- Text Size +

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:12.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Cambria","serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page WordSection1 {size:595.0pt 842.0pt; margin:35.45pt 35.45pt 35.45pt 35.45pt; mso-header-margin:35.45pt; mso-footer-margin:35.45pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Emma’s Point of View

My room is my sanctuary. It’s the one place in the house my brothers can’t go. It’s all decorated pink and ballet style. I have a laptop set up, my bookshelf, my massive bed and of course my cupboard full of ballet gear; leotards, tutus, Pointe shoes, soft shoes, leggings, singlet and skirts. I had the odd pair of jeans, t-shirts and dresses as well but my cupboard was just full of dance clothes. I sat on the edge of my bed and thought about what Nick had said. Maybe I should go over to his place after rehearsals. Let loose a bit. It can’t hurt, can it?

The rehearsals at work are always the same it seems. My dance partner, David, is great and his absolutely gorgeous so he makes it bearable. David is one of my good friends, we’ve grown up together, we used to dance at the same dance studio for years. We dated when we were fifteen until we were seventeen. He got accepted into the American Ballet when he was seventeen, so he’s an old hand at how rehearsals work. He’s the male lead this season and so he should be. He works incredibly hard and is the most amazing dancer. He has been offered countless times to go and dance at the Royal Ballet in England, but he insists he wants to dance in America.

 

“What are you up to after rehearsals?” David asked during our drink break.

“I’ll probably just go to bed, why?”
“Just wondering cause I was going to watch a few DVDs and fall asleep in front of the TV if you wanted to join me.”
“No, it’s alright thanks.” I smiled.
“Well if you change your mind, the offer is there.”
“Thanks Dave.”

 

At the end of rehearsals, I was exhausted. When I drove into the driveway, I saw the light in Nick’s house was still on. I contemplated going in and saying hi. I went inside my house and had a shower and changed into a pair of sweat pants and a white singlet and my ugg boots. I looked at my reflection in my bathroom mirror. I wasn’t the image of perfection a principal ballerina should be. I wasn’t stick thin and I certainly wasn’t the most technically perfect dancer. I brushed my dark brown hair into a loose ponytail and I walked over to Nick’s house. I knocked on the door and he answered. He was dressed in light grey sweat pants and a Harvard Hoodie.

 

“Geez, I didn’t know you were smart enough to get accepted into Harvard.”
“Very funny Emma, I got this off a friend of mine.  If I was to go to College I’d probably go to Julliard. You look very pretty by the way.”
“Thanks, you’re such a charmer. It’s midnight, there’s no way I can look pretty at midnight.”
“Want a bet?”

“No not really,” I smiled softly.

“Do you want something to eat?”
“No, I’m fine thanks.”

“If you’re on some stupid ballerina diet, break it for one night and pig out with me.”
“No, I’m not on a stupid ballerina diet I don’t like doing those. I prefer to look just the way I am. That’s what makes me unique as a dancer.”
“Well, do you want some chocolate ice cream? It’s yummy I promise.” Nick asked.
“Oh alright, but just a little bit.”

 

I went into the lounge room while Nick got some ice cream from the kitchen. The walls were covered in canvas photos of Nick and his band mates on stage. The expression on his face in all the photos was one of passion and love. Passion for his field and the love for his fans and music, I wanted that passion in my face when I danced. When I danced, I had a look of determination. I wanted a look of happiness and relaxation. No matter how hard I tried though, I could never get it.

 

“Em, here you go.” He said as he put his hand on the small of my back.
“Thanks Nick.” I smiled as he handed me the bowl.
We sat down on the black leather couch and Nick unpaused the movie he was watching. I looked at him as if to ask, “What are you watching?”
“Sixth Sense” he smiled.

“I hate scary movies.”
“Well, it’s an excuse for us to cuddle.”
I shot him a death stare and he laughed.

“Come on Em,” he smiled.

I sighed and moved closer to him on the couch. His phone vibrated in his pocket which was right next to my hip. He reached his hand into his pocket and pulled out his Nokia 3315.

“Who’s texting you at midnight?” I asked.
“It’s Brian, he’s having a Barbeque at his place tomorrow. Do you want to come with me?”
“Are you sure he’d be okay with me coming along?”
“Yeah of course! His wife Leighanne will be there, AJ, Howie and Kevin will be there too with their girlfriends. You’ll love them.”
“Do I have to bring anything?” I asked.
“Nope, just yourself and your togs.”
“Awesome, I have work from eight in the morning until two. What time is Brian’s?”

“Four. Do you want me to pick you up from work?”
“It’s alright, you don’t have to if you don’t want.”
“I’m not doing anything and I’d love to watch you dance for a bit. Can I sit in on your rehearsals?”
“Yeah you can if you want it’s nothing too exciting.”
“Rehearsals are always fun.”
“If you’re in a band it is. At work it’s strict and regimented and we practice every move until it’s technically perfect. There’s no room for error.”
“Do you ever feel like taking a day off?”
“All the time, but I can’t. I have to take me work with me, everywhere. If I stuff up a move, I have to work on it that night for hours until I perfect it.”
“Well just use tonight as a chance to relax.”

We snuggled and watched the rest of the movie and I eventually dozed off on Nick’s lap. I woke up later and Nick was sound asleep as well. I got up and went into the kitchen and made myself a cup of tea. I looked at the clock on the oven: 3am. It was way too early to be awake but I couldn’t go back to sleep. I went out the back of Nick’s house and sat on the balcony and watched the sunrise start to come over the tall buildings of New York City. The sun rises early in August and it’s always incredibly beautiful to watch.

 

I don’t know how long I sat there for, but I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around and Nick was standing there, in no shirt and a pair of boxers.

“What are you doing out here?” he asked.
“I woke up at three this morning and couldn’t sleep. What time is it?”
“Five. Have you been sitting out here for two hours?”
“I guess so.”
“Do you want a cup of coffee?”
“I had a cup of tea, I’m all good thanks lovely.”
“Alright, do you want to have a shower?”
“Oh I’m fine. I’ll go home soon and get ready for work.”
“You’re going to work on two hours of sleep?” he asked.
“It can’t hurt can it?”
“Dancing, with two hours sleep? Are you really sure that is a good idea?”
“I can’t exactly call in sick. It doesn’t work that way.”
“Have you ever called in sick?”
“No.”
“Exactly, just do it.”
“You will be the death of me Nickolas.”
“Live a little” he smiled.

“Alright, I’ll go home and shower then I’ll come back over,”
“Call your work too.”
“That’s my plan”

I gave Nick a kiss on the cheek and went back to my place. I walked in the door and Phil was sitting in the lounge room watching some movie.

 

“Morning Sweet Chili Philly.”

He glared at me.

“Oh come on you big girl,” I replied laughing.

“Where were you last night?”
“I stayed at Nick’s. Well more like I fell asleep at Nick’s.”
“Oh cool. How were rehearsals last night?”
“Remind me again why I am a ballerina?”

“Tough hey?”

“Very.”

“You know you don’t have to keep doing it if you don’t want to.”
“I don’t have anything to fall back on. I never finished high school remember?”
“You could go and get a diploma in Early Childhood from the TAFE.”
“That’s a good idea. I’ll see what happens. I’ll stick with Ballet for another six months and if I keep hating it I might do that. Anyway, I’m going to call work and say I’m not coming in because I only got two hours sleep last night.”
“Good idea.”
“I’m going over to Nick’s friend Brian’s house tonight for a Barbeque.”
“You’ll love Brian, he’s not quite as out there as Nick but he’s pretty close.”
“Like you?” I teased.

“No way! I’m crazier than Nick. Anyway I’ll let you go shower and call work.”

 

I went into the kitchen and got the walk about phone and took it into my room and sat on my bed and called my boss.

 

“Hello Joshua Grand speaking.”
“Hi Josh, it’s Emma Stefanovic.”
“Hi Em, how are you?”
“Not feeling too great. Would it be okay if I miss rehearsals today?”
“Of course, it was mainly ensemble  rehearsals anyway. I hope you’re feeling better.”
“Do I need to get a Doctors Certificate?”
“Have you never missed a rehearsal?”
“I have never missed a dance rehearsal since I started dancing when I was three.”
“Wow. No you don’t need a medical certificate.”
“Thanks Josh.”
“No problem. Rest up.”

 

I hung up and went and had a shower and changed into a pair of bike shorts and a black singlet and went into the kitchen and made myself cereal for breakfast. Xavier was now awake, dressed in his compression pants and a singlet.

 

“Xavier, seriously! Wear proper clothes.”
“You walk around in ballet gear.”
“Yeah but I normally have shorts over the top when I’m at home. I don’t want to see whatever is under there at six in the morning. I don’t want to burn my eyes off.”
“This is why I hate having a sister.”
“You love me.”

“You wish.” He teased “Why aren’t you dressed for work?”
“I’m not going. I got two hours sleep last night and I feel like crap.”
“Have you ever missed a day of dancing?”
“Nope, never.”
“Wow, first time for everything hey sis?”
“Yeah. I’m going to Nick’s friend’s house for a Barbeque later on.”
“So you and Nick are friends now hey? What changed that?”
“We had a bit of a chat yesterday. He’s really sweet actually.”
“He’s pretty awesome yeah.”
“What are you doing today?”
“I have training from 9 until 2 then I’m just cooling down at the pool.”
“Nice.”

 

When I finished breakfast, I went back into my room and put my head down on the pillow for a while to try and catch up on sleep. I thought I’d only sleep for an hour or so, but I woke up at three-thirty to a text from Nick.

 

Hey, you didn’t end up coming back over, are you okay xx

Hey, I had a sleep for a while. Well, for seven hours so I’m all ready for this afternoon. I’ll be over at yours in ten. Let me just shower and change.

Take your time, we’re in no rush.

 

I rolled out of bed and quickly sorted through my cupboard, trying to find a suitable pair of bikinis. I eventually picked a pair of black Billabong ones and a pair of green boardshorts. In a bag I packed a hoodie and a pair of jeans and a tee for after getting out of the pool and some undies of course. I showered once again, thinking in my head as the water ran over me, about Nick. Could this actually lead somewhere?

Chapter End Notes:

so there's chapter three! chapter four is in the works right now. I am seriously in love with the way this story is going. Trust me it will get more exciting. Sorry if this chapter is a bit of a filler. Please review though :) xx