- Text Size +

Damen woke up the next morning to the sunlight and the smell of bacon cooking. He sat up in the bed and tried to tell himself that he didn't want any food. After his stomach growled four times he gave up. He stood up and walked into the bathroom dragging his backpack with him. He stopped in front of the mirror. Set his backpack down on the counter. He dug through it until he found what he wanted. He looked up at his reflection and smirked.

"I think it's time to mess with Nick." He whispered to himself.

 

            Nick was in the kitchen taking the bacon off the burner when Damen walked in. He turned around to say ‘hi' but stopped. It looked like Damen had on blue, sparkled eyeliner.

"Hey Nick!" Damen said brightly.

"Hi..." He answered slowly. "You okay?"

"Yep. I've never felt better....that's bacon."

            He pointed to the pan Nick was holding. Nick saw that his finer nails had the same blue, sparkled look. He was acting way different from yesterday as well. Yesterday he barley smiled now he was all happy.

"Yea...I made you some French toast and bacon for breakfast. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I told you I'm fine. Last night I just needed sleep. And I got it. Thanks for breakfast."

            Nick just nodded as he poured himself some coffee before sitting down.

"So Nick, can we go get that stuff today? I would go by myself but I don't know where anything is."

"Um... actually I have to record some songs today. But I'm free Friday."

"Alright.....Does that mean I'm here alone all day?"

            Nick nodded again, worried about what might happen that day, as he looked at Damen's face. His eyes showed no emotion but he had a smile on his face.

"Are your eyes really red?" He asked.

"Unfortunately no they're not. These are colored contacts."

"Then what's their real color?"

"I don't show or tell anyone that. The only people who know is me and my Grandparents."

"Oh. I was just wondering because...." He stopped. He didn't want to hurt Damen's feelings.

"Because they're weird?"

"Yea..."

"I know that. Why do think I got them instead of normal contacts?"

Nick shrugged and continued eating.

 

            After they were both done Nick cleaned up the table while Damen looked through the fridge.

"Are you still hungry?"

"No. I'm just looking at what you have."

"And...?"

"And if I'm going to live here you need to get some new food in this fridge."

            Nick walked over to him and looked down.

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, there's no regular coke, cherries, coco puffs, chocolate milk, or cake. What am I supposed to eat?"

Nick chuckled, "Well we can get more food on Friday too."

"Fine I guess I can live until then."

            Nick walked away and put the rest of the dishes into the dishwasher and turned it on. He turned around to tell Damen he was leaving but the room was empty. He wrote a note instead and grabbed his keys.

 

            Damen was up in his room laughing when Nick left. He loved the shocked look on Nick's face when he had walked into the kitchen earlier. He knew taking Rachel's make up would be good for something.

            He looked at the clock after he stopped laughing. It was only noon. That meant he still had a ton of time before Nick was back. He left his room and walked over to Nick's. The door was shut. He knew he shouldn't be going into Nick's room. But he was curious. He opened the door and walked in. The room was a mess. There were clothes and papers all over and the blankets from the bed were bundled up at the bottom of the bed. He saw the dog that bit him last night on the bed. He backed out of the room and closed the door again, wanting nothing to do with that dog.

            Damen walked downstairs and entered the room with the TV. In the corner of the room he saw an acoustic guitar. He walked over and picked it up. As he sat down on a couch he started strumming a song that was stuck in his head. After a while he stopped. Then he started again from the beginning, singing along.

 

She stares at the moon - Her ribbons out of tune - Memories of the past - At the bottom of her glass - And resting on her cheek - The imprint of his ring - A symbol of the weak - Commissioned by the king - Did he tie you down? - Did you make a sound?

She falls to her knees - Screaming God please - Make something of me - ‘Cause I never wanted anything like what I wanna be right now - An angel again - An angel again - Somehow

She remembers his old boots - And the shot gun that he shoots - And all that she could take - Lies at the bottom of a lake - So lift your cig and drag - As you figure out a plan - To hide it all away - How could she ever love this man? - Did you weigh him down? - Did he make a sound?

She falls to her knees - Screaming God please - Make something of me - ‘Cause I never wanted anything like what I wanna be right now - An angel again - An angel again - Somehow

And when you carry weight in your life (life) - And all the plans you make in your life (life) - The original decision was right

She falls to her knees - Screaming God please - Make something of me - ‘Cause I never wanted anything like what I wanna be right now - An angel again - An angel again - An angel again - An angel again - Somehow - Somehow yeah....

 

            Once he was doe playing the song Damen put the guitar back where he found it and turned on the TV.

Chapter End Notes:

Song used: Somehow - Drake Bell