- Text Size +

Damen looked out the window silently. He hoped that what he just did was the right thing. Finding and meeting Nick was great at first. But then he remembered everything he left behind. His mom, Grandparents, friends, and his job. All of it, for the chance of meeting the man that was his father. But was it worth it? For the two weeks he spent there, yes. But not if he stayed longer. Everything else in his life meant too much to him to leave it all behind.

            He turned away from the window and looked around. Standing over by the vending machines were his two best friends, Nat and Ethan. Ethan had a bag of chips and Damen was pretty sure he somehow stole it from one of the machines. Like he always did. He walked over to them and took some of the chips.

"Hey!" Ethan protested as Damen ate the chips. "I worked hard for those."

"Really?"

"Yea. Do you know how hard it is to get your arm in those machines?"

            Damen and Nat started laughing as they walked towards the exit.

"So dude, like where do you go?" Nat asked.

"To Florida."

"Why?"

            Damen shrugged. He pulled Ethan out of the driver's seat and pushed him to the back.

"I'm back now. You can't drive my car anymore."

            When Damen got in and started his car he locked the doors. Nat laughed as Ethan tried to open the back door.

"Dude, what the hell?" Ethan said as he kicked the car.

            Damen laughed as he unlocked the car. As soon as Ethan was inside he drove off. The first place he went to was Ethan's house.

"Get out. Before your dad comes out."

"Why?"

"Knowing your dad he'll ask to see Damen's driver's licenses and then arrest him for it being a fake." Nat said.

"Why would he do that?" Ethan asked confused.

"Dude, your dad's a cop."

"Oh yea."
Damen shook his head as he drove off. He started towards Nat's house when Nat stopped him.

"Dude could you take me to Friday's instead? I was supposed to meet my family there ten minutes ago."

"Alright."

            It took them five minutes to get to Friday's. When they did Nat got out and gave Damen a half wave. Damen rolled down his window.

"Dude could you get me like a steak or something?" He yelled.

Nat turned around. "Sure I'll bring it by tomorrow."

            Damen nodded and drove off.

 

            When Damen turned onto his street he silently prayed that nobody but his mom would be at their house. As he got closer he saw a beat up black pick-up truck in the driveway. He was tempted to turn around and go some where's else. He didn't though. He had to at least see his mom first.

            Damen walked into the house and saw a guy standing by the counter. He didn't look that big but Damen learned long ago that didn't mean the guy couldn't hurt him. He was going to walk right past the guy when he grabbed Damen's arm, tightly.

"Who the hell are you?"

            It came out almost like a growl.

"I should be asking you that. ‘Cause I like live here and you like don't."

            The guy frowned at Damen before hitting him in the face. Damen staggered a little but didn't fall. He could already feel the hot blood coming from his nose.

"You better respect me boy." He said to Damen before yelling, "Jess! You didn't say nothing about a boy!"

            Damen heard a door open and seconds later he saw his mom coming down the hall towards him. Her light brown hair was a mess. But the smile on her face was beautiful.

"Damen you're back from camp!"

            She came over and hugged him, reminding him of the lie he told at the same time. She pulled back and looked at him.

"You're bleeding."

"Yea," he shrugged. "Accidently hit my nose."

"Oh!" She walked away to grab a rag to soak up the blood. "I kept my promise."

"Really?"

"Yep. I haven't used drugs all summer and only drank once."

            Damen smiled. He also noticed that for the first time in a long time her eyes were sparkling. He heard the guy say something about leaving and calling later as he walked out the door. But Damen didn't care. He didn't think his mom cared either.

Chapter End Notes:

You guys are amazing! Thanks for reading :)