- Text Size +
I was taking a break in one of the second floor bathrooms, trying to distance myself from the guests.
Since Mr. Grant told me Howie's name, I haven't been able to concentrate like I should. It's easy to just smile at guests and ask them if they need anything while your mind is in a different place.

As I looked at my reflection in the mirror I tried to talk myself out of the nervousness I felt over seeing him. “Look at you; you're not the same as you were 4 years ago! You're not weak; you're starting your own business! He'll be surprised to know you're not working 2 jobs and helping your mom clean houses. You lost weight and you're beautiful. When you see him, do it with your head held high and your back straight. Just like Rachel's always telling you. And if she's with him, let her see the new Anna, not the one she humiliated.

And besides, maybe he doesn't come. God, I hope he doesn't come!

Who am I kidding, he will come. Life is always playing this sick joke on me, of course he'll be here. And of course he'll ask why you disappeared, why you stopped calling and keeping in touch.
But this time, you'll tell him everything, no holding back the truth."

I turned from the mirror and made my way to the first floor. As I was walking down the stairs I saw Mr. Grant, talking with him.

'God, he doesn't change!' He was dressed in black, as if he had just come here from some award ceremony. The ever present smile on his face and the same sparkle to his eyes

But when he saw me, he turned completely and I saw the surprise in his eyes, and my heart started drumming when his smile widened.
"I'm sorry I wasn't around to welcome Mr. Dorough."

"You know each other?" Mr. Grant asked me with curious look.

I smiled at Howie, "I just googled him"
With that he let out a laugh and pulled me into hug.
"This is a great surprise, it's so great to see you!"

Feels exactly the same, as if he hugged me every single day.

Then he whispered in my ear "Estas preciosa!”, Not beautiful, or simply pretty, but precious. He's the only one who always tells me the things no one else does.

When he was pulling away, he gave me the trademark kiss, just like old times, in the same spot, almost to the neck. A lingering kind of kiss.

Then he was addressing Mr. Grant while keeping his arm around my waist. "We've known each other since we were 17. Anna is one of the few people I can call true friend. But we last saw each other…"
"Before you got married. By the way, where's Leigh? I finished before him, wanting to know if she was there or not.

"She's very sorry for not being here, but James wasn't feeling so good and she decided to stay with him" Somehow, that didn't add up to me, but I let it pass.

"Well then, I'll leave you two to catch up on each other!"
With that, Mr. Grant left us, and I stepped away from his embrace.

"Let me show you to your table." I started walking towards the reception area, but he caught my hand.

"Wait! What's the hurry?"
"My work?" I said as I pulled my hand from his.
"Anna, what's wrong? Why are you so... distant?"

I almost laughed at that! "Really? I’m confused, you stop answering my phone calls, emails, texts, for four years, and I’m distant?” I don’t really know what got into me, but I just didn’t want to stop. Specially after seeing the surprise in his eyes and the smile disappear.

“Anna, I think we have a misunderstanding here. We need to get together and talk…”

“Really! Was it a misunderstanding all the times you stood me up? Or you didn’t understand you had to return the calls from your friend. Or better yet, was I sending emails to the wrong person? Did you get any of them?” I was expecting him to start denying everything, but he just stood there looking at me at a loss of words. That only got me madder.
“Tell me, did you receive my messages, yes or no?”

“Yes I did, but you don’t…”

“No, I do understand. Not getting an answer from you was enough. I got the message more than clear, even from Leigh. So now I’m sticking to it, staying away from you.”

“I can’t believe you’re being like this, it’s as if I don’t know you!”

“You’re right, you don’t know me anymore. I’m not who I was four years ago. And I’m not your best friend anymore, so you better get that image of me out of your head, because I’m not that Anna.
Your table is #7, I’m sure you can find it on your own.”

I turned around and quickly walked away from him, not giving him a chance to say anything else to me. Praying for the night and all those feelings I had to be over.