- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


 

May 21st 1997

Aaron laid on his bed with tears streaming down his face. He had been crying non-stop ever since he had heard the news. The girl and her parents had finally chosen that they did not want the child. Unfortunately she was now nearly 5 and a half months along; much too far along for an abortion. 

One would figure Aaron would be happy she had chosen to give it up. However, because the girl was sure of the father, Aaron and his parents would have to agree to give it up for adoption. This is where the tears set it. Bob and Jane had made it very clear that they wouldn’t allow Aaron to give away his child if it came down to them getting a say.

So now in 3 and a half short months Aaron would be a father. He’d have a small infant child to care for all on his own due to his parents forcing him to keep it and the child’s mother not wanting it. Aaron didn’t see how it was fair that she could give away the baby and he couldn’t.  This kid was going to ruin everything.

Aaron ended up finally drifting off to a very restless slumber around 4 the next morning. His dreams were filled with nightmare images of screaming infants and zero concerts. Unable to stay asleep he ended up taking a Tylenol pm around 5:30 which knocked him out.

The next day around 11 Bob and Jane allowed Aaron to continue sleeping. He deserved sine rest after the night he had. Aaron’s older brother had been called a few hours earlier and was asked to come over. He knew about the pregnancy but they wanted to explain the more recent news to him in person. They also hoped he would be able to somehow comfort Aaron.

Upon arriving Bob and Jane sat with Nick and caught him up to speed. Nick’s heart hurt for his brother the moment his father told him that they weren’t allowing Aaron to give his child away to strangers forever.  He had spoken to Aaron before and knew the last thing Aaron wanted was to be a father. Nick loved Aaron very much and wished he could help him.

“It doesn’t seem fair. She shouldn’t get to give the baby up since you guys are making Aaron keep it.” Nick commented.

“I know. It just means we’re the bigger people though. We aren’t low enough to give away flesh and blood.” Jane replied.

“No, but you’re making Aaron do something he doesn’t want to.” Nick fought for his brother’s sake. He couldn’t help it.

“So you think we’re wrong for wanting to keep our grandchild with its real family?” Bob asked him.

Nick shook his head and sighed, “No, not at all. I agree that the baby shouldn’t be thrown away but…” Nick paused to collect his thoughts. “I just think that you guys should have to help him since you’re not giving him a choice.”

“Nick, we are going to help your brother.” Jane assured.

“You’re gonna get up with it at night? You’re gonna watch it enough that he can keep going on his music career? You’re gonna help him change diapers and clean up puke?” Nick argued know his parents had no intention of helping with the not so glamorous stuff and there was no way they would give up enough of their time to let him continue in his dreams.

“Well…” Jane trailed off.

“That’s what I thought. You’re giving him no out and no help. That’s the part of this that sucks the most.” Nick normally never spoke in a disrespectful manner to his parents but this time they were out of line.

“Well what do you propose we do Nick? You said you agreed it needed to stay with us but we don’t have time to help him enough so that he can keep singing. I mean we do have three other children Nickolas.” Bob fought back.

Nick stood and began to pace while the gears in his head began to turn.

Bob and Jane watched him until he abruptly stopped and turned to them, “I’ll take the baby.”

“What?” Bob asked as he and Jane’s eyes went wide.

“I’ll adopt the baby.” Nick repeated walking back over and sitting down.

“Nick you don’t know what you’re saying. You’re at the height of your career. You taking the baby would be worse on you then Aaron.” Jane argued.

“No, I’m an adult. Aaron’s not. I can hire a nanny or handler to help me when I’m doing music stuff. Tons of celebs do it.” Nick argued. He wasn’t sure where this idea came from but he knew he wanted to follow thru with it.

“No Nicky, it wouldn’t be fair to you. It’s not your child. You shouldn’t have to care for it.” Bob shook his head.

“I want to care for it. I love Aaron and I want to help him.” Nick stayed adamant.

“We won’t let you do this to yourself. It’s Aaron’s mistake. He needs to suffer the consequence.”

“Mom, we’re talking about a human life, not a baseball through a window.” Nick tried not to shout.

“He’s right Jane.” Bob finally agreed with Nick.

Nick nodded and licked his lips.

“Jane, we need to let Aaron decide. Nick is family. He’s willing to do this. Aaron should get to choose this if he really doesn’t want to parent this child.” Bob held Jane’s hand softly as he spoke.

Jane could only nod and agree. She knew Bob and Nick were right. Honestly, she was happy to know that she had raised Nick to be such a loving older brother.

“I’ll go wake him and talk to him now.” Nick softly stood.

His parents just nodded and hugged as he left the room.