- Text Size +
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There was nothing like being woken up at three A.M. on a Monday morning after a long weekend of partying. I wish who was ever at the door would just go away, but I had a feeling that wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. They had already been pounding on my door for twenty minutes.
Groggily, I pulled myself out of bed and slipped on my slippers. On the way out the door, I grabbed my robe and pulled it on. Didn’t want to give who ever was at the door a view (no matter how much of a nice view it was).
As I crossed the living room to get to the door, I hit the coffee table that I hit every morning. I keep meaning to move it, but haven’t gotten around to it just yet.
As I approached the door, the pounding got louder. I wasn’t really sure if it was from whoever was at the door or if it was due to my hangover. Hell with my luck, it would be a combination of the two. I pulled the door open just as the man raised his hand to knock again.
"Is there a really, I mean really good reason you’re pounding on my door at three A.M. on a Monday morning?" I asked.
"Are you Parker DeLange?" The man said.
"Who’s asking?" I returned; leaning on the open door. I really just wanted to go back to bed. Fuck this shit!
"I’m Detective Precision." The man said. "We have a few questions for you. Can we come in?"
"Can you come back when I’m not hung-over and have a clue as to what’s going on?" I said perturbedily. "I mean I’ve only been home for not even an hour and I had just gotten to sleep when you started pounding on my door."
"That's not my problem." Detective Precision said. "Now we can either come in and do it here or we can take it downtown. Your choice, but either way we are doing this tonight."
"You have to be fucking kidding me! What’s so important that you have to question me now?" I was really pissed off now.
"Do you know a Mr. Nick Carter?" He said; ignoring my question.
"No." I said. "I answered your question now can I go back to sleep?"
"No," He said, as his partner stayed remained quiet. He continued."I've asked you to make a choice and it's obvious you aren't going to cooperate so we're taking this downtown now."
"Why?" I said. "I have no idea who you’re talking about. All I want to do is go to bed and then get up for work in four hours. I don’t have time to go down to the station."
"Quite frankly Miss DeLange, that's not my problem. I will arrest you if you don't start taking this seriously ." He growled.
"On what grounds?" I said as I stood; my hands planted firmly on my hips. "I didn’t do anything wrong. You have no grounds for arresting me."
"You're hindering an investigation." He stated.
"You asked me one question, which I answered no to, and then I asked if I could go back to bed." I said. "How am I hindering your investigation?"
"You won’t answer my questions." He said. "Now turn around. I’m taking you in."
"Can I at least get dressed first?" I said.
"No. Come with us now and I won’t handcuff you."
"Fine." I said and stepped inside to grab my keys off the table next to the door where I had dropped them.
I pushed passed the damn cops on my porch and pulled the door shut behind me. I turned to lock it when he grabbed my arm.
"What are you doing?" He said.
"Locking my door." I looked at him confusedly. "What did you think I was doing?"
"Fine. Hurry." He said and let go of me.
I quickly locked my door and then dropped my keys in the pocket of my robe. It made me wonder if he would have let me go get dressed if I had just come down in my PJ's. I guess we’ll never find out now.
"Are you coming?" Detective Precision said; snapping me out of my thoughts.
"I guess I really have no choice do I?" I said.
Detective Precision didn’t say anything. Just grabbed my arm and pulled me down the steps. It really was gonna suck for him that I bruise easily. He was going to be sorry for messing with me.
The ride back to the police station was quiet. They most likely thought I didn’t have anything to say after being so vocal at the house. Too bad for them I was plotting and planning. It was a short ride, but I made it work.
Once Detective Precision parked the car, he pulled the key out of the ignition and got out. Walking over to my side, he pulled the door open. I swung my legs out of the car and let my robe to fall open; allowing the slight exposure of them. It was a brief look, but I caught him looking. I smiled to myself and then got out of the car; replacing my momentary joy with a sour look. God I was going to milk this for all it was worth!
"Let’s go." Detective Precision said and grabbed my arm again.
I didn’t say anything as he dragged me inside. The more he manhandled me, the more bruises I’d get. It would all work out in the end.
No one said anything as he dragged me past everyone in the squad room. He threw open the interrogation room door and pushed me inside the room. I huffed and sat down in the uncomfortable plastic chair they offered.
"You will answer all of my questions." Detective Precision said as he sat at the table across from me.
"I don’t have to do a damn thing." I returned. "I do have the right to remain silent."
"Fine. You can sit in here until you feel like talking." He said standing up so fast he knocked his chair over.
"Actually, you haven’t charged me with anything, so in reality I could get up and walk out of here and there’s not a damn thing you could do about it." I stated and crossed my arms over my chest.
He growled at me and stormed out of the room. Gee, I didn’t even have to try that time and pushed his buttons. That’s a new one.
About an hour later, a female cop entered the room and placed a bottle of water in front of me. I looked up at her and raised an eyebrow.
"Do you want anything else?" She said.
"I just want to go home and sleep his fucking hangover off," I said and rubbed my forehead. "But since that’s not an option right now, can I make a call?"
"Sure, but we have to make it quick," She said.
I stood up and followed her out of the room. She led me to a desk. I sat down and dialed Vikki’s number. She was going to be pissed that I was waking her up but she needed to know what was going on.
"Hello," A very groggy Vikki said answering her phone.
"Hey Lady," I said cheerily.
"Damnit Parker what do you want?" She said.
"I got arrested again." I said with a laugh. "Well not really since they haven’t charged me with anything yet, but they are holding me. I just wanted to call and say I won’t be in today."
"What?" She asked confused.
"I don’t know. I just know I have a hangover from hell." I said.
"Well did he say why they were holding you?" She asked.
"Something to do with a Mr. Nick Carter." I said ;hoping she’d get the hint I was leaving.
"Shit! You have got to be kidding me!" She said. She knew exactly what I was talking about.
"Nope." I said popping my ‘p’.
"Well I'll see what I can do." She said and sighed. "I’ll be down there around nine to get you out. Can you hang on that long?"
"Yeah sure, but can you stop by my place and get me some clothes?" I said.
"Please tell me you’re not naked." She begged.
I just knew she was rubbing her forehead.
"No, I’m in my PJ's and a robe." I said. "My silk one."
"Double shit!" She said. "I'll be there as soon as I can."
"Thanks." I said. "Have a good night."
"Oh sure." She said and hung up on me.
I hung the phone up and looked at the female cop. She gave me a sad smile.
Shrugging, I stood so she could take me back to the integration room. She opened the door and waved me through. She started to say something; I just shook my head and sat back down at the table waiting for Detective Precision to come back.
If he really thought making me sit here was going to make me talk, he really had another thing coming . He really had no idea who he was messing with.
Not even five minutes later Detective Precision walked back into the room. I just raised an eyebrow as he tossed a folder onto the table. I really wanted to bitch slap the smug smile off his damn face.
"It seems this isn't the first time you've been in trouble with the law." Detective Precision said sitting down.
"True, I've been arrested a few time but I've never been convicted of anything." I smiled and crossed my arms over my chest. "Now are you going to tell me why I am here?"
"Do you know this man?" He said as he shoved a picture of Nick in front of me.
"He looks vaguely familiar." I said; shrugging.
"You were with him Saturday night." He stated.
"I was with a lot of guys on Saturday." I said. "It was a party."
"Being sarcastic with me isn't going to help you at all." He said. "You were the last person seen with him."
"And?" I raised my brow.
"No one saw you reenter the club." He replied smugly.
"First of all, whatever he told you was a lie. We were never at a club but we did party."
"Where were you then?"
"I'm not answering anymore questions until you charge me with something and even then, I won't because I'll invoke my right to a lawyer." Take that you prick!