- Text Size +

 

“Shuttle's clear, Cap,” AJ reported.

“Very well,” Brian replied, standing and stretching. “Call Howie for duty shift. Nick, you have the Conn.”

“What?” the youngest said, startled.

Brian laughed. “You have the Conn until Howie gets here and relieves AJ. Don't let the awesome power corrupt you, okay?”

Nick grinned and practically dove into the command chair.

“Oh, and try not to, I don't know, crash into an asteroid or something.”

“I'll do my best. Hmm... Captain Nick. Has a ring to it, ya know?”

“Like a circus,” AJ said smoothly.

With a snort, Brian left the bridge.

A growl from his stomach told him it was mealtime, but he ignored it. First, he wanted to check on Kevin. He'd heard the reluctant admittance earlier, when Kevin was speaking to Vosh, about how tired he'd become. Most likely the man hadn't realized the audio feed was still active; he'd never admit such a weakness to his fellow crew.

Brian held back a sigh. Kevin had a long way to go, and if he didn't learn to open up to his friends, it would be even longer. At least Vosh still seemed to have the ability to get him to do what was needed as far as his recovery went.

Vosh... hers was another problem, one they absolutely had to solve. Mikal had promised to do some research once he and Aleta returned to the Sealk; no one had been able to shed any light on the dilemma so far. It was obvious that Vosh had tried to explain, but there was a large gap in understanding. Whatever had changed in the last couple of days had to be corrected; it pained him to see her so unhappy. As he rounded the final corner leading to Kevin's cabin, he wondered if they would ever see Vosh smile.

He rapped lightly on the door, not expecting an answer. Using his override, he palmed the lock and stepped into the room.

~*~

Howie arrived on the bridge and raised an eyebrow when he saw Nick.

“Has there been a mutiny I missed?” he said, grinning and sending a wink over to AJ.

“Ha, ha. Everyone's a comedian. I'd make a great captain!”

“If you were Captain,” AJ said as he rose from his seat, “I'd be the leader of the mutiny.”

“You're just jealous,” Nick said, taking his proper place. “When-”

Code Five Emergency, Cabin A-6, STAT!”

The trio froze, not expecting to hear the shouted call. In a split second, Howie's hands flew over his control board. While AJ exited the bridge at a run, he sent a call back to Brian.

“AJ's on his way, what do you need?”

Tell AJ to get the life-unit, and call over to the Sealk for med assist,” came the urgent reply.

“Aye,” Howie said. He exchanged a worried look with Nick and did as asked.

~*~

AJ carried the life-unit as fast as he could, trying not to let panic overtake his thoughts. A Code Five... life in danger. Cabin A-6... that'd be Kevin.

He skidded to a halt, palmed the door, and rushed through, letting his training take over. In seconds he had the unit on the floor, the case flipped open, and the power activated. Only then did he look at the figure Brian was bent over.

Vosh!

Brian had already begun resuscitation procedures on her; her skin was appallingly pale, and it was obvious she wasn't breathing on her own. A quick glance towards the bunk gave him a second shock: Kevin was sound asleep. How could he sleep through the emergency? What had happened?

He pushed his questions back. Focusing on Brian, he activated the unit and waited for information.

“I found her lying here, not breathing. No pulse I could detect, her lips were blue. Her skin was still warm, but cooler than it should be,” Brian said, settling the auto-breather between her lips. He waited until he was sure it was functioning before turning to AJ.

“Kevin hasn't moved, but he's breathing,” he continued. “Try to rouse him.”

AJ quickly went to Kevin's side, shaking him firmly. He called his name several times, and shook even harder. There was no response whatsoever.

“Looks like he's deep asleep,” he reported. “Pulse... slow and steady, and his breathing is even. Could he have over-medicated?”

Brain shook his head. “Nothing Aleta gave him would have done that,” he said. “And that wouldn't explain... explain Vosh.” His eyes went back to the still woman.

“What happened to her?” AJ asked.

“Not sure,” Brian said. “And I have no idea how long she's been like this.” He checked her pulse. “She was barely talking to Kevin earlier... there's only one reason she'd be here now.”

“That healing thing?”

“I'm guessing that's it,” Brian said lowly. He studied the life-unit readouts. “Oxygen levels are slowly rising... pressure is way too low.” He adjusted a few dials, not bothering to hide his frown.

~*~

The silent countdown came to a close as zero approached. Hidden mechanisms activated; the last of the system's power was diverted to the small device. A glow, unseen by any eyes, grew quickly. Then, as zero hit, the glow blossomed. Mission, complete.

~*~

Aleta was reaching to activate the incoming signal flashing on her desk when she felt the entire deck shudder. Seconds later, alert sirens sounded through the Med-Bay, and she activated her earpiece. The signal from the Parrin was forgotten as she ran out the door, trauma team right behind.

~*~

“What's the response from the Sealk?” Brian said to Howie via commlink.

“Med-Bay isn't responding,” came Howie's frustrated voice. “I'm picking up all kinds of signals... something's happening over there. I'll keep trying.”

“Dammit,” Brian muttered. Turning to AJ, he said, “We can't wait. Prep a standard IV, pack number 3. Then go get a transport board; we'll take her into the Lounge for now, there's room there.”

“Aye,” AJ said, moving smoothly. He handed over the requested items and left the room quickly.

“Darlin',” he whispered as he bent close to Vosh. “What did you do?” He inserted the IV. “Don't you know you're important to us, too?”

Silence was the only answer he received.

~*~

Howie stood in the doorway for a moment, observing his Captain. From the concerned look on his face, he realized the woman had not responded as hoped. He saw Brian reach up and brush back some strands of hair that had fallen across her cheek; the gesture was gentle, and oddly intimate.

He cleared his throat and entered the Lounge. “I finally have the report on what happened over there,” he said. “It's taken this long just to get a clear summation.”

Brian glanced up at the clock. “Nearly an hour,” he said, scowling. “I take it something major occurred.”

“The escape pod that Kevin and Vosh used must have had some kind of self-destruct mechanism that wasn't detected. It blew just about the time we were calling over there for med-assist. Aleta had her hands full.”

“What extent was the damage?”

“It took out about half the landing bay,” he said. “Luckily that area is heavily shielded, or it could have taken out most of the ship. Five crewmen are dead, and another seven injured.”

Brian shook his head. “Five... and we are so close to Home.”

“I finally did talk to Aleta and described our situation here. She said that until they make some basic repairs, the landing bay is non-operational. She can't get over here by shuttle.”

The Captain rubbed a hand over his face. “Any time estimates?”

“They're telling me between four and five hours. Aleta said that we can hook up a comm link, and she'll try to do what she can from there.”

“Do it,” came Brian's tired, short reply.

“Patching through on two,” the Communications officer said, activating the link through the wall unit. Aleta's disheveled visage appeared.

“Captain,” she said, nodding. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“Not your fault,” Brian said at once.

“You've got a life-unit activated,” she said. “Send me the data stream.”

He did so, watching her reaction to the readouts.

“I see you've given her a pack 3,” she muttered. “Good, that was exactly the right call. I don't like some of these numbers... she's been like this for approximately forty-five minutes?”

“Yes, but I don't know how long she'd been out before I found her,” he said.

“I'll send some adjustments along,” Aleta said. “Put the unit on auto-receive.”

Ten minutes later, Aleta's expression eased. “Much better,” she said with a nod. “How's her color look?”

“A lot better,” Brian said, glad to see the chalkiness gone from Vosh's skin.

“I'd add a supplement kit to her IV,” she said. “The boost in sugar and vitamins should help bring her back to normal. Now, what about Kevin?”

“AJ's been with him. He's way out, won't respond to calls or shaking.”

“Just a very deep sleep?” she asked.

“That's what it seems like.”

“Give him a stim,” she directed. “Single dose, check his responsiveness, give another if he's not awake. No more than three.”

“Will do.”

At Brian's nod, Howie retrieved the stims from the general medical kit on the wall and headed to Kevin's cabin.

“How are your injured?” Brian asked.

“We're lucky the force of the explosion was fairly contained. I've got two on critical watch; I was able to release one, and the others are under observation.” She shook her head. “It's going to be a long couple of shifts.” She paused. “What do you think happened to Vosh?”

He hesitated. “I'm not sure. I'm hoping Kevin will shed some light on this whole thing.”

~*~

Aleta leaned back and rubbed at her tired eyes. She was silently going through treatment protocols when a voice interrupted her thoughts.

“Been that kind of day, hasn't it?”

“Hello, Lieutenant,” she said, giving Rich Raines a smile. “I'm afraid it has been.”

“From the reports, you and your staff performed above and beyond today,” he said. “You'll never hear it from our sage Captain... but thanks.”

She gave a short laugh. “Heaven knows I didn't take this job for the thanks.”

“This has been a tough tour,” he said thoughtfully. “Any regrets?”

“About signing on as head of Medical? No, not at all. I only wish I'd gotten Certified sooner. Now, as far as choosing a position under Miles...”

He grinned. “We all got the short end of the straw on that aspect,” he said. He looked at the monitors over her desk and his expression sobered. “How are they doing?”

She glanced at the readouts. “Stable, both of them. There's been slight improvement in Baker's condition, if he keeps going in that direction I'll be able to upgrade his status in a few hours. The others are under observation, and should be released within a day.”

“Well, I've come to collect the death reports if you have them ready,” he said. “Miles can sign them off so I can inform the families.”

“That's a Captain's duty,” she said, frowning.

“He always has me add a nice little condolence script on his behalf.” Raines frowned. “It says the exact same thing each time.”

Aleta leaned back, disgusted. “What is that man going to do once we get back Home?” she said. “He's worse than useless as a commander.”

“Rumor has it he's going into politics,” he answered.

She winced, then rolled her eyes. “Great,” she muttered. “Just what the post-war government needs.”

“Speaking of which... any thought on what you'll be doing once we get back?”

“Me?” she asked, surprised. “I can't imagine doing anything but healing. I've talked to Howie and the others on the Parrin, and once things settle down we're going to start a medical clinic, maybe a settlement where people can begin anew.” She gave a slight smile. “Building instead of destroying, healing instead of hurting.”

Raines nodded. “You're a fantastic Doctor,” he said. “I can't see you doing anything else, really. I wish I knew what I wanted to get into myself.”

“Keep us in mind,” she said, gathering the reports that he had requested. “You've got plenty of tech skills, I'm sure there would be a welcome place for you anywhere.”

“Thanks, Doc,” Rich said. “I will.”

He left, and Aleta replayed the conversation in her head. Yes, it would be wonderful to be healing, to be helping in a truly meaningful way once she got Home. It would gladly be her life's work. She agreed with Rich; she couldn't imagine doing anything else.

~*~

He reluctantly left the soft comfort of sleep; someone was shouting, pushing, calling-

“Howie?” he mumbled, squinting to focus.

“You awake?”

“Mmm- awake. Why?” He blinked. “What?”

“We need you fully awake and aware,” Howie said. “Hold on.” He applied a second stim.

“Ow... hey,” Kevin complained, sitting up. He drew in a deep breath. “What's happening? I was really asleep.”

“You weren't asleep,” came the correction. “You were totally out of it. You didn't take any drugs today, did you?”

“Drugs? No, nothing.”

Howie frowned. “You're sure.”

“Yes, I'm sure,” Kevin said. “What-”

“How do you feel?”

“I feel fine,” he said. Then, he paused. Several long seconds passed. “I feel... my knee, it's-”

“Healed?” Howie guessed.

With an astonished look, Kevin stood, testing the joint. “The pain, it's gone! But-” He froze. “Oh my god,” he said. “Vosh- where's Vosh?”

“Come on,” he answered. “Brian's with her in the Lounge.”

For the first time in more than half a year, Kevin ran.

~*~

Brian heard the footsteps as they rapidly approached. The second a figure appeared in the doorway, he held up a hand.

“She's stable, breathing on her own, but still unconscious. Aleta's been directing treatment over a link.”

Kevin shut his mouth, his volley of questions vanishing not only with the statement, but with the startling sight of the small figure on the table.

“Oh, god,” he whispered, swaying just a bit. “She...”

“Steady,” Howie advised, placing a hand on his friend's back.

“Brian?” The word was soft but full of emotion.

“Do you remember what happened?” the Captain asked evenly.

“No, I... we were talking, and I thought I'd lie down for a bit. She walked me back, and... next thing I know Howie's waking me.”

“From the way you were tearing down the corridor, I'd guess that you're feeling better.”

“My knee,” Kevin said, gesturing. “There's almost no pain at all. It feels... right. Like it used to, before.” He approached Brian's side. “But I don't understand.”

“Well obviously Vosh healed you,” he began.

“But I thought the damage was too old, and too severe, for her to help,” he said, confused. “Why would she even try? It's always been far too dangerous-”

“When I found her, lying on the floor of your cabin, she wasn't breathing,” Brian said bluntly. “I could barely detect a pulse.”

“She could have died...” Kevin said, anguish on his face as he regarded her pale skin. “She knows better than to try and-” He stopped. “She knew better.”

Brian and Howie watched his expression go from shock to realization. A look of utter despair settled behind his eyes.

“She knew what she was doing,” he said in a bare whisper. “What it would cost her. And she did it anyway.” He swallowed several times. “Oh, Vosh...”

“Kev?” Brian asked softly.

Wet-rimmed eyes looked up. “She over-extended herself on purpose,” he said shakily. “I don't think she cared about being... being saved.”

It was Brian's turn to be shocked. “Are you saying she tried to kill herself?”

“No,” he said slowly. “But I'm saying that as miserable as she was, I think she pushed past her limits without caring about the consequences. It never occurred to me that... that she didn't want to go Home with us. I thought she'd be happy, that she'd want to make a new life.”

“From what you've told us about her,” Brian said, “I think there's got to be more to it than that. Just giving up... it's too easy. It doesn't seem to fit her character.”

“But what else could it be?” he asked.

“It's something that we don't understand,” Howie said. “Not yet. She was trying to tell us, but there's just too much of a gap. I mean... how could she have fought so hard for survival, all this time, and now that we're so close to freedom, she gives up?”

Kevin took Vosh's hand, not knowing what to say. Brian placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Watch over her, will you? Howie and I are going back up to the bridge, I want to see what we can do to get Aleta over here.”

A nod was his answer. A minute later, he sat down in the chair Brian had vacated, eyes never leaving Vosh's ashen face.

~*~

Dr. Aleta Simpson signed off the final duty report for the shift and stood, stretching out the tension in her overworked muscles. Her staff would be more than adequate in caring for the remaining patients for a while; she needed rest and a bit of food. The latter she took care of with a quick stop at the cafeteria, grabbing a sandwich and a nutri-drink. To take care of the former, she headed to her quarters.

She had just finished the light meal when her private message chime sounded. Curious, she activated her vidscreen and found herself looking into worried brown eyes.

“Howie?”

“Aleta, sorry to bother you, I know you're off shift...”

“No, it's fine. What's up?”

She listened as Howie updated her on Vosh's condition and what Kevin had revealed. When he was finished, she sat back with a sigh.

“The whole situation keeps getting stranger,” she said. “The last report I got from the Launch bay said repairs would be done within two hours, enough to get the medical shuttle out. I plan on coming over as soon as I can.”

Howie smiled over their connection. “Good. I'll be glad to see you.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Oh?”

He self-consciously cleared his throat, and she thought she could detect a slight blush. “Well, you know, to see you here so you can check out Vosh.”

She grinned. “So in a strictly professional capacity, then?”

“Well, I... ah...”

Laughing, she said, “Howie, you are almost too sweet. You don't have to be shy around me, I promise... and once we get back Home, you'd better be prepared to see me hanging around an awful lot.”

“I think I could handle that,” he said with a smile.

“I'm going to hop into the shower and then grab a cat-nap. I'll be over as soon as they clear things.”

“See you then. And, thanks,” he added, giving her a nod before signing off.

Aleta lingered in the shower, allowing herself the luxury of an untimed flow. With the ship approaching Home in a matter of days, restrictions had been eased. She indulged in her favorite special soap, letting the sweet and spicy fragrance swirl around the small stall. As the heat and scent eased her tension, her mind began to drift.

Vosh. Howie's news of the latest event troubled her greatly; what could have driven the alien to such despair? She was free, safe from the Enemy after who-knew-how long, and about to set foot on solid ground. After the initial fervor died down, Vosh would be able to live a relatively normal life. Of course, she wouldn't have to worry about healing others, so she could-

Aleta's eyes widened in a flash of insight.

Not V'sh, dead. K'vn, N'ck, Br'n, all know. L'ta, know. All make. V'sh, not. Stop. End.

Despite the warmth of the water cascading over her body, she felt a shiver race across her skin.

She understood.

Abandoning her sanctuary, Aleta scrambled to dry off and dress. With all thoughts of sleep gone, she activated her comm and dialed the one person whose opinion she trusted.

“Mikal Batai,” came the smooth voice.

“Mikal, I need to speak to you right away.”

~*~

He leaned back. “I can't give my judgment until I know the entire truth, Aleta,” he said, studying her expectant face.

She looked down. “We... we're trying to keep some information secret,” she said. “Something vital about Vosh.”

“Doctor, surely you understand about confidentiality; I have taken an oath, a personal one, which I have never broken, even under Government demand. Anything you tell me, no matter the gravity, will be kept private.”

Aleta hesitated.

“If I don't have the information, I can't help,” he provided.

“Sorry, Mikal, I know I can trust you. I think you'll see why we don't want this getting around.” She took a deep breath. “You see, Kevin discovered that Vosh has the ability to heal.”

“As in, like a doctor?”

“No,” Aleta said. “Like nothing I've ever seen or imagined. She has an innate ability to take away pain, and to actually repair physical damage. From what I gather, she can direct some kind of... of energy, or something, and through concentration, focus that energy on the affected injury or area.”

“You've seen her do this?” he asked, astonished.

“I have,” she said. “And I know it's authentic. I could show you the scans of Kevin Richardson's hand when he was first brought to Sick Bay, and the scans I did directly after Vosh did a partial healing on it. We think that it wasn't a full healing because Vosh didn't have enough energy stores at the time.”

“But... that's amazing,” Mikal said.

“It is. She can heal herself, as well. Now, as you can imagine, she kept this ability secret during her imprisonment on the Enemy ship, up until she met Kevin.”

“But why did she reveal it then?”

“Only Vosh knows for sure. But as Kevin tells it, she said he was the only one who was right, whatever that means.”

“She trusted him,” Mikal said.

“Yes.”

There was a long silence. “If her ability is a natural one, then she's most likely had it all her life.”

“I believe so,” she said.

“So back on her home world, I imagine that ability would have been known.”

“Probably a safe assumption.”

“Imagine being born on a world where others had the same ability as you... a talent for healing... Surely there would be methods of training, teaching and learning.”

“Makes sense,” Aleta answered.

“She would have led her life as a Healer among her people.”

“Yes.”

“I understand her actions, then. Why she over-extended herself to heal Captain Richardson. If everyone here had determined that her Healing ability was to be kept secret, and that she be forbidden to let that secret out...”

“Then she wouldn't be able to do the only thing she'd ever known,” Aleta finished. “Being a doctor is important to me; I've done a lot of other things, but my true calling is the medical arts. If Vosh was born as a Healer, it was all she'd ever known. And to tell her that now she couldn't do it... That's what she meant, what she was trying to tell us.”

“Yes,” Mikal said, nodding his head. “If she couldn't be who she was... if she couldn't be Vosh, the Healer, then she was dead. Without purpose or meaning or significance. The rest of us, Kevin included, would be able to adapt to life back Home; we know how to belong. But she has no place in a world where she can't Heal.”

“And we were only trying to protect her,” Aleta said, pain in her voice. “I hadn't considered the effect it would have on Vosh's sense of importance.”

“This is going to be a delicate issue,” he said. “You must decide what is to be done now. Vosh really must feel useful, productive... needed. The only way she's going to truly feel that way is to let her do what she was born to do, Heal. But you're right in the fact that should the news get out to the general populace, she'd never have a second's peace. The demand for her skills would be immense, and I fear that it would overwhelm her, possibly to the point of personal injury -or worse.”

Mikal stared at the wall for a full minute, gathering his thoughts carefully. “Tell me, how is she doing right now?”

“She's stable, according to the last reports I received and Howie's observations. I really need to get over there, though, and see for myself.”

“Stable. You know,” he said slowly, “that's too bad.”

Aleta's eyes widened in shock, but before she could find her voice, Mikal held up a hand.

“If she were dead, there wouldn't be a problem.”

If he had slapped her backhanded, it would have been less of a surprise.

“Wh-” she began to sputter.

“If Vosh were dead,” he said as he rose from his desk, “there would be no interrogation, no research, no discoveries about her talent. No one to hound her for the rest of her days. No one to stop her from living a free life.”

Aleta forced herself to take a deep breath. She met his eyes and stood as well.

“That... would be true,” she agreed in a tentative tone. “But she's not dead.”

“There's been a lot of chaos and confusion since the escape pod detonated,” he continued deliberately. “With you not being able to get to the Parrin, and there being no trained emergency medtech on board...”

“A documented Code Five emergency,” she added, beginning to see where he was headed. “Her vitals were absolute minimal, and with the emergency in the landing bay I wasn't able to initiate lifesaving procedures remotely. I wasn't even aware of the crisis until much later.”

Mikal smiled. “According to our own beloved Captain Miles, Littrell and crew are barely worth the oxygen they consume. Surely they wouldn't be able to think on their feet and save the poor woman.”

“And she's an alien,” Aleta said with a spark in her eyes. “Who knows how she would have responded to the standard drugs and treatments. It's medically feasible that they might do more harm than good.”

“I imagine that Captain Richardson would have been dealt an emotional blow and suffered a setback when the alien perished. He's been through so much, everyone knows he's a bit... fragile. And surely such a shock...”

“Would require immediate attention. And with things here in the capable hands of my medical staff, it would be only right that I see to our War Hero's wellbeing.”

“As chief Medical Officer, it would indeed.”

She gave him a brilliant smile. “I do believe I have some reports to write,” she said, “and officially document the entire crisis. I'll have to break the news to Miles about the loss of his specimen. He won't be happy, especially since he lost the escape pod as well.”

“What about Vosh's body?” Mikal said with a hesitant frown.

“An alien body, which could be carrying any number of hostile viruses and disease, would be far too dangerous to transport and store. Standard practice puts the safety of human life above all else; incineration and disposal is the only sure way of providing that.” She nodded. “Our Captain is way too busy to be bothered with all this right away, so I'll make a personal visit to the Parrin and deal with everything first.”

“Will Miles be able to accept that?”

Aleta nodded. “He won't like it, but after all, she wasn't the Enemy. She was just another uninteresting non-human.”

“Please convey my condolences to Captain Richardson and the crew when you see them.”

“I'll deliver the message personally,” she promised. With a purposeful stride, she left Mikal's office and activated her communicator.

“Lieutenant Raines,” she said when he answered, “I'm going to need your expert tech assistance on a vital matter. Meet me at Medical.”

~*~