- Text Size +

It’s amazing how well you can get to know someone over a slight concussion. Kevin stayed with me all night and we spent hours talking. Every now and then I’d pass out in a happy Vicodin haze and he’d busy himself playing with Vinnie or watching television, but every time I’d wake up he was there. At one point while I was drifting in and out of sleep I heard him talking to someone on his cell phone and I remember wondering who it was, but couldn’t stay awake long enough to be nosy and ask.

Vinnie was really beginning to worry me the way that he’d taken so quickly to Kevin. He was all over the man. Not that I blamed him. Kevin was absolutely beautiful. When he took his button up shirt off to reveal a white tee shirt that hugged all of the right places I literally had to bite back a lustful sigh. I hadn’t had any reason for a lustful sigh in so long I’d almost forgotten what it was like. The crisp white of the shirt against his toned and tanned skin made my head swim. I couldn’t believe how I was obsessing over his body, but I couldn’t keep my eyes off of it, he was damn near perfect. I sat there thinking that he HAD to have an imperfection. He couldn’t be sexy, funny, beautiful, talented and all of the above without having SOMEthing wrong with him.

"Do you smoke?" I pried trying to find out his flaw.

"Nope… my dad had cancer."

Damn. "Mine too actually. I was just trying to be nosy really."

He smiled his perfect smile and nodded, "It’s okay."

"You dance?"  Duh, I knew he could dance, he was in a boyband for crying out loud.  Stupid concussion.

"Love to dance," he grinned.

Damn, Damn. "You any good?"

I knew the answer to that one too.  Damn Vicodin.  He shrugged and smiled, "I’m classically trained in Ballroom dancing… But I just love to shake my butt ya know?"

Whimpering. I was whimpering inside. Ballroom dancing? That one I hadn’t known about.  "Yeah I like to ‘shake my butt’ too…" I stroked Vinnie’s sleeping head on the couch between Kevin and me. I glanced sideways at him and chewed on my bottom lip. Suddenly it came to me like a flash of light. He must have a small dick.

I began to giggle at my own thought and he looked at me with a puzzled look and smiled, "What’s so funny?"

I laughed harder and shook my sore head, "Oh nuthin…"

He laughed and shook his head, "No way… you’re laughing at something. What is it?"

Damn those eyes. "I’m just trying to figure out what the hell could be wrong with you. I’m sitting here listening to you talk and you’re like Perfection Boy. There’s nothing wrong with you, Kevin…”

"Well I don’t know about that…" he smiled shyly.

"Fine, then tell me what’s wrong with you?”

He laughed and shrugged, "Uh… I’m not sure."

“Oh come on… there’s gotta be something.  Like you have a third nipple or an ugly belly button.”

He shook his head while laughing, “I can’t claim either of those…” 

He made a face that struck me as interesting, “What did you just think about?  You made a face…”

“Well, this is going to sound so cliché… But every now and then when you say something I swear we’ve met before.  Which is just crazy since we just met today but I don’t know… It’s like the way you say stuff reminds me of someone I’ve met before… I’ve been thinking it all day.”

So he did remember me.  At least his subconscious mind did, ten points for me!  I ran my hand over Vinnie’s head and smiled, “Actually… we have met.  Just once before and it was a long time ago.  But we did talk for quite a while and I’ve always been a nutjob so I’m sure I said some crazy things then too.”

“We’ve met before?  Really?”

I nodded, “It was really early in 2000.  Do you remember going to a dinner party in Manhattan thrown by Sylvia Davenport?”

“Davenport…” he said and thought about it.  “Wait, is she the lady who used to throw all of those huge themed parties?”

I laughed, “Yeah, that’s her.  The one we were at was a blue theme.”

“And all the food was drenched in blue food coloring!”

“Exactly!” I giggled.  “By the end of dinner everyone had blue lips and blue teeth…”

“That was a horrible party…” Kevin said still laughing. 

“You sat next to a girl who was a senior at NYU.”

“Oh yeah… and she’d told the best stories about…”  His eyes grew wide and a smile slid across his face, “That was you?”

“Yup.  I only got invited to the party because one of my friends was Sylvia’s nephew and he went to school with me.  We thought it would be fun to get all dressed up and rub elbows with famous people like you.”

“You fit in just fine though... had me laughing all night.”

“I suppose, but I was nothing next to you.  I remember going home that night and telling my brother Sean all about meeting you at the party.  He lived with me at the time and I swear for months he teased me about you.  Said I was cheating on my true boyband boyfriends…” I smiled at the memory, “I admit it, I was a N’Sync fan… I just knew that one day I was going to find Justin Timberlake and make him marry me… So yeah, after meeting you all Sean would talk about was how I’d ‘cheated’ on Justin with you…”

“Poor Justin…” Kevin said and we both laughed.

“He got over it… Plus I hear he’s more into blonds anyway.”

“So what about your book?  How did it do?”

“Pretty well actually.” 

“And are you still writing?”

I had to laugh.  “Uh yeah…”  Kevin asked why I was laughing but I shushed him and got up from the couch.  I crossed the room to my wall of built in book shelves and grabbed two boxed sets as well as my Tuesday Morning book and took them back to the couch.  “These…” I said handing him one boxed set with five books in it, “…were my first five.  And these…” I said handing him the second boxed set, “… are the five that followed those.  They’re all in a series about a group of characters…”

Kevin looked at the books with wide eyes, “Ten books?  In seven years…”

“Well, twelve actually… book eleven of the series comes out in about a month, and this one is my most popular one.”  I handed him the copy of Tuesday Morning and smiled.

“I’ve seen this book.  My mother was reading it not too long ago… I had no idea it was yours, though.  Wow…”  He flipped the book over and looked at my picture on the back and compared it to the back of one of my first novels.  “See?  This is the girl I met at that party…” he said showing me one of the Lake Pleasanton books.  He then held up Tuesday Morning, “This is a totally different person.”  He had no idea how true what he said was.  I felt like I’d lived a whole lifetime since I’d written my first books.  Then after Sean was killed everything in my life changed even more.

“Yeah well… My first three books were written when I was just a college kid who was writing for fun and for my closest friends.  That’s how I’d managed to release so many books so quickly when I first got published, they were practically all pre-written.  A lot has changed since that party where we met.”

He continued to inspect the cover of Tuesday Morning and smiled, “Oprah’s Book Club… I’d say they’ve changed quite a bit…”

We talked for a few more hours before I fell asleep again.  I told Kevin about my life and he told me bits and pieces about what he’d been up to as well.  I was still unable to find anything that was wrong with him no matter how much more I learned about him. I had decided that he couldn’t possibly have a small dick though. His hands were way too big and I admit to checking him out when he walked past me to get me a drink.

Despite his physical beauty, as stunning as it was, there was something else about him that kept drawing me in. My mom’s voice kept playing in my head. I couldn’t help but wonder what her vision had meant. I mean, sure she was right about his eyes. But what else was she leaving out? This man with the stunning green eyes, was he evil, or kind? Surely Kevin was turning out to be one of the kindest men I’d ever encountered, but I kept wondering, was it real? Was he really as perfect as he was professing to be? Was he really so sweet, or just being nice because he felt bad about the geek who’d hit her head on her own car hitch?  Was he a typical famous prick of a man who used women left and right? And what about his wife?  Was he still married and running out on her or had they split up?  Was he just faking it all trying to get into my pants? If that was the case, he’d nearly won. With a few bats of his long dark eyelashes I’d melted and let him into my home.  If my head hadn’t hurt so much I probably would have been all over him despite my vow to being single. My only reassurance that I was doing the right thing was that Vinnie trusted him.  Plus, I knew and loved Roland, and if Roland trusted Kevin I felt like I should be able to trust him too.  Right?

Well I trusted him so much that the next morning when I woke up I was still on the couch with him with my head on a pillow in his lap. I sat up holding my hand to my head feeling like I had a really, really bad hang over. For a good ten minutes I sat with my head resting on the couch watching Kevin sleep. I hadn’t had the joy of watching a man sleep, let alone a straight man in my house, in a really long time. Vinnie eventually interrupted my Kevin Watching and walked up to me licking my hand signaling to me that he wanted to be let outside. I smiled at him and slowly stood up making my way toward the backdoor to let him out. While he was outside I fumbled around the kitchen looking for the pain meds that Kevin had been feeding me. I cursed as I searched the kitchen and couldn’t find the pills. I sighed and held my head in my hands closing my eyes.

I heard a pill bottle shake and turned around to find Kevin standing in the kitchen, "Looking for these?" He was even sexy with bed head, in fact, I’d say the look worked for him. Really worked for him.  His short ponytail had gotten messed up just enough to let some of his hair in front hang down messily into his face but he pushed it all back with a hand and looked fabulous.

I nodded and sat down at the kitchen table putting my head down on it. "When’s it supposed to stop hurting so much?"

He grabbed a glass from my cupboard and filled it with water before joining me at the table and taking two pills out. "Probably by tomorrow. I had a concussion once in high school…" I must have given him a puzzled look because he smiled, "Football…"

"Oh…" I said quietly. I looked at him for a moment quietly. "Kevin… I… well… thank you so much for…"

"For making you hit your head by sneaking up on you and giving you a concussion?" he teased.

I smiled looking into his kind eyes, "Yeah… something like that." Vinnie sat at the back door howling to get in and I giggled, "My kid calls…"

I began to stand up and Kevin placed his hand over mine, "I’ll get him… You get in bed…" He stood up and headed towards the door.

I stood up and giggled, "I knew you’d try to get me in bed eventually…"