- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is an AU Science Fiction story featuring Kevin, Howie, Brian, AJ and Nick. 

 

ONE

The war was almost over.

It had taken six years, the resources of an entire planet, and millions of lives, but the end was near. The collective feeling was one of immense relief; although the official declaration had yet to be given, victory celebrations were already in full swing.

The last two great warships of the Enemy were being chased, hounded by the ever-persistent Defense Force. The planet-bound paid little attention to the final battles; the massive thanksgiving on every continent had already begun.

~*~

The Essa and the Varith closed in on the Enemy vessel A'mbri just as it passed the orbit of the seventh planet. None of the three ships had much firepower left, but the A'mbri was slowly incapacitated. When a surrender was demanded, it replied as all Enemy ships did... a self-destruct shattered the silence of space moments later. With an ecstatic cheer, the crews of the two remaining ships turned and pushed homeward. Their part in the war was finished.

At the edge of the System, the Enemy's ship O'mosk limped past the third moon of the outermost planet, going barely one-forth its normal speed. The Parrin and the Sealk approached with caution; a cornered Enemy was a dangerous thing.

As the distance was lessened to the Enemy ship, the four men that made up the crew of the tiny vessel Parrin waited tensely. They had firepower, but little in the way of defensive shields; the much larger Sealk would take the lead. They were backup, only. But as time had proven again and again, there was really no safe place in war.

“Has the Sealk contacted the Enemy ship yet?” the blond captain at the Helm asked.

“Not yet,” came the reply from the Comm station. A pair of dark brown eyes looked at the one who had spoken. “I'm monitoring all ranges.”

“Focus on the O'mosk,” Captain Littrell said. “Maybe we can get a replay of that strange signal Nick caught last shift.”

“I still say it was an ident code,” the tall blond said from the Nav chair. “Broken up, and only a second or so long, but I'm sure of it.”

Howard Dorough flicked a few switches. “There,” he said. “I've broadened the band monitors to include any kind of signal, even in the obscure ranges. If there's a code, we'll catch it.”

“According to my scans,” Lt. McLean said from Weapons, “the Enemy doesn't have enough active energy reserves to blow out a birthday candle, much less fight back.”

“We know that their self-destruct capabilities are separate,” Littrell said. “They can activate it even when they register zero power. I don't trust them.”

“The ship's stopped,” Nick said suddenly. “The Enemy isn't moving.”

“Okay, we'll hang back a bit,” Littrell said, adjusting the Helm. “Monitor, please.”

Nick hit a button and the main window solidified into a monitor screen. The great battleship was, indeed, motionless.

“Why am I not happy about that?” AJ McLean muttered.

The Sealk moved closer, and the four heard the broadcast message clearly.

“This is the ship Sealk, of the Defense Force. We have you within range. We offer you the option of surrender. Please respond.”

Nick snorted. No Enemy ship ever surrendered. It would be the standard ten minute wait, then the final offer of surrender would be made... followed, of course, by the self destruction of the ship.

Three minutes had passed when Dorough, with a jolt, gasped and pressed his headset close to his ear. “Signal!”

Quickly the sound was broadcast through the control room. No one dared to breathe as the signal was looped and repeated.

“It is an ident!” Nick said as the code began for a third time.

“I know that code...” AJ said under his breath.

Brian Littrell stood, not consciously aware of his action. His face went a shade paler as realization struck.

“That's Kevin's code,” he said, shocking the other three men. “Howie... verify.”

A couple of seconds later, the Comm officer said, “Verified. Ident code of Captain Kevin Richardson. Reported-”

“Reported missing and presumed dead,” Brian finished hollowly.

“Where's it originating-”

“It's coming from the O'mosk,” Howie said, cutting Nick off in mid question.

“But how-”

“Contact the Sealk at once,” Brian snapped. “I want to talk to Captain Miles directly, priority code 7.”

~*~

“This is Captain Miles,” came a voice a minute later. “What is it, Littrell? We're kind of busy here.”

“We need you to back off,” Brian said, ignoring the condescending tone. “There's an ident code coming from-”

Back off? Have you finally snapped?” Miles said. “We're about to officially end this war. In a few minutes the Enemy ship is going to save us a lot of firepower and blow itself up. There's no way we're backing off.”

“You don't understand,” Brian said, fists clenched at his side. “We just caught a DF ident code originating from the O'mosk. Someone is sending a signal!”

“It's a trick,” Miles said dismissively. “A final desperate attempt at drawing us nearer so we go up in a blaze of glory as well.”

“It's not a trick! You know those codes can't be duplicated. That means that-”

“That someone broke under torture and revealed the information,” said the Captain. “Better they perish with the Enemy. Traitors aren't looked upon kindly back home.”

“But it's Kevin's code!”

“Richardson?” came the slightly surprised reply. “He's been MIA for what, five or six months?”

“His ship went down on reconnaissance duty six months ago, and the wreckage was positively identified. But they didn't find a body. His code transmission now proves he's alive!”

“It proves nothing,” Miles shot back. “Only that Richardson broke and gave out information he shouldn't have, or he's sleeping with the Enemy now. Either way-”

“It means he's alive,” Brian said forcefully. “Kevin would never break, and no one can question his alliances. If you don't pull back, the O'mosk will initiate their self destruct, and we won't have the chance to retrieve him.”

“Look, Littrell, face reality. They're not going to let us just come on board and poke around, looking for your lost traitor. I won't risk my crew or ship in any way. This war is over, the moment that cursed ship destructs. I'll go down as the Captain of the ship that ended it all, and that's the way I want it.”

“You self-centered, arrogant son of a-”

“Now, now, Captain,” Miles said, stressing the title, “that's not very professional of you. Although I suppose I should have expected such, since you gained your rank by default rather than accomplishment. As a matter of fact, seeking out Richardson is the last thing I'd expect you to do... with him in command, you'd be demoted back to Lieutenant Commander. That would look rather bad on your record, wouldn't it?”

Howie gripped Brian's arm, knowing the man was beyond furious. “This isn't getting us anywhere,” he hissed. “Ignore him, you know how he's always been. We need time. If that's really Kevin's signal, there's a chance we can send a flitter over there.”

Brian forced his anger back down, knowing his second in command was right. It was almost painful to speak civilly, but he did so.

“Miles, I'm not asking you to risk your crew or your ship... or your moment of glory. Let me send a flitter out, with one of my own men, and see if we can locate the source of the signal. If it's Richardson, we can get him; if not, we back off. All I need is for you to delay the second call of surrender.”

“And how is this supposed to benefit me?” Miles asked.

“If something goes wrong, you can say you tried to stop us. If it goes right, it will be because you allowed it. Either way, you win.”

Miles held his silence for a while. Anxiously, Brian glanced at the time: only four minutes left.

“I suppose I can be magnanimous,” Miles finally said. “After all, this is the final battleship, and the final conflict in the entire war. All right, Littrell, you've got fifteen minutes. Just don't say I didn't warn you.”

Howie cut communications at once and AJ bounded from his seat. He hurried to the hangar, Brian and Nick close on his heels. Swiftly donning his helmet, he climbed into the retrieval craft, his lean frame filling the front compartment.

“Coordinate with Howie at all times,” Brian instructed. “Get into as tight an orbit to the ship as you can, and triangulate with us up here. If I give the retreat signal, get out of there immediately. Understood?”

“Yes, sir,” AJ answered. He buckled the final straps.

“Don't forget that you need an 8.4 unit distance if the ship blows,” Nick said, completing the outer flight check. “The boosters should work, but we haven't tested them yet. So don't take any chances.”

“Got it,” AJ said. “Clear the bay.”

The two men retreated, closing the airlock behind them. A moment later, a rumble was felt beneath their feet as the flitter was launched.

~*~

A hand, pulling, grabbing... pain, flaring, black dots threatening once again...

K'vn,” came the rough plea. “Go.”

Focus, push the blackness back...

K'vn!”

Yes, go, move, escape. No time, no time left, go...

Vision blurred, unable to see...

A hand, guiding.

“Go,” came the voice again. “Go.”

Stumbling along, the wail growing louder, ringing off the walls, louder... faster...

“In. In. Go.”

A tumbling, a steadying hand, darkness... sudden light. The wail, gone; a terrible, painful jolt. Spinning, turning, twisting...

Blackness.

~*~

“No signal,” AJ said into his headset. “I'm swinging wide, headed towards planetside.”

“Six minutes and counting,” Brian said over the comm. “That means five minutes search time. Do your pass, and whatever else you can manage, but be headed here on the mark.”

“Will do,” came the answer.

The keen-eyed pilot scanned the battleship, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Of course, a signal couldn't be seen, but perhaps there was a-

“Activity,” he said, catching movement from far on his left. “You tracking?”

“We got it,” Nick's voice said calmly. “It's too small to be a ship, but there aren't any weapon energy signatures.” A pause. “Wait. It's changing trajectory. Maybe a remote?”

“To what purpose?” AJ answered. “Looks like it's heading for the planet. Captain?”

“Follow it, safe minimum distance. And focus your arrays on whatever it is. We'll continue monitoring the ship.”

AJ desperately sought out a signal from the mysterious object, but it was silent as a grave. He followed it downward, easing the flitter towards the barren planet below. He knew he couldn't actually enter atmosphere in his craft, but he still had time topursue the object.

Unexpectedly, a signal rang out. He locked onto it instantly.

“Got a signal,” he reported. “It's coming from the unidentified, no doubt about it. What do you advise?”

“We verify,” Howie said. “Can you catch it before it hits proximity?”

“Catch it, maybe. Hang on.”

AJ swung his ship in an intercept trajectory and hit the boosters. With a blast of force, the small craft was thrust forward. If he timed it just right...

He activated the gravity grapple and sent a silent prayer that it would catch. A sudden bone-jarring motion slammed him back into his seat.

“Got it!” he cried, ignoring the pain in his shoulder where one of his safety straps had bitten him in the impact.

“Um, is it ticking?”Nick said.

“It's not a bomb, Carter,” AJ said, rolling his eyes at his teammate's dark humor. “To tell you the truth, I don't know what it is.”

“Scan for energy signatures,” Brian said.

AJ did as directed. “This is weird,” he said after a moment. “Minimal power, minimal energy usage. The signal isn't coming any more. I can just make out the object... the thing is mostly oval shaped, no obvious openings.”

“Could it be a decoy, a relay for that signal to be echoed from?”

“I suppose so, but to what end? I mean, why would they bother?”

“I don't know,” Brian answered. “Can you tow it back?”

“There's not much thrust to overcome,” the pilot replied. “Yes, I can tow it.”

“Then head back here ASAP. Time's almost up, and you're way too close to the O'mosk.”

AJ made the necessary course adjustments.

~*~

“This is the Defense Force ship Sealk,” came an imperious voice over the comm. “O'mosk, you have been given sufficient time to surrender. What is your answer?”

An energy spike registered on a multitude of monitors; everyone braced for the inevitable. Without a word in answer, the O'mosk began to glow eerily.

“Brace for detonation,” Miles said.

Blue and orange lightning traced along the hull of the Enemy ship, gathering intensity quickly. Then, in a startling blast, the ship blew, shattering into millions of pieces that were flung violently into space.

The deck below Miles' feet barely rocked.

“And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the final cry of a defeated Enemy.” He turned to his command crew. “Victory, at last!”

A rousing cheer erupted the normally subdued bridge; Miles basked in the glow.

~*~

“AJ!” Brian cried, seeing the O'mosk blow way too close to the tiny flitter. “Get out of there!”

“I... I can't go any faster,” AJ said tightly. “The extra strain-”

“Release the object,” Brian commanded.

Reluctantly, the pilot did as ordered. The object was left behind as the flitter's boosters kicked in. AJ had barely made it to safe range when the aftershock waves hit. He managed to get his craft to the haven of the Parrin just in time.

Howie looked up as the bedraggled pilot came into the control room. “That was close.”

“Too close, thanks,” AJ replied. He frowned. “We almost had that... whatever it was.”

“I'm still tracking it,” Nick said, eyes locked onto his scanner. “It got tumbled around in the aftershock, but it still looks intact. We can't bring it aboard, no room in the hold. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the power to lock on to it and drag it home.”

“We don't,” Brian said, “but I know someone who does.” He turned to Howie. “One more time, please.”

“Aye,” Howie said, contacting the Sealk.

“Well, Littrell, calling to congratulate me and my crew?”

“Congratulations,” Brian said evenly. “Especially to your hardworking crew. Now that you've effectively ended the war, I am asking a favor.”

Miles laughed. “Oh? And what could that be?”

“There was an object launched from the O'mosk just before it blew. We know it's not a bomb or a weapon; our pilot was able to tow it most of the way back here, but had to release it to escape the aftershock wave. We can't bring it aboard...”

“I should think not,” Miles said. “You barely have room for your skeleton crew as it is.”

“So I am asking you for a retrieval.”

“Why would I agree to that? I have every intention of making best speed towards home-”

“At the very least, it's an alien artifact,” Brian said. “A piece of Enemy technology. That would be the true feather in your Victory cap.”

Miles considered it. “You do have a point,” he said. “Enemy tech is rare... yes, I can see the value of presenting such an artifact to the Regent.” Then his tone changed. “So what's in it for you?”

“I want the chance to see what's inside. I know we got a signal from it, and I need to know why. That's all I'm asking. Please, Miles. You have nothing to lose and we both have everything to gain.”

“Very well,” Miles said at last. “I suppose it's just as well we pick it up; the two week trip back to home would be unbearable if I had to listen to your pouting and complaining the entire way. Consider it done.”

“You'll let us know when it's aboard, right?”

“Of course. When things get settled, I'll send an invite over. I've no doubt you and your entire, ah, crew would love to see a real ship in action. Now, I have other matters to tend to. Miles, out.”

Brian rubbed at the massive headache behind his eyes. “How in the universe did that man ever gain command?”

“It wasn't through personality, wit, charm, or ability,” Howie said dryly. “That's for sure.”

“Nick, plot the course home, follow the Sealk at a sane distance. I'm changing the schedule to regular shifts, so AJ and I will take the first rest periods. Howie, the Conn is yours. Wake me if anything relevant happens.”

“Aye, Captain,” Howie said.

~*~

Captain Jeremy Miles sat back and sipped at his drink. He smiled, reveling in the feeling of immense satisfaction. The war was over, thanks to him, and he would be greeted as a hero back home. Oh, the parades and honors might become tedious after a while, but the people deserved the chance to show their thanks and gratitude. He would humbly comply.

The Sealk was headed home, finally, and the atmosphere was one of excitement. Even the retrieval of the alien artifact had gone smoothly. Once radiation and energy checks had been completed, his tech staff would try and open it; who knew what treasures it might contain? In reality it didn't matter; no one had captured an artifact of this size from a battleship before. Another gold mark in the life journal of Captain Jeremy Miles.

Of course, he would acknowledge Littrell's small role in all of this; the man could use a boost in his so-far pathetic career, that was certain. He could afford to let a tiny bit of the spotlight shine elsewhere. To be honest, Littrell had stepped in and filled Richardson's shoes quite nicely. But then again, that said a lot about Richardson's skills to begin with.

Miles shook his head, not wanting to spoil the mood of the moment. He was about to pour another drink when his comm unit flashed.

“Yes?” he said, slightly irritated at the disturbance.

“Sorry to bother you, sir,” came a voice. “This is Lt. Raines, from Tech. We've completed the scans on the object, and have made a startling discovery.”

“What is it?”

“You'd... better come down ASAP, sir,” the tech said. “You'll want to be here.”

Miles pushed back a sharp reply and said, “This had better be worth it, Raines.”

“I believe it is, sir.”

“Oh, very well. I'll be right down.” He set down his glass, drew a heavy sigh, and strode out of his private quarters.

~*~

“So what's the emergency?” Miles asked without preamble.

“We've been taking various kinds of readings, trying to get a clue what's inside. The Parrin was right, it's not a bomb and the energy signatures are very minimal. We didn't find anything spectacular until we did the ultrasound and infrared readings.”

“And?” the Captain asked impatiently.

“Well, sir, all data indicates there are two life forms inside.”

Miles' jaw dropped. “What? What kind of life forms? It's too small-”

“One is definitely human,” Raines said hastily. “The other... we're not sure. And yes, sir, readings indicate at least one of them is alive.”

“Are you saying there's a live alien inside?”

“Something's alive inside, but like I said, we can't be sure one is alien. The readings are just a bit odd.”

“How could anything be alive in there?”

“We're not sure,” Raines speculated.

“Can it be opened?”

“We were waiting for your order, sir. If one of them is an alien...”

“Get security down here on the double,” Miles said. “And quarantine the area. I want this... thing... opened as quickly as possible. If there's any chance of capturing a live alien, I want it done.”

Raines frowned. He'd never said that the second life form was an alien; the most astonishing thing was there was a human inside. But he knew better than to argue with his Captain.

It took twenty minutes for the door mechanism to be discovered, and another ten to break the seal on what was now being called a capsule. With a great whoosh, and a large popping sound, the door sprang open.

At least six blaster guns were trained on the capsule, but it became obvious that they were unnecessary the moment the door opened. Two unmoving figures were slumped inside, tangled together carelessly. After a few seconds of astonishment, Raines sprang forward, eager to get the two bodies out where they could be examined.

He pulled the smallest one out first, trying to be as careful as he could. It only took a moment to register that the figure was female; she was barely breathing, and her lips were tinged with blue. As he straightened her out, the breathing seemed to ease. Before he could utter a word, however, a cry came from his side.

“Oh my- it's Kevin Richardson!” Aleta Simpson exclaimed.

“Are you sure it's Richardson?” Miles asked from a safe distance.

“Yes, sir, we served together a couple of years ago. There's no doubt,” she said.

“Is he alive?”

Aleta checked the vital signs with professional economy. “Yes,” she declared. “He's got a rebreather on...” She removed the small device from his mouth and made sure the man was breathing on his own. “Vitals are sluggish, but steady. We need to get him to Sickbay at once.”

“And what about the other?”

“She was having a bit of trouble, but her color's evening out now,” Raines said. “Her pulse is very slow, and her respiratory rate is barely registering.”

“Get them both to Sickbay, but keep the female under guard. I want a full report the instant the first assessment is made.”

Quickly, the two unconscious forms were whisked away.

~*~

“Put Captain Littrell on the line,” Miles said into the link an hour later.

“He's unavailable at the moment,” Howie responded coolly. “Is there something-”

“Get him,” Miles snapped. “It's important.”

“Aye, sir,” Howie said, trying to hide a frown. He thumbed a switch and called Brian's cabin. “Sorry, Captain, but Miles is on the line, he says it's important.”

“I wasn't asleep anyway,” Brian said, rolling out of his bunk. “I'll be right there.”

~*~

The Captain of the Parrin took a steadying breath before he said, “Littrell here.”

“I'm sending over a shuttle,” Miles said. “We've made an important discovery that you'll want to see.”

“What did you find?”

“I believe I've put together a very intriguing puzzle. We found the source of your ident code.”

Brian leaned forward, tensing up. “What do you mean?” he demanded.

“Get over here and I'll explain it all. Miles, out.”

“Sir, there's a shuttle within short range now,”Nick said. “It will reach the docking hatch in one minute.”

“Nick, you'll have command while I go see what Miles is up to. Wake AJ; Howie's coming with me.”

“Yes, sir.”

Brian turned to his second in command. “Ready for a field trip?”

“As I'll ever be. Wonder what Miles is up to.”

“I don't know, but it better be good,” Brian swore.

~*~

Lt. Raines greeted them at the airlock. “Welcome aboard, Captain, Lieutenant,” he said, giving a salute.

“Thank you,” Brian said, returning the greeting.

“If you'll follow me this way,” Raines directed. “We're going to Sickbay, on C deck.”

“Sickbay?”

“Yes, sir,” the younger man said. “I assume Captain Miles hasn't divulged any details?”

“Not a single one,” Howie said. “Can you clarify anything?”

“Uh... I'd love to, but I don't dare. I believe our Captain wants to do the honors.” Raines sighed as they waited for the lift. “He does have a flair for the... dramatic.”

Brian barely held back a snort. “No kidding,” he said.

Raines grinned. “All I'll say is, prepare for a shock.”

The trio stepped onto the lift.

~*~

Several guards were posted outside Sickbay doors; Brian wondered why such a precaution was needed.

Miles spied them and came over at once.

“Our little discovery has caused quite a bit of excitement,” he said.

“Cut to the chase, Miles,” Brian said. “What's the big mystery?”

Miles frowned, not caring for the clipped attitude. But, of course, it was expected, coming from Littrell.

“You wanted to find the source of the ident code, and that's exactly what we did. The answer is just behind that curtain.” He pointed to the left.

Raines let the two men over, and drew back the material. Brian stared for a stunned second, then took a step backwards.

Kevin?” Howie said in a hushed voice.

Brian blinked, staring at the damaged figure lying still on the bed. Then, in two strides, he was at the unmoving man's side.

There was no doubt. It was Kevin Richardson. By some miracle, the man was alive.

“What... tell me what happened,” he said, not looking away.

“Of course, it won't be verified until Richardson wakes, but I've pieced together what took place. Apparently Richardson was a prisoner on board the O'mosk... I say prisoner, due to the various repetitive injuries, weight loss, and general dishevelment he came here with. The object you wanted us to retrieve was an escape pod... one which he gained access to, probably through violent means. We found a hand-blaster, of alien origin, in the pod. There was a second body in the pod, one of a female. Scans have verified that she is not human... close, but not quite. Her uniform is consistent with previous reports of the Enemy's clothing. And while he had made use of a rebreather, which kept him alive, she had no such device. Therefore, I surmise that Richardson overpowered his guard, used the female as a shield or guide, and made his way to the escape pod. So not only did Richardson escape, he brought an alien captive along with him.” Miles crossed his arms. “Really remarkable, all things told.”

“And this female alien... is she still alive?”

“Yes, she is. We fixed up her most grievous injuries and secured her in a holding cell.”

“Is she awake? Did she say anything?”

“She remains unconscious,” Miles said. “She'll be guarded on a round the clock basis; as far as I know, she's the only one we've ever successfully captured.”

“Did they do this to him, on the ship?” Brian asked, indicating a large bruised area that covered him from jawline to torso, and a heavily bandaged right hand.

“Some injuries were surely from the pod ejection and subsequent damage due to the blast waves,” Raines provided. “Although we can't be positive which those are. A lot of the other injuries, the partially healed ones, were surely from captivity.” He cleared his throat. “His hand has sustained damage that requires surgery, which they'll undertake as soon as he's sufficiently strong. At this time, they're not sure about the damage to his leg. That appears quite old, perhaps months.”

Brian swallowed. Kevin was bare from the waist up, his skin covered in a multitude of bruises, cuts, abrasions and scars. Some looked like burns... others, he didn't dare speculate.

“He hasn't woken yet, has he?”

“Not yet,” Raines said. “That probably won't happen for a while. Right now, he's stable, and his pain is under control. They're giving him liquid nutrients, so he'll gain strength rapidly.”

“What about the alien?” Howie asked.

“She's being treated well within policy,” Miles said. “When she wakes, she'll be given food and water, but nothing for pain. Of course we want to keep her alive... there are many scientists back home eager to examine a live specimen.”

Howie shuddered.

“She'll receive much better treatment than Richardson, here, did,” Miles continued. “Although I can understand why many of my crew disagree with the policy.”

“With your permission, Captain,” Brian said slowly, “I'd like to stay aboard until he wakes.”

“Of course,” Miles said, smiling. “I thought you would. I've already had a cabin prepared for you and your lieutenant. It's only a spare compartment, but I daresay it's much larger than your quarters on the Parrin. You are welcome to stay as long as you wish.”

Or as long as I can stand, Brian thought. “Thank you.”

Brian grabbed a chair and sat next to Kevin while Howie, led by Raines, went up to the Comm station to give the rest of the Parrin crew the news.

~*~