- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen

Nick

Brian had really disappointed me. Here I was thinking he was going to come with me and help me pick out the perfect ring and he goes and picks out a Wal-mart special. I knew it was all up to me after that point. The blue Alaskan diamond, 2 car--er, karats in all, set in a brillant Cleopatra-eat-your-heart-out gold band was nestled safely in the silk white case in my pocket as Brian and I walked up the walk towards Heather's parents. Well, I should say I walked. Brian was doing the mummy shuffle.

"I can't believe you," I added for good measure. "Of all people to shy away from huge ass rocks, I wouldn't think it would be you."

Brian scowled. "I've come to learn that size doesn't matter."

I turned, a doubtful grin spreading across my face. "Size always matters," I said seriously. I reached up and tapped my knuckle against the door.

It took a couple seconds, but Heather opened the door. Her eyes widened and I knew I was going to get a total girlish freakout about the ring. In fact, I was reaching into my pocket when her mouth opened.

"Hey Bri," Heather said gently. "Momma's makin' lunch. You wanna stay?"

"Sure kiddo," Bri said quietly. He looked over at me. I looked at him. Then I looked at Heather and clapped my hands.

"Who wants a ring?" I said loudly. Her eyes widened.

"You've got it?" She sounded surprised.

"Of course. I told you it would be in today, didn't I?"

"Well, yes...but..."

"Is that Nick? Does he have the ring?"

Suddenly Marietta peeked around Heather, her face breaking into a grin. "Girl, let your fiancee in! This is the moment I've been waiting for!"

Well, at least someone was excited. Heather stepped back, still clinging to the door. I walked in, brandishing the box like it was my sword.

"Ta-da!"

Like a repeat of last night, I knelt down on one knee as soon as I got in the doorway. Brian was still hovering outside, almost looking like he would bolt at any moment. Heather's chest rose and fell; it was at least good to know I could still get her breathing heavy somehow.

"I designed this with you in mind," I said seriously. "I can't wait to marry you."

With those poetic words said, I opened the box...

And waited for the tears of joy.

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *


Heather

"I can't wait to marry you."

With flourish, Nick sprang the lid open on the white ring box. I stopped hyperventalating. I stopped breathing.

The ring nestled in the box was hideous. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure other girls would love it. It's just that I couldn't imagine sitting at a couple and typing with that monstrosity on my hand. I couldn't imagine reeling in a trout from the creek with the reflection from the stone blinding me in my eyes. Besides, every piece of jewelry I owned was white gold, platnium, or cheap Claire's Boutique faux-silver. I had a dislike of gold.

But I had to be happy. Nick was waiting for it.

"Oh...it's..." C'mon, Heather. "big. And...lovely."

"Nick," mom gasped. "That must have cost--"

"Nothing is too good for my Heath Bar," Nick said proudly. He plucked the ring out of the box and held it out towards my hand.

"Heather, where's your head, girl? Hold out your hand!" mom chastised.

God, mom, I thought. If you're so excited, why don't you marry him?

I immediately felt guilty. Mom was happy, but she was happy for me. I was getting married. It had been my dream and she just wanted to witness my dream come true.

With that pep talk in mind, I thrust out my hand. Nick grabbed my hand and began to push it on.

"Wrong finger," Brian said under his breath. I looked over at him. He gave me a smile. "He's new at this," he drawled. I couldn't help it. I laughed.

"He needs your help."

"Does he?"

The question threw tension back into the air. Nick finally grabbed the right finger and slipped it on. He let go and I lifted my hand with new effort. The rock glistened back.

"Wait! Hold it!" Nick cried. He grabbed my hand and turned it around so that it was facing him. He took out his phone.

"Smile for ze world!"

Oh, crap. I knew that look. He was going to tweet. In less than five minutes, all of the crazy Carter fans were going to know he was engaged.

My rank on the hitlist was going to skyrocket. I let loose a watery smile.

"Perfect!" he cried. I heard the click of his IPhone and then it was practically at his face, his fingers flying. He was one of those weird contradictions: drop-dead gorgeous and incredibly technologically nerdy.

"Someday you're gonna have to show me how to get my pictures right side up," Bri said. I laughed. Brian's Twitpics were my favorite. I usually had to turn my laptop completely upside down to see what he was so excited about. It was adorable...end earing...

"Sweetheart..." mom cooed. Suddenly she had a hold of my hand. "Now we can officially think about the wedding. I can't wait to hear what you--"

"Oh, yeah!" Nick said. His head sprung up. "I was thinking we should just take the plunge. What about August?"

I choked. "A-August?"

"Yeah, we have four days between our last U.S. date and the Canada dates. Why not August 2?"

"That's a Tuesday," Brian argued. Nick looked at him and rolled his eyes.

"So? It'll throw the fans off our trail."

"But that's less than three months away. I can't--"

Frantic images of Italy floated through my mind. My white dress...the sand...Brian barefoot in a suit jacket and jeans...

Wait. BRIAN?

"I'm sure you and your mom can pull it off. We'll have a nice outdoor Kentucky wedding," Nick said. "That way you're family won't have to travel."

"I know just the place!" mom said happily. "Y'know the Chateau Chardonnay right outside of Lexington? Oh honey, that would be so beautiful..."

"What did you have in mind kiddo?"

The question came from the still open doorway. Bri was looking at me, his eyes soft and...and...

"She wants to marry me. That's all that matters, right babe?"

Nick had scrambled to his feet. He hovered over me, looping his long arms around my waist. He swayed me side to side, his chin pressing into the top of my head. "Cause we're in LUVVVVVVV."

Bri didn't answer him. He continued to look at me.

"Heath?"

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *




Brian

Heather looked like she would’ve fallen over if Nick hadn’t been clutching her like she was some kind of pocketbook dog. He rattled her side to side and she clung to his arm like that safety bar on the rides at the county fair, her eyes pooling. Uhoh. I knew that look. I’d seen that look tons of times when I was a kid. Notoriously after she’d come parading out the back door to the tree house, knocking on the wood and calling up to Chris and I if we’d like to have pink lemonade from her tea pot and play ”Malopoly.” She always got that half-way to tears, eyes wider than her pupils were round, glistening but pretending to smile look on her face. Just like she had now.

She gasped for breath, “Anything, anything is perfect. I love August. The Chardonnay sounds great. I gotta go take a shower.” She pushed her way out of Nick’s arms and bolted for the stairs like she was a race horse let free at the Kentucky Derby. She thundered up the stairs, her right hand clutching her left like she had to hold up that monstrous rock Nick had bought her, and disappeared.

Marietta grabbed Nick’s arm and tugged him closer, “Oh good God, Nick, you’re such a gentleman,” Marietta crooned, squeezing Nick, who grinned happily into Marietta’s breasts, and pet her future son-in-law’s head. I stood awkwardly on the porch still.

Suddenly, Chris came around the corner. His eyes landed on Nick. “Did you bring it?” he demanded, voice less than polite, seeing Heather wasn’t there.

Nick turned and looked at Chris, “Dude, of course I brought it.”

“Where is it?” Chris looked around like he expected a rock the size of a llama to be standing around.

“Heather’s got it on her hand, du—duuhhh,” Nick said. He’d been about to say dumbass but saved himself just in time. I couldn’t even fathom the bloodshed that would’ve occurred if he’d let it slip. I sunk behind the door jamb and leaned against the outside of the house as Marietta started gushing about the ring, telling Chris about it.

Then I heard Nick’s voice, “Chris, you should be one of my best men, too.”

I peeked around the door. “Say what?” I asked.

Nick blushed. “Well I was just thinking… You had like 14 best men at your wedding. I should have a couple, too, and Chris… Chris is a great friend of mine, I just think maybe he—you—would ---“ he let his words fall away.

Chris raised an eyebrow at Nick. “Don’t bother kissing my ass,” he said quietly, “I’m not stupid. I know what kind of prick you are.”

CHRISTOPHER!” Marietta looked horrified as Chris shrugged and slipped out the door. “We don’t speak to people like that, any people and Nick’s practically family and –“ she pointed at me, “Why can’t you be more respectful, like Brian?”

Chris shrugged.

“Why’s everyone want everyone else to be like Brian lately?” Nick laughed, “It’s not like he’s the best moral compass these days, huh, Cassanova?” Nick winked.

Marietta looked at me, “What?” She looked at Nick. “What’s going on?”

I laughed, a forced, hard laugh that caught in my throat and hurt my neck somehow. I punched Nick’s arm in a seemingly playful way, but way too hard to be a game. Nick rubbed his shoulder and looked at me through squinting eyes. “It’s just Nick,” I said casually, “Being Nick.”

Nick forced a smile.

And it was right there that I knew I’d started something.

Chris broke the weird tension that hung between Nick and I first by stating, “Well thanks for the offer anyways, Nick, but I’d rather sit this one out.” He glanced at me, “Can I talk to you?”

I didn’t know who was scarier. Nick or Chris.

Reluctantly, I followed Chris down the walkway toward his car as Marietta chattered out that she and Nick would be more than happy to watch Tessa for Chris, and Chris guided me to his car. Nick was glowering across the lawn at me as Marietta disappeared to go get her granddaughter. Chris waved to Nick as we drove away.