- Text Size +

"Why are you still here?"
            Nick looked up and saw Damen standing in front of him. It had been five months since the funeral.

"What?"

"Why are you still here? We don't need you. And don't you have a job or something?"
            Nick was about to respond but then Jess walked in.

"Damen! What the hell has gotten into you? Why are you acting like this all the time?"

            Damen turned away. He couldn't tell his mom what was wrong. He walked outside and to the swing. He was surprised to see Nick standing in front of him when he looked up.

"What do you want?"

"You asked why I'm still here. It's because I love your mom."

"Great. You can leave now."

            Nick didn't listen to him. Instead he sat down on the swing next to him.

"I lost my grandpa too."

"When?" He asked softly.

"About 7 years ago. Like you I was closer with him than I was with my own parents."

"Why?"

"It's hard to explain. But if you ever are forced to meet them you'll know why."

            Damen kicked at the ground.

"What did you do?" He asked Nick.

"Played a lot of video games and talked to my family and friends."

"Okay....are you going to yell at me?"

"Do I look like that kind of person?"

            Damen looked at him.

"Nah you look like someone who needs to lose a few pounds."

            Nick laughed and pushed Damen down into the snow. Damen laughed as well and threw some snow at Nick's face. It wasn't long before they were in a snowball fight.

            Jess watched them through the window and smiled. She didn't know what her son was going through but it looked like Nick might be able to help him.

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know please!