. Alex and I shared a kiss, it meant nothing to me." Brandy snapped.

"Look. I know the two of you did the horizontal shuffle, you don't need to lie to me. I may be blonde but I'm not THAT dumb." Nick said, standing up. He headed to the door and opened it as Brandy watched, scowling.

"Tell him. You owe him that much."

Brandy stared at the door after Nick left, thinking. She wished she had never let herself kiss Alex, never gotten involved with him. Now that Kevin was back, she wasn't sure what would happen next.



The next morning they set out for Sequoya, Oklahoma where the dry line was getting fired up again. The sky was darkening quickly and Brandy sat in the passenger seat of Alex's pickup truck in silence.

"Today is gonna be a good day, look at that momatus building. Gotta be spiking at 40,000." Alex said, trying to make small talk. She ignored him, playing with the frayed bottom of her black tank top.

"Why are you avoiding me?" he asked in frustration.

"I told you I didn't want to talk. If you're gonna start that tired ass argument again, you can pull the fuck over and I will ride with Carter." Brandy hissed. Alex rolled his eyes, studying the sky.

"So you can talk behind my back again?"

"What the fuck, Alex? Why are you listening on my conversations?"

"Guys..." Nick's voice came in over the CB.

"What, Nick?" Brandy asked. Alex shook his head....usually she was cold towards Nick as well, but all of a sudden they seemed like best friends.

"We got company."

Brandy turned to look and she could see his blue car following....

"Oh fucking hell."

This was not going to end well.