- Text Size +

~ 40 (a) ~

 

 

 

The Thin Sheet

 

 

 

 

 

+ Brian +

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I felt for this other Nick who was in the kitchen. I wanted to hate him, even wished him dead, but I just couldn’t. He was Nick. I laid my head against the bed where the body of my best friend lied just beneath a thin sheet. I felt his cold hand at the base of my neck but I still didn’t move. I know I was acting weird. I know it’s not normal to hang around a dead body but to me, it’s Nick. I can’t leave him all alone. I have never been able to do that.

 

 

 

Ever since I have known him, he has hated being alone. I’m not sure when it became my job to keep him occupied and feeling safe, but it’s a job I have always taken very seriously and without much complaint. I loved him.

 

 

 

“I hate him for coming here.”

 

 

 

I had forgotten that AJ was in the room with me. It seemed like I had lost all sense of time ever since Nick’s death.

 

 

 

“I want him to leave.”

 

 

 

“Kevin won’t let that happen.”

 

 

 

“I know.”

 

 

 

I moved off of Nick’s hand and sat up again, rubbing my eyes as they further adjusted to the dark room. The murmuring coming from the kitchen was growing louder and I could make out a few words here or there but I tried my best to block it out. I didn’t particularly want to know what was being said. More importantly, I didn’t particularly care.

 

 

 

“He killed Nick.”

 

 

 

“AJ, I know.”

 

 

 

He nodded, “Sorry, I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that…” He drifted off. Nothing more needed to be said.

 

 

 

The bedroom door opened and in walked Kevin who decided to turn on the light, not allowing us to swim in the darkness of our own thoughts. “We have to start moving.”

 

 

 

He said to us although he was looking directly at that thin sheet as he talked. “We have a very small timeline we’re dealing with.”

 

 

 

“We’re really going?”

 

 

 

“Of course we are. We’re getting out of here, Brian.”

 

 

 

He walked over to the bed and stared down at Nick as AJ and I gradually stood up. “It’s weird knowing he’s in here while there’s another one out there.”

 

 

 

“What about that other one?” AJ asked. I could actually here the conflicted hate in his voice.

 

 

 

“I don’t know.”

 

 

 

Kevin put his hand on Nick’s leg in a loving, heartbreaking way. The look on his face cried out a vulnerability that was forever going to a part of him. “I don’t know…” He straightened himself out and put on his tough face once again, trying to hide his real emotions under a thin sheet of his own.

 

 

 

“Be ready in less than an hour.”

 

 

 

He looked at both of us then once more at Nick, before walking out the bedroom door.

 

 

 

“I don’t see how this is even going to work.” AJ said as he moved to click off the lights.

 

 

 

“I guess we have to at least try though.”

 

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

 

A knock on the door made us both jump. “Can I come in?” There was that all too familiar voice.

 

 

 

AJ looked to me for permission before opening the door and letting Nick in. I think he was hoping I wouldn’t allow it, but I needed to see him as much as he needed to see me.

 

 

 

“Kevin said I could find some dry clothes in here…” His voice drifted off as he saw himself laying on the bed, only that small thin sheet covering up what he had done.

 

 

 

“I’m going to get ready, you gonna be okay, Rok?”

 

 

 

I nodded at AJ and then glanced over at Nick who was staring down at himself intently. I walked over to the small dresser in the corner and pulled out some sweats, a tee shirt and socks. “These will probably fit you.” I handed them to my best friend’s look a like and then actually took a few steps backwards as if I had just fed a lion.

 

 

 

“Thanks.”

 

 

 

He smiled, but it wasn’t a genuine one. “The two of you were…”

 

 

 

“He was my best friend.” I wouldn’t allow him to finish.

 

 

 

He nodded, “Same with my Brian and me…”

 

 

 

“He was like a little brother to me and I loved him very much.” I looked right at him when I said it, wishing that it was my Nick standing there. If I only had the chance to let him know how much he meant to me when he was alive. I hope he realized that. I hope he understood how important he was to my life.

 

 

 

“I did what I had to do.”

 

 

 

His tone went very standoffish suddenly as if I had said something to offend him. Maybe it was because I had made eye contact. But it wasn’t that. Just like my Nick, this one was swimming in his own guilt. He hated himself for what he did. I think he hated himself in general. As much as I wanted to tell him it was okay, I couldn’t. I know he wanted and needed to hear those words too. How could I tell him it was okay? There’s no way, so I just let an awkward silence fall between us for a few minutes.

 

 

 

“You really think this Matt guy is going to get you home?”

 

 

 

“I hope so.”

 

 

 

“It seems like an out there type of plan.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, it does, but we have to try.”

 

 

 

“Thanks for the clothes.” He put them under his arm and started for the door, “I bet your Nick was a much better person than I am. I apologize for taking him away from you.”

 

 

 

When he walked out the door all the emotions I had been bottling up since Kevin said “Nicky is gone.” Finally came out in a huge way. I dropped down to the ground and started bawling, making fists with both hands and jamming them in my eyes to try to hold back the endless stream of tears that seemed to be flowing.

 

 

 

I know everyone had to hear me. I wasn’t exactly being quiet, but no one came in. They allowed me time with my grief and I appreciated that. When I had cried my last tear, I ventured over to the bed, sat down beside my friend and removed that thin sheet, revealing his slowly graying face. He didn’t look like he was just sleeping anymore. This was clearly a dead body and soon it would start decaying, but at the moment, it was my best friend.

 

 

 

I grabbed his hand in my own and tried to ignore how cold and stiff it was. “Nick…I love you buddy. When we get back, I’m going to tell your family and everyone else how brave and strong you were. We’re leaving in a little while, I need to go get ready but I’ll be back soon, okay?”

 

 

 

I wiped a small piece of hair off of his face and then put the sheet back on top of him.

 

 

 

When I turned to leave the room I was greeted by the face of Howie, staring at me as if I were a crazy person. “You okay?” He whispered. He did think I was nuts.

 

 

 

“Fine.”

 

 

 

“We’re going to get him home, Brian.”

 

 

 

“I know.” But I didn’t know anything, except grief.

 

 

 

I brushed past D and ventured into the living room where there seemed to be a bustle of activity. It’s weird how one room could be so quiet and calm while another is the complete opposite. Once inside, you knew something was going down. Butterflies started flittering away in my stomach as I moved to the corner of the room to listen to what was being said while changing into something that smelled a little less of death.

 

 

 

“We really need to make sure you guys are in this exact spot and all walk in together.”

 

 

 

“Walk in? We just walk in?”

 

 

 

“That’s the plan.”

 

 

 

“We don’t have to be in the plane or anything?”

 

 

 

“No plane.”

 

 

 

AJ seemed flustered as he continued to question Matt. I was just focusing on the turtle neck I was putting on.

 

 

 

“Doesn’t it seem weird if we don’t enter our world the same way we left it?”

 

 

 

“I can’t construct a plane from scratch. This will have to do.”

 

 

 

Matt was getting annoyed but it’s not like AJ was asking stupid questions.

 

 

 

“When we come through the other side, will we be at the Museum of Natural History or somewhere else?”

 

 

 

This time it was Kevin’s turn.

 

 

 

“I wish I could give you answers. The truth is, I have no idea. I would think you’d end up at the Museum, yes, but there’s no telling for sure. It might take you back to Pennsylvania, or you could even end up somewhere else.”

 

 

 

“What about some time else?”

 

 

 

Everyone looked over at Nick as if he had ten heads. “I mean, isn’t there a chance you enter this tear and end up in another world and not your own?”

 

 

 

Up until now, I’m not sure if anyone even thought about that. I take that back, I’m sure it crossed the mind of all the geniuses in the group but it clearly failed to cross any of our minds.

 

 

 

“Could that happen?” I asked Matt and Charlie who seemed to be a little apprehensive to delve deeper into that question.

 

 

 

“Guys, anything is possible, but whatever the case, we need to make our move soon. Are you still willing to do this?”

 

 

 

I glanced around the room at everyone. Each face held a different expression. Howie’s was full of hope. AJ’s was full of doubt. Kevin had a look of intensity. No matter whatever happened he would deal with it then and there. Don’s looked annoyed and ready for this thing to end. Larry looked determined, both Charlie and Matt looked anxious. Alan just looked tired, but Nick’s face said it all. He had a look of acceptance. As long as he wasn’t alone, he would be okay, no matter what happened, whether it was this world or the next.

 

 

 

My Nick would look exactly the same.

 

 

 

“Let’s do it!” I was the first to speak, which I think surprised everyone.

 

 

 

“Would you like to bury your friend before we go?”

 

 

 

I could tell Don was trying to be sympathetic but if the answer was yes, he was going to be annoyed. I’m not sure why he would even say that because…

 

 

 

“We’re taking him with us.” Kevin answered.

 

 

 

“He’d just be dead weight we’d have to carry all the way to the museum.”

 

 

 

“I don’t care. He’s coming home with us, we owe him that much.”

 

 

 

“Well, I’m not carrying him.”

 

 

 

“I will.” All eyes turned to Nick as he continued, “I’ll carry him for you.”

 

 

 

Nick looked over at me and smiled, this time a very real one, “It’s what my best friend would want me to do.”

 

 

 

A fresh batch of tears started to form in my eyes as everyone started to move and get this plan in motion.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hey all! Hope you're enjoying both versions of the ending. Here is part A. I will try to post part B either later on tonight or tomorrow night. I have to actually write it first lol As always, thanks for reading! :O)