- Text Size +

Watching my mother interact with Kevin and AJ was a brilliant thing.  She was always a hoot and I loved watching her talk to people but there was something special about watching her with Kevin and AJ.  Of course the fact that I had one serious crush on Kevin probably had something to do with my glee.  Every time I looked at the man my heart leapt in my chest and my hormones did cartwheels.    So much for trying to be the ultimate single woman… one look at Kevin and I suddenly began to wonder if I’d had a concussion long before I met him which caused me to give up men. 

“Dude, you’re doing it again…” Christian told me with a giggle.

I rolled my eyes and shoved him, “Bite me…” 

“That’s Kevin’s job…” he said and shielded himself from the smack he knew was coming.

I sighed, “It’s not too late to un-invite you to this sleep over.”

“Oh please, you know you’d never kick me out.  Plus, I’m just pointing out the obvious…”

“And that’s precisely what’s ticking me off…” I said and couldn’t help but laugh.  Christian had been pointing out to me all afternoon every time that he caught me looking at Kevin with what he called my “Love Eyes.”  Apparently when I looked at Kevin my eyes got this special look to them and Christian couldn’t resist picking on me about it.  I knew it was all in good fun, but it was still a bit of a pain in the ass.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and gave me a sideway hug, “You know I only tease you because I love you so much… And honestly, it’s so damn cool to see you gone completely ga-ga over someone for a change.  I missed this version of you… it’s been a long damn time since Happy Flirty Lusty Kel has made a visit.”

I wrapped my arm around his waist and leaned my head on his shoulder, “Yeah…”

“Just yeah?  What, no more whining?”

“Not yet…” I said and chuckled.  Truth was, I was enjoying having Happy Flirty Lusty Kel around again too.  I was also enjoying the view as Kevin sat on my deck next to my mother smiling and laughing along with her as AJ told a very animated story about something or another.  I’d gone into the house to get us a refill on our drinks and one glimpse out of the kitchen window had stopped me in my tracks for another round of Kevin Watching, which of course Christian walked in on. 

I pulled my eyes away from Kevin and looked at Christian and whispered, “How fucking hot is he?”

Christian cackled which made me giggle and he hugged me tight, “Very, very fucking hot.”

I nodded as we broke our hug and tried to keep my eyes from looking out the window again, “AJ is adorable too… I think Mama has a crush…”

He smiled and refilled our glasses with wine, “Yes he is, and yes she does.  He’s about the right age for her…”

We both laughed.  My mother, bless her heart, had a habit of dating men who were a whole lot younger than she was but instead of it being gross, she somehow made it work.  She was totally digging AJ too.  I couldn’t blame her though, he really was adorable.  Funny, talented, sexy, well built, and tattooed… there wasn’t a whole lot we could find wrong with him.  “I suppose maybe we should warn him, huh?”

“Nah… it’ll be more fun to watch him squirm…” Christian said and giggled.   He looked out of the window and nearly spit out the swig of wine he had in his mouth, “Shit… she’s reading Kevin’s palm.”

“What?” I said and rushed to the window to see.  Indeed she’d begun looking at Kevin’s palm without Christian and me there to listen.  I pushed at Christian, “Go, go!”

We joined the rest of the group on the deck giggling like fools and I grabbed my spot next to Kevin.  My mom looked up from his palm to me and I gave her a look that said, ‘what the hell?’ and without a beat she smiled at me and then looked back to Kevin’s palm.  I put Kevin’s refilled glass off to the side of his upturned hands on the table and he smiled at me, “Should I be worried about this?”

I shook my head, “Heck no… she’s really good.”

“Now… I should mention that I really don’t know much about you so whatever I tell you is what I see in your hands or what I feel when I’m reading you.”

AJ laughed from where he was leaning against the side of the deck smoking, “Yeah right… she probably Googled you before you got here.”

I chuckled, “Not a chance…”

“She hasn’t taught me how to Google yet…” my mom said and she was totally serious.  She barely knew how to send an e-mail let alone do a search for someone online for information.  “Now hush you…” she said to AJ with a big grin.  He nodded with his own grin and saluted her with his cigarette. 

We all sat by silently while she ran her fingers over Kevin’s hands.  Although I never claimed to know as much about palmistry as my mom, I knew a few tricks of the trade and yeah I admit I checked out Kevin’s hands before to see what I could read in them.  My mom was much more practiced in the skill though and I was eager to hear what she saw in addition to what I’d seen.  After a moment she looked up at Kevin and smiled, “You have very strong lines… It means you have a strong presence.”

“That’s true…” AJ said and giggled as we all shushed him.

“You were married…” she said and ran her finger along one of the lines in his palm.  He nodded and continued to look on.  “It was a bumpy sort of relationship.  See how this line is sort of jagged then straight then jagged again?”

“Yeah…”

“That’s how your relationship was, wasn’t it?  Sort of bumpy then smoothed out for a while and then it got bad again.”

“Dude…” AJ said and finished his cigarette so he could sit at the table with us again.

Kevin looked at AJ and chuckled with a nod before looking back at my mom, “That’s exactly how it was.”

“This break in the line here, that’s your divorce… You’re under 40 right?”

“Uh huh…” the stunned look on Kevin’s face almost made me laugh out loud.

“The hand can show your age too… each finger is about a ten year span and since you’re not yet forty, that means your divorce wasn’t that long ago.”

“It’s been about seven months…” AJ told us excitedly.  I winked at him and smiled.  Again with me and the winking, I was truly hopeless.  Maybe it was the fact that I finally had concrete proof that Kevin was divorced and I was not a home wrecker, or maybe I was a dork too.

“This light area of the line is a transition period.  You’ll be starting a whole new era, so to speak, with someone new and it’s going to be a relationship like you’ve never had before.  See how strong and smooth the line becomes?  That’s the new relationship.  It’ll be exactly what your marriage should have been.”  My mom glanced up at AJ who was nodding and grinning like a fool.  She looked at the side of Kevin’s hand, “It’s hard to tell if you’re actually going to get married again or if you’re just going to spend your life with this new woman but it’s a really, really strong connection.  And… you’ll have at least one child with her.”  I’d be lying if I said my heart didn’t do a huge flip flop right then.  I knew from several past readings that my palm spoke of a really strong relationship just like the one that my mom was describing to Kevin and she also always said I’d have a child and maybe adopt one as well.  I held my breath to see if she mentioned adoption to Kevin.  She studied the child line again and pulled Kevin’s hand closer to her, “You might actually adopt a child too…”

I nearly pissed my pants.  Goosebumps spread over my arms and I tried to brush them away with my hands.  Christian made eye contact with me then knowing full well that Kevin’s palm was starting to match mine.  He mouthed the words “Love Eyes” to me which made me roll my eyes and he giggled quietly at me.  I took a long drink of my wine trying to stay calm and focused on my mom again.

“The shape and length of your fingers tell me that you’re a natural leader.  Very creative… slight temper…” she looked up at Kevin and smiled. 

He gave her a half nod, half shrug then looked at AJ, “Don’t even say it…”

AJ laughed and waved his hands in front of himself, “I didn’t say a word, temper boy.”

She held his hands in hers and concentrated to see if she got any intuitive feelings off of Kevin that couldn’t be found in the lines of his hands.  After a moment she tipped her head to the side, “Are you the oldest child in your family?”

Kevin shook his head, “Nope… the youngest actually.”

“That’s odd… I see you taking a big brother role.” 

“He’s the oldest Backstreet Boy and we’re all like brothers…” AJ piped in. 

My mom smiled and nodded, “Ahh… that makes sense then…”  She held Kevin’s hands and concentrated again.  “Don’t be afraid to move into this new part of your life, sweetie.  This new relationship that you’ll have really is going to be a good one and she’s not going to hurt you like the first one did.”  She got quiet again and I took the moment to look at Kevin.  He was looking a bit like she was freaking him out a little bit.  “This one you just divorced, she lied to you didn’t she?”

AJ got up and started to pace, “Dude…” I chuckled at him as he lit another cigarette. 

My mom smiled at AJ and looked back at Kevin, “She lied about something extremely important to you.”

“Oh my god, you are shittin’ me…” AJ again.

Kevin nodded and cleared his throat like he was a bit choked up, “Yeah she did…”

“Don’t let what she did ruin your chances for true love.  This woman who you’re going to end up with, she’s totally different from your ex wife.  She’ll always be honest with you and you’ll always know she’s being honest unlike your ex who sometimes you didn’t know whether she was telling the truth or not.  This one is the real love of your life and the things you’ve learned from your marriage are only going to make this other relationship that much stronger… as long as you don’t fight it.” 

I was going back and forth between looking at Kevin and watching AJ freak out.  The way they were reacting was proof that everything they were hearing was true.  Not that I doubted my mom’s talent but I always loved to watch the reactions of people to see how dead on she was with her visions.  Kevin wasn’t freaking out outwardly like AJ was but I could tell that my mom’s words were hitting home. She paused one more time as we all watched on and then she smiled, “That’s all I’m getting right now…”

One of Kevin’s bright smiles spread across his face and he got up to walk around the table then bent down to hug my mom.  “Thank you, so much…” he kissed her on the cheek which totally made my eyes well up with tears and he hugged her again.  “That was… amazing…”

She put her hands on his cheeks and smiled up at him, “You’re quite welcome, sweetie… Any time.”

Kevin moved back to his seat and sat down next to me.  I smiled at him, “Good huh?”

He leaned forward and kissed me gently, “Too good… she gave me goosebumps…”

I giggled and held my arm up for him to see, “Me too…”

“Me three…” AJ finished his new cigarette and sat back down plopping his hands face up on the table for my mom, “I’m next.”