- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

March 1st 2007

March 1st 2007

Aaron walked around a high end clothing store with his twin sister. She had just finished trying on two tops.

“So, should I get the pink or the blue?” She asked him looking at the two shirts.

“I like the blue one on you. It looks good with your eyes.” He told her.

“Yeah, I know but, this pink one is so flirty and fun.” She eyed it.

“So get the pink.” He rolled his eyes and laughed at her.

She looked between the two tops once more. “Actually, I think I’ll get both.” She grinned.

Aaron laughed at her a little more and walked with her to pay. As they finished and left the store her cell phone alarm began to go off.

“What’s up?” Aaron questioned.

“Oh, I put a reminder on my phone of when to go pick up Ashleigh from that birthday party.” She explained as they walked toward her car.

“Why are you getting her?” Aaron asked puzzled.

“The boys had a radio thing this afternoon and Leighanne is outta town doing Wylee stuff. He said he was too afraid to ask you and didn’t know who else to turn to. He didn’t wanna tell her she couldn’t go.” Angel explained as they got in the car.

Aaron at first said nothing as they begin to drive but soon he asked, “You are taking me to my apartment first right?” He sounded worried.

“No, I’m not done hanging out with you. There is no reason you can’t be around her long enough for me to take her to Nick at the radio station.”

Aaron rolled his eyes.

“What is with you? She is nine now. That means everything happened nine years ago. It’s time to get over everything and be a normal Uncle for her.” Angel scolded.

Aaron ran his hand over the tattoo of an Angel he had on his other arm. He always did when he was feeling stressed. He had gotten the tattoo for his twin whom he loved. Something about it relaxed him even when it was her who had him stressed. “I’m not a normal Uncle Angie. I never will be.” Aaron spoke.

“But she doesn’t know that. All she knows is that Nick is her father and you are her uncle and for a reason beyond her knowledge, you hate her.” Angel went on.

“I don’t hate her.” He rolled his eyes and looked out the window.

“She thinks you do.” Angel took her eyes off the road just long enough to glance at him.

“No she doesn’t.”

“Oh really? They why did she ask me two weekends ago why you hated her?” Angel’s voice raised.

“I don’t hate her.” He softly repeated then added even softer, “I just hate where she came from. What she almost took away from me.”

“What’s that Aaron? You’re music career? Yeah, I see what you mean. You’re just so famous right now without her being any part of you.” Angel huffed as they pulled onto the street where Ashleigh was.

Aaron hadn’t performed since he was nineteen. He was now twenty five.

“Angel…” He began but she cut him off.

“What is she doing out side?” Angel asked seeing her sitting on the curb from a distance still.

Aaron looked up toward her. Instantly he knew she was upset. “Stop the car.” He said having no idea why. Something had come over him.

Angel, confused, stop the car. Aaron jumped out and ran toward her. “Ash!” He called out.

She looked up at him. Her face was red and puffy. It looked like she had been crying a while.

“She said her mom made her invite me. She called me nasty things and said she was gonna tell everyone at school that I throw up after I eat.” She sobbed hard.

Aaron pulled her into his arms. He wasn’t even thinking clearly. Had he been he wouldn’t have been anywhere near her. “Ashleigh, stop crying. None of that is true. I’m gonna take care of this.” Aaron stood and ran toward the door of the house as Angel neared Ashleigh.

The girls watch Aaron as he beat on the door. When it opened he looked enraged as he spoke to the mother of the girl. The mother looked shocked and yelled out. Soon the girl came into view and the mother seemed to be scolding her. Aaron then followed suit and pointed toward Ashleigh. The mother did also.

The girl rolled her eyes and walked toward Ashleigh with Aaron and her mom close behind.

“Ashleigh?” She questioned.

Ashleigh and Angel stood. Angel kept her arm around her niece.

“What?” Ashleigh tried not to cry.

“I’m sorry I called you those bad thing and I won’t lie and tell everyone at school that you throw up after you eat.” She didn’t sound very sincere.

Ashleigh nodded but wouldn’t say anything.

“No one speaks to her like that and I promise I’ll cause you big problems if you do decide to open your mouth at school.” Aaron warned her angry.

“Agreed.” The mother told her. “Ashleigh, hun, I’m so sorry. I wish you would have told me. I promise I’ll do all that I can to keep her from giving you any more trouble.” The mother added.

Ashleigh just nodded.

With that the three Carter’s left.

“Ashleigh, hun, why does that girl not like you so much?” Angel asked as they drove away.

“I don’t know. It’s probably cause she jealous of me. Her room is covered in pictures of dad and Uncle AJ.” She explained.

“Girls can be so stupid.” Aaron shook his head. “You stay away from girls like that.”

“I will. Thank you for standing up for me.” Ashleigh told him.

“Yeah Aaron, that was awesome.” Angel rubbed his knee.

Aaron nodded, “No one gives my family shit.” He simply said.

The rest of the ride was pretty quiet for the most part.

“Ok, let’s go in and find your dad.” Angel said as they pulled up to the radio station.

Ashleigh nodded and they started to get out. “Aren’t you coming Uncle Aaron?” Ashleigh asked him.

He just shook his head and looked away from her out the window.

She sighed deeply and followed Angel inside.

As they entered the building Ashleigh stopped, “Aunt Angel?”

“Yeah hun?”

“I don’t wanna tell dad.”

“Tell dad what?” Brian’s voice was heard.

Ashleigh tried to put on a bright smile for him, “Uncle Brian!”

“Ashleigh, nice try, what happened?” He mocked her fake enthusiasm.

Ashleigh sighed, “At the party, the girl whose birthday it was said a lot of really mean things to me.”

“Please tell me you told her mom.” Brian looked upset.

“Aaron did.” Angel jumped in.

“Aaron did?” He questioned surprised.

“Yeah, then he got all strange again.” She shook her head.

Brian sighed. He could see she was trying not to come a crossed as hurt.

“Well, I gotta go. Brian, you mind?” She pointed to Ashleigh.

“Course not. Come on baby girl.” Brian smiled and walked away with Asleigh to find Nick.

Angel then headed back out to the car to find that Aaron was crying.

“AC?” She questioned worried.

“Why couldn’t they just let me give her up?” He sobbed.

“Aaron!” Angel seemed worried.

“She almost ruined my life Angel. She almost took away the one thing I love most. Who gives a shit if I’m taking an extended break? I didn’t want her then and I don’t want her now.” Aaron had anger in his voice.

“That’s nothing new. What’s the problem now?” Angel felt lost. She wasn’t sure how to help her twin.

Aaron rubbed his tattoo, “The problem is, I love her.”

“That’s a problem?”

“Yeah! Cause I don’t wanna love her!” Aaron yelled then burst into tears. “I’m so confused Angie. I promised myself I’d never want her… I’d never love her and yet, now I do.”

“Oh bub…” She said and pulled him into a hug.