- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty One

Nick

"I'm sorry sir, someone has purchased that ring."

"What? No way. That's impossible. The ring I'm talking about--"

"Yes sir," the woman's voice was polite. "I know which one you're talkin about. It's been sold."

"Who bought it?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed--"

"What did he looked like?"

"It was one of our Internet orders."

I exhaled. Heather had been more than happy to give me the rock to send back. Now I was scrambling like a madman to give her the perfect replacement.

"Do you have one like it?"

"I'm sorry, but that was a one of a kind piece."

I snorted. "For five thousand dollars?"

"The designer keeps his rings low. He believes anyone who buys one of his pieces is in true love."

"The designer sounds loopier than Richard Simmons," I muttered. "Listen, I just need one in that similar smile. Small, simple. Incapable of causing wounds."

"I think I have something that just came in," the lady said. "I can send it to you overnight. May I have your location?"

I glanced out the window. It was the morning of the big Fenway show.

"Send it to the IZOD Center in East Rutherford," I said. "I'll be there tomorrow."

"Absolutely, Mr. Carter. I think you'll be pleased."

"Thanks," I said. I gave out my credit card information and ended the call. I stared out the bus window and grimaced.

Brian had picked up Baylee in the wee hours of the morning. I was hoping he would be engaged in some father/son bonding time. And he was...

But they weren't alone.

The sun shone on Heather's blonde ponytail as she got into perfect aiming position. Baylee was in full-on open mouth laugh mode as he tackled her legs. Heather made an exaggerated jerking motion, but she still made the basket. Brian came up, hand aloft and they high-fived. Their fingers intertwined for just a second before Bri scooped the ball off and the three of them were back in the game.

After the whole letter incident, it had taken a couple days for the two of them to get back in 'friend' mode. Brian was taking a little longer to warm up to me, but I had rehired him for best man duties. Heather and I had talked late into the night after I had set in place the wheels that had put the two of them firmly back in friends territory. Heath had poured her guts out to me about everything that had been bugging her. Some things I couldn't fix (like sleeping with Lauren), but other things like moving the wedding back to the Fall I could do.

We'd officially become Mr. and Mrs. October 28, three days before Halloween.

"Psst."

I turned. AJ had his head hanging out of the bathroom. "Can you go somewhere for a bit?"

"What?"

"Go somewhere?"

Ro's face peeked out under his arm. "I've got to fly back tonight," she explained.

I got the message. I grinned and picked up my wallet. My plan to keep wooing Heather required a trip to the flower shop anyhow. A dozen roses waiting for her in the owner's booth at Fenway certainly wouldn't hurt.

"Alright. Have fun. Wrap it up, J!"

I didn't hear his response. I opened the door and hopped down. Sure enough, Baylee was chattering a mile a minute and the constant 'thump thump' of the basketball filled the air. I hovered for a second, watching as Bri and Heather both let Baylee line up and make a basket.

They look like a family, I thought. I shook my head.

"No way," I muttered under my breath. "Not gonna happen.

Mentally upping my order to two dozen roses, I swung around the front of the bus and headed in the direction of a golf cart. I was sure I could find another geeky intern to take me around.

Fame certainly had its perks.

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *


Heather

"One more game!"

"Buddy," Brian gasped, yanking at his sticky shirt. "If we play one more game, you're gonna be picking your ol' dad up off the ground."

The wind flung Baylee's hair into his face, but it only caused the adorable little mini-Bri to grin more. "Aww, c'mon dad! Heather's not tired. Are you?"

He lifted his eyes to mine and jutted out his lower lip. I melted.

"Well, I..."

"If we play another game, we won't have time for ice cream," Bri said. He caught my eye and he winked.

'Ice cream' was the magic word. Baylee dropped the ball and it rolled, coming to a stop right at the toe of my sneaker. "What are we waiting for?" he cried, ripping off his yellow Lakers jersey. I started to laugh.

"Boy, you're in the presence of a lady!" Brian said, his shoulders already shaking with laughter.

"It's Heather!" Baylee complained. "Besides I'm all sweaty!"

"Aw kiddo, don't listen to your dad. It's just cause you've got more muscle than he does," I teased. "He's jealous." Bay's eyes danced in amusement. I felt Bri's eyes on me.

"Is that a challenge?"

My heart pounding. Was it?

After days of giving myself mental pep talks and diving into my story to escape from my own reality, I had emerged, kinda like a butterfly, ready to be the best buddy I could be. Even if I was a buddy that kinda wanted to see him shirtless.

"You don't have the guts. I haven't seen you without a shirt since '99," I taunted.

"It's cause of his scar," Baylee said. "But dad, don't be a chicken!"

I guess it might have had something to do with his eight-year-old calling him a chicken, but Bri grabbed the bottom of his jersey and ripped it off.

My breath left my lungs.

The tour had left him lean and muscular. The scar that he always complained about was barely visible. If I hadn't been there for his surgery, I would never have realized he had ever had his chest cracked open. He let out a Tarzan yell, beating his chest and staring right at me, gauging my reaction.

If I had been like Holly in my story, I would have pushed him up against the basketball pole and kissed him until he forgot his name. Unfortunately, his son was watching...

And I was just his buddy. A buddy that had just lost the challenge.

"I guess ice cream's on me!" I said, pushing enthusiasm into my voice. "Not bad, Littrell."

Bri's fists dropped. His hands curled around his hips. "I do what I can." He glanced at Baylee. "Hey buddy, run ahead and jump in the shower. We'll get some ice cream before we hit the park."

"Okay!" Bay shouted. His large sneakers, just miniature versions of Brian's, hit the blacktop. He bounded back on the bus. Bri picked his shirt up off the scorching ground.

"I'm glad he was able to come out here," I said. Bri tossed the shirt over his shoulder, seemingly in no hurry to put it back on. Little drips of sweat fell from his neck down his back. I was practically mesmerized.

"Leighanne and I are working it out," he said. "Now that the shock has kinda died away..."

"I still can't believe it," I said honestly.

"Me either, but at least now that the air has cleared we can talk like adults."

I nodded. "Has Baylee met...?"

"Heather?" Brian said. His grin widened at my shocked look. "Yeah, her name's Heather."

"Hunh," I said. I didn't know what else to say.

"Once. We're easing into it. It's not a simple thing to sit your kid down and explain...well, that."

"He's a smart kid, though," I said. "And someday soon I'm sure he'll have to get used to you having someone else around."

Bri stopped. "Me?"

I turned to him. He looked surprised.

"Now that the fans now, I think you're hotter than Nick," I teased, even as my heart squeezed. "I'm sure Miss Right will end up right in front of your nose..."

"As big as it is," I added, pressing my thumb to it lovingly.

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *


Brian

Miss Right was pressing my nose.

I stared at her thumb down the length of my nose, my eyes all crossed and my focus on her fingernail. I felt my throat get hot and scratchy. How in the world could she know what she knew about how I felt and feel so comfortable talking like this to me? She was a braver woman than I.

Er.

You know what I mean.

I grabbed hold of my shirt, laughed and turned to pull it over my head, giving me time to sucker in some breath for composure. I tugged it down and tucked it back into my pants, keeping my profile to her. “Do you uh want to go with us to get the ice cream?” I asked, “There’s a place around the corner that makes the ice cream right there, they like mix in the toppings you want and stuff. It sounds pretty great. You can literally get any kind you want. Baylee got coconut crunch bar strawberry swirl last time. I mean literally any flavor.”

Heather smiled, “Nick’s probably wanting to go out.”

“Right.” I nodded. I scooped up the basketball and my eyes landed on her teal Converse sneakers for the first time. Sure we’d been playing together but who notices other people sneakers? I stood up and pointed to the sneakers. “Your wedding sneakers?”

Heather laughed. She looked at her feet and wiggled them around. “Yeah,” she said. She looked me in the eyes. “Nick bought me a pair of really pretty heels for the wedding,” she explained, “Jimmy Choo.” She smiled, “I figured I might as well break in my sneakers.”

The thought of Heather breaking in her wedding sneakers made me melancholy. I forced a smile at her. “At least you get to wear them.”

Heather smiled, “Playing ball with my best friend.”

Baylee suddenly bounded back off the bus, hair soaked and smelling only faintly like shampoo. “Okay let’s go.”

I laughed, “No way are you all the way clean,” I said.

“Yup, all the way,” he said.

“Did you do behind your ears?” I asked. Baylee opened his mouth to answer and I added, “Don’t lie, I can tell the truth.”

He stared at me defiantly a moment, then finally he groaned, “Okay fine. I’ll be right back.” He disappeared back onto the bus.

Heather laughed as Baylee disappeared back onto the bus. I sighed. “Well, have fun with Nick,” I said and I started walking away.

“Brian?”

I turned and looked at Heather. She stared at me. There was a long, pregnant pause in which I envisioned her telling me that she’d changed her mind about us… but then she tapped her nose and said, “She’ll show up.”

I nodded. “Yeah.” I smiled, “Right in front of my nose.”