- Text Size +

    So the Backstreet Boys are my new project, my girlfriends are sure to get a kick out of this. I'm already getting flashbacks of our teen years; the mission it was to score tickets to their "Into the Millennium" show at Nassau Coliseum and how much my friend Kristy wouldn't stop crying of emotion when they performed "Back To Your Heart", she swore she would be Mrs. Alexander James McLean. We still give her shit for that AJ mural she had in her room, like it or not she will never live that down!

   As much as I loved the Backstreet Boys when I was younger, I completely fell out of touch with the music they were releasing. If this was going to work, I had to do my Backstreet Research and I'm not talking about digging through some old ass Tiger Beat issues, I wanted to see numbers-record sales, chart performances of the past few albums that I had no idea existed. This was going to be a challenge but I'm prepared to get it done and have those guys back on mainstream.

   Sitting in my office finishing up my last bit of work, I was waiting on Christina to come back with some things I needed for this project. I wanted to get the press kits of the group to have a look on what I'll be working with. Once I got them, I was off to my home. My bestfriend Tessa, was supposed to come over for some drinks and a little dinner. I can only imagine what her reaction is gonna be once I tell her what the hell I just got myself into.

    It was 7 o'clock and this bitch still wasn't here! I was too hungry to wait for her that I was just gonna order some take out and work on this "project". As soon as I picked up the phone to call and place my order I heard a loud knock on the door. "Alyssa open up!" i heard someone yell. That was definitely Tess, loud as always. I headed for the door and opened it to see Tessa standing there with a bag of some Chinese take out. "I know I'm super late and you probably wanna kill me but I was caught up in a meeting and my cellphone totally died so I couldn't reach you.  I got us some food on my way over" she offered. "You're lucky I love you, come in" I teased. Tessa made her way in and we headed straight to the kitchen, the smell of lo mein was making this hunger worse. We immediately dug in. "So I have something to tell you" I started, I wasn't sure how she was gonna take the news of my new venture. 

 

Tessa always wanted the best for me, she was truly like a sister to me. We met our freshman year in college and instantly clicked. While I went on to work for the music business she decided that Journalism was her calling. Regardless of the paths we both lead, I knew that her opinion mattered alot to me. "You're not pregnant are you?!" she exclaimed nearly choking on her food. "No you idiot I'm not pregnant!" I laughed at her reaction "I was offered a new artist to work with". "who?" she asked "well do you remember the  Backstreet Boys?" I asked. "Of course I do, I actually went to times square that day they were on with Carson Daly, when they shut down times square. My mom was being such a bitch and didn't wanna take me, I had to beg on of my older cousins to take me, probably one my most teenybopper moments that I will never live down. But yeah anyways what about them?" she asked, suddenly really interested in what I was about to tell her. "They left their label, Jive and now they're with Universal and they want me to help with the transition and to help out for the first album they would be releasing under our label"

 

"Impressive, look at you doing big things. Honestly I didn't know they were even around anymore, I know Kevin left the group but after that I don't think I heard anything about them." Tessa replied. She seemed excited for me which was a good sign. This was the first time I'd be working  with artists with such credentials as the Backstreet Boys. Sure their music doesnt get played anymore but that's all gonna change and besides who has sold 5 million records in a week after these guys broke that record.These guys had something special. I filled Tessa in on my need to do some research, she suggested we started right away. I grabbed a bottle of wine and poured us a glass and went straight to the computer. We decided to watch some music videos, some of which were nostalgic while others were new to us. We were watching "Straight Through My Heart" which had a catchy melody but a mediocre video concept. "Holy shit Nick Carter looks good, fucking amazing, I'm already hating on you" Tessa playfully hitting my arm. "I'll be sure to tell your fiancé that you're secretly fantasizing about boning Nick Carter" I joked. 

 

Tessa laughed and looked down at her engagement ring, the ring was amazing.Tessa was to be married next year to James, an Architect she met while in Chicago for Writing assignment. In a way I envied her, she met someone who complimented in every way possible, she seemed to have everything falling into place while I in the other hand had a few casual boyfriends and a failed serious relationship under my roster. I channeled my energy towards work which keeps me busy and I don't have to deal with the douche-bags New York has to offer. 

 

We sat by the computer for hours catching up on all the years we missed out on. We even sang "I want it that way" which I blame the wine for allowing us to indulge in such obnoxious behavior. "So when are you meeting with them?"  "David asked if I would be able to clear my schedule for the end of the week so I can fly out to Los Angeles for two days, just to briefly meet the guys as well as their manager, plus I have a few meetings to attend at the Universal location in Santa Monica" I answered, making a mental note that I needed to make a quick shopping trip for this trip, first impressions are lasting impressions and I wanted this to turn out great."Well I'm very proud of you. I think this will be great for your career as well your life, plus any chance of getting me a ticket to a backstreet show sounds like a deal to me" I laughed at her request "Thanks Tess, it means alot". I was about to begin a new chapter that hopefully brings success to both the group as well as myself. Now I only need to get through this meeting with the boys. Wish me luck...