- Text Size +

 

“...so you can expect at least a two-day debriefing once we land. They were going to send out a lightship to bring you back early, but I told them that you needed physical rest beforehand.” Brian looked over at the doctor. “You'll back me up on that, won't you?”

“Absolutely,” Aleta said. “They can ask all kinds of questions once you're recovered enough to endure it, Kevin. But until then, you are on absolute R&R.”

“Just get me back to the Parrin, and I'll be content,” he assured his two friends.

“AJ's already made sure we're properly stocked,” Brian said. “Although there were some containers that he was kind of evasive about... but Howie promised me they weren't anything illegal.” He shrugged. “I suppose we'll find out soon enough.”

He stopped when he saw a young woman -an Ensign by her uniform- enter the room, belatedly realizing that Vosh was behind her. He gave a friendly smile but Aleta spoke first.

“I see everything fits,” she said.

“Yes, ma'am, although I don't think she cares for the shoes,” Erin answered. “But you were right, we are the same size.”

“Ensign Avar donated some clothing to Vosh,” Aleta explained when she saw Brian's inquisitive look. “Ensign, this is Captain-”

“Littrell,” Erin finished. “Yes, ma'am, I know.” Then she ducked her head, blushing once again. “Sorry,” she apologized, realizing she had interrupted a superior officer.

“We'll all be civilians soon enough,” Aleta said. “I don't think anyone here stands on protocol much.”

Brian grinned and held out a hand, which Erin shook. “Nice to meet you, sir,” she said. Then, glancing at the time, she said, “I need to be reporting to duty in just a few minutes. If you'll excuse me...”

“Of course,” Aleta said, putting an arm around her shoulder. “Let me walk you out, there was something I wanted to ask you.”

The two women left, and Kevin broke the silence.

“You look great, Vosh,” he said.

You, too, she signed.

“We've never been introduced,” Brian said. “I'm Brian Littrell.” He held out a hand.

Vosh tilted her head slightly, then shook his hand. She glanced at Kevin and made a gesture.

“Yes, I've told you about him,” came the answer. “He's a-”

Another gesture interrupted his words.

“Yes, a Captain like me,” Kevin said, surprised. “Part of my crew before I was imprisoned.”

She turned back to Brian. With great effort, she managed to speak his name. “Br'n.” She touched her chest. “V'sh.” She studied him closely.

Brian cast a glance to Kevin, who shrugged.

“I don't know, just see what she does next,” the older man advised.

Hesitantly, Vosh moved a step forward, her hand raised slightly. Brian stood still, curious. He offered her a small smile, hoping to reassure her in some way.

She glanced at Kevin again, but didn't ask a question. Instead, she turned back to Brian and carefully, slowly, reached up. When he didn't move, she moved her hand forward and, with the utmost delicacy, touched his hair.

She regarded it with wonder. For several moments, she gazed at the strands, feeling the texture between her fingers. Then, suddenly, she withdrew her hand and stepped back. Before Kevin could ask, the odd scene was interrupted by Aleta's return.

“So, Kevin,” Aleta said, “do you think you're up for a stroll around the ship? I imagine you'll be spending the night on board, so you can probably quarter with your crew... I understand they found a Suite to accommodate you all. Unless you'd rather bunk here?”

“No reflection on you, but no way.”

“Excellent, then. Brian, I'd appreciate you going as escort, just in case a certain someone has trouble. By the time you come back, I'll have the paperwork done and you can officially be free of Sickbay.” She cleared her throat. “I'd like to keep Vosh here until you return.”

“Why?”

“I'd like to do an exam and clear her at the same time, so you can all leave together.”

“All right.” Kevin looked at Vosh and began explaining, but she stopped him. An abbreviated gesture made him raise his eyebrows.

“Uh, okay,” he said slowly. “We won't be gone long.”

“What did she say?” Brian asked.

“That she understood what Aleta had said, and agreed to stay behind.”

“And what part of that surprised you?”

“Both,” Kevin admitted. “But mostly that she agreed to the exam. She refused earlier.”

“Maybe she's more comfortable around everyone now,” he said.

“Maybe,” he said. “Come on, let's take a hike before the doc here changes her mind.”

Aleta laughed and walked the pair to the doorway. Once they had gone, she turned to the small alien, who was regarding her with an even, penetrating gaze.

“Vosh,” she said, “I know how you feel about privacy, but I'm hoping you'll let me examine you. I really want to check out the extent of the damage from the... the assault.”

When she got only a blink in response, she tried to make her message clearer. Adding pantomime to her words, she began again.

“When you were in the cell,” she said slowly, “someone attacked you. Tore your uniform at the shoulder... hit you across the face.”

Ever so slowly, Vosh nodded.

“Was it just one man?”

Vosh tilted her head and considered. She held up one finger.

“One,” Aleta repeated, glad to hear there wasn't more to the terrible story than she'd guessed. “All right. Now, have you seen him since?”

At Vosh's frown, she tried again. “Have you recognized- no. If you saw him again...” She sighed. “Can you remember what he looks like?”

A dark expression crossed the alien woman's face. She gave a curt nod.

“I know this is difficult,” the doctor continued. “I just want to help you. I want to see justice done, that man should pay for what he did.” She rubbed at her temple. “You'll be going with Kevin and the others to the Parrin tomorrow, so I'll send a personnel file transmission over there. You'll be able to look through the crew's pictures and pick him out, hopefully.”

Silver-gray eyes didn't register comprehension, but Aleta didn't try to make the latest comments understood. Kevin would be able to explain it...

Then a thought hit. Kevin didn't know about the assault. She was certain of that... as protective as he was of Vosh, he would have gone ballistic at the news. He'd never asked about her handprint-shaped bruise... but then again, he wasn't exactly thinking clearly yet. Now, she was faced with a huge problem. What would she do when he found out the truth? What would he do?

She groaned. He was doing as well as could be expected, but while he was recovering physically, they hadn't begun to deal with his mental and emotional states. This was just one more thing he shouldn't have to handle.

A feather-like touch brought her thoughts back to Sickbay. Vosh was looking at her in concern. She made a sign, slowly. From the accompanying expression, Aleta guessed what she'd said.

“What's wrong is I don't think Kevin knows about you... what happened. The attack.”

A firm shake of her head. Then, Vosh put a hand over her mouth.

“I know, but he's going to find out one way or another. Maybe it's best if I just told him before-”

A hand shot out and gripped her arm. Vosh stared at her intently, and shook her head 'no' once again. She carefully made a sign and waited.

“I'm sorry, I don't understand that one.”

Vosh repeated it, but it still didn't make sense. After a moment, Vosh tried another approach. She pointed to herself, and made a quick movement. Then she pointed to Aleta, and made a different, but similar one. She pointed to the uniform sitting in the box on the bed, and made a tall gesture... and a sign. The same sign she'd started with.

The light clicked on.

“Do you mean Kevin? That's the sign for his name?”

Yes.

Vosh pointed to herself and made a sign slowly.

“Your name. Vosh.”

Yes.

“And mine?”

Vosh demonstrated, watching as Aleta awkwardly made the motions herself a second later.

Yes.

“Okay, I think I got it.”

Vosh made the sign for Kevin, and added to it with a dramatic expression. This time, Aleta understood right away.

“Pain.” She got a nod. “I know Kevin will hurt,” she said. “But he's going to hurt even more if he finds out it was kept from him.”

No!

“He'll find out.”

At that, Vosh paused. Something unreadable flickered in her eyes for a moment. She struggled with a decision, then looked squarely at Aleta.

Kevin... Vosh... she signed. Then she touched her lips with her fingertips and made an outward motion.

“You want to tell him?” Aleta guessed.

Yes.

She sighed. “I suppose it is your right,” she said. “And I have to uphold your privacy. So I'll leave it to you to let him know.” She shifted gears. “Now, to the matter at hand. I'd like to check you out physically. I know you heal fast, but I need to know the extent of the damage.”

No hurt, came the message.

“I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you asking me not to hurt you? Or are you saying that you don't hurt any more?”

The smaller woman frowned. She glanced around the room, then walked over to a counter. Retrieving an object, she came back to stand in front of Aleta. When she had her full attention, she acted.

Taking the pair of scissors in her hand, Vosh made a quick slash across her left forearm before the doctor realized what she intended to do. With a cry of alarm, Aleta started forward, but Vosh stepped backwards just as fast. When the alien had her full attention, she signed slowly.

No hurt.

Holding her injured arm up for Aleta to see, Vosh focused on the cut. The flow of blood stopped almost at once, and the injury began to knit together. A minute later, Vosh wiped the blood away on a cloth and held her arm up for inspection.

Aleta was still in semi-shock from the incident, but her curiosity compelled her to look. There was utterly no trace of the wound whatsoever... it had been completely healed. With hazel eyes wide in wonder, she said, “That was incredible.”

Vosh waited expectantly, and Aleta finally understood.

“There are no lasting injuries from your attack,” she said, “because you healed yourself.”

Yes.

“But you still look pale,” Aleta said.

She placed a hand on her stomach, then pantomimed putting food in her mouth.

“Ah, you're hungry... of course. I would imagine that you need to refuel after any kind of healing... and meals have been sporadic at best.” Before Vosh could ask, she continued. “Sorry. Kevin and Brian should be back in a few minutes, would you like to go and eat with them? Can you wait?”

After a moment, Vosh nodded. “Good. I'm still on duty, so I can't join you. But I'll request that a meal be sent to where the Parrin crew bunks. Although Kevin is stronger, I don't think he's up to seeing a ton of people in the dining hall just yet.”

Kevin, Vosh... she signed. Then a new gesture. She indicated a light overhead, and touched the end of her hair.

Aleta was baffled.

Vosh repeated the sequence, but to no avail. After several more tries, she changed subjects. Picking up the scissors again, she held them up.

The doctor was slightly alarmed, but relaxed when she got the new message Vosh was sending.

“You want me to cut your hair?” Aleta said.

Yes.

“But I'm not really-”

Yes.

“One of the ship's crew cut Kevin's hair earlier, wouldn't you like to have it done professionally?”

Vosh ruminated over the words. Finally she gave a tentative nod.

“Good. I can make a call and arrange it.” A sound came from the other room, interrupting their conversation. “Kevin?” she called, expecting the pair had returned.

“Sorry, it's just me, Howie,” came the answer. He stepped into view.

“Hi,” Aleta said. “You just missed Kevin and Brian, they're on a quick walking tour of the ship. I was about to officially release him and Vosh from Sickbay.”

Howie smiled. “That's great news,” he said.

“Yeah, no one really likes hanging around here,” she sighed dramatically, then grinned.

“Oh, I don't know,” Howie said, “Sickbay does have its perks.”

Aleta paused, her eyebrows raised slightly at his words. “Is... that a line?”

“Well, ah...” he answered, cheeks beginning to redden.

“It sounds like something AJ would say,” she continued.

“No, it's not a line,” he stammered. “I meant it as a compliment. You know, that it's not so bad having to be here if you're here too.” He looked away.

“That's sweet of you to say, Howie,” she answered. “Thank you.” When he looked up, she said, “You know I hope to be spending a lot more time with you... all of you... once we get home. It's nice to know I'm appreciated.”

“You are... I mean, I do. Uh...” He stopped, not sure what to say. Some communications officer you are! he thought. Good grief!

Aleta laughed, her hazel eyes sparkling. “That's okay, I understand what you meant. If you'll excuse me, I need to see about getting Vosh's hair cut.”

“Of course,” he said, stepping aside when she headed for her office.

He turned to the small alien, who was watching him with great interest. “I don't think we actually got introduced before. I'm Howard Dorough, the Communications Officer on the Parrin. I'm Brian's second in command...” He stopped at her growing frown. “Right, sorry. I'm Howard... Howie to my friends.”

Vosh held out a hand like she had seen the others do, and he shook it. Then, she concentrated and croaked out, “H'wi.” Pointing to herself, she said, “V'sh.”

He smiled: it seemed to brighten the room. His warm gaze was genuine, and she relaxed; this was one of K'vn's friends, perhaps someone she could begin to trust.

“I'm glad to see you up and about... Kevin too. Aleta says his hand is all cured now, thanks to you.” He shook his head. “I don't understand how you did it... but I'm grateful. Thank you.”

She tilted her head slightly, focusing on the few words she understood. His voice was smooth and liquid; like K'vn's and Br'n's, it was pleasurable to the ear.

“I still can't believe he's back... I'd given up hope a long time ago. The only one that had faith was Brian. Why, I can't fathom. But none of that matters now, he's here and safe... and so are you.” He gave a small smile. “And you probably understand next to nothing I'm saying.”

She responded by making a series of fluid gestures, which left him confused.

“I'm sorry, I-”

“She said she understands your smile,” came Kevin's voice from behind.

Howie turned to greet his friend but paused when he saw the fatigue and slight traces of pain on Kevin's face. He was leaning heavily on Brian's shoulder.

“It's his knee,” Brian provided before Howie could ask.

“I was fine until I moved it wrong stepping on to that platform,” Kevin protested.

“Uh huh. So you were what, practicing your limp in advance?”

Kevin flushed. He hobbled over to a chair and sat down, mumbling something.

“What was that?” Brian said pointedly.

“I said, I didn't think you noticed.”

“You were supposed to use a walking cane,” Aleta said, joining the group. “Don't tell me you forgot it.”

“I didn't think I needed it,” came the sullen reply.

“We can't do anything about that knee until we get back home,” she reminded him. “Would you like some pain killers?”

“No-”

“Yes,” Brian said, cutting him off.

Aleta crossed her arms. “You need to get some rest tonight, at the very least,” she said. “You are making a major public appearance tomorrow morning, and then going over to the Parrin. If you don't have the pain under control, you won't rest.”

“I don't want to be knocked out or loopy,” Kevin said.

“I can give you a dose just large enough to take the edge off if you want.”

“Well...”

Yes, came Vosh's clear sign. She stared into Kevin's emerald eyes and held his gaze. Yes.

“All right,” he finally relented. “But just the minimum amount.”

A minute later, Kevin's expression eased as the pain faded a good deal. He gave his thanks to the doctor, took the cane she offered, and stood carefully.

“Captain,” he said, turning to the blond, “lead the way. I'm ready to roll.”

“I've ordered a meal delivered to your suite,” Aleta said. “My official recommendation is to spend a quiet, restful evening with your crew, get plenty of sleep, and be ready to go tomorrow morning.”

“That sounds good to me,” he agreed.

“Then get going. Oh, and Vosh will have a visitor in about half an hour, someone is coming to trim her hair.”

At that, Vosh tapped the doctor on the arm. Kevin, she signed. Vosh. Another familiar sign: Aleta. Then she repeated the sign that hadn't been understood earlier. She pointed to the lights overhead, then to her hair, and finally to Brian.

“That's Brian's sign?” the doctor guessed. “But what does that have to do-”

Kevin gave a slight smile. “She's referring to his hair... it's light, not dark. She seemed fascinated with it earlier.”

“So name signs are sort of a reflection of who she sees that person as,” Howie guessed.

“Yes, as far as I can tell. Her own name, I found out, incorporates the gesture for healing.”

“That's why her name sign and mine are similar,” Aleta said.

“Yes.”

“What's my name sign, then?” Howie asked. “Or do I even have one?”

Kevin turned to Vosh. “Howie,” he said.

She made a succinct gesture that made him grin. “If I'm understanding it right, she combined the word 'handsome' and 'smile' to get your name.”

Howie looked surprised, then blushed.

“She's pretty perceptive, isn't she?” Aleta asked.

At her remark, Howie's color deepened.

“Good grief, Aleta,” Brian teased, “have mercy. Howie isn't used to such praise from the ladies.”

“Really? Well, he should be,” Aleta said, surprising everyone. “Now, all of you, out of my Sickbay. The rest of you might be on vacation, but I've got a ton of paperwork ahead of me tonight.”

Brian led the way, with Kevin and Vosh close behind. Howie, in somewhat of a daze, followed the rest, not saying a word the entire way back to their quarters.

~*~

Nick looked up from his sketchbook when he heard the outer suite door open. AJ, who had been playing yet another game of solitaire, put down his cards and leaned back.

“Well, it's about time,” he said. “I thought the doc was going to release you two hours ago.”

“We're here now,” Kevin said, moving to a chair and sinking down. “Thank goodness.”

“If we hurry, we can catch dinner in the main hall,” Nick said. “I'm practically starving to death.”

“Meal's being sent here,” Brian said. “And you're a long ways from starving.”

“So D,” AJ said, eying off the distracted Comm officer, “did you run into a wall or what?”

“Huh? Oh, no,” Howie said, blinking.

“Aleta gave him a compliment,” Brian said, smirking. “There will be no living with him now.”

AJ leaned forward with interest. “Did you use that line I gave you? About there being perks to being confined to Sickbay?”

“Yeah, kind of.” Howie frowned. “She told me it sounded like something you would say.”

His eyebrows arched. “Really?”

“She knows all your tricks, Aje,” Brian said. “Remember, she was a first-hand witness for nearly a year.”

“I dunno, I thought it was a great line,” AJ muttered.

“Well, she did give Howie a compliment afterwards, like I said,” Brian continued. “Of course, Vosh started it all when she called Howie handsome.”

He glanced towards Vosh with a smile, but it quickly vanished when he saw the look on her face. She was staring at AJ with wide, fearful eyes, looking as if she were ready to turn and run at the slightest movement.

“Kev?” he said in a low voice, not wanting to startle her.

Kevin looked up, then saw Vosh. He immediately stood.

“What's wrong?” he asked at once.

Vosh didn't reply, but a visible tremble passed through her body.

“What did I do?” AJ asked, confused. “Why is she looking at me like that?”

“I don't know,” Kevin said. “Vosh,” he said, stepping closer, “it's just AJ, he's a friend.”

She took a step backwards, pressing against the doorway.

Look at me,” Kevin demanded. “Vosh!”

Somehow, she managed to wrench her gaze away from the confused man and glanced at Kevin.

“Explain,” he said. His voice brooked no argument.

Her complexion paled even further and she shook her head. She moved so she touched the door, which opened automatically behind her. Turning, she fled the Suite, running blindly into the corridor.

“Damn it,” Kevin exclaimed, starting for the door.

“Wait,” Brian said. “Let me. Right now I'm faster than you are. I'll find her.” Without waiting for a reply, he ran after the alien.

AJ, shaken from the entire incident, swallowed heavily. “She seemed terrified of me,” he said. “What... why?”

“I don't know,” Kevin said, truly confused. “I've never seen her scared like that.”

“But... she's seen me before, when we all met at the prison cell. Why didn't she have some kind of reaction then?”

Howie said, “I don't think she was paying much attention to the rest of us, she was so involved with Kevin.”

The tall man ran a hand through his hair. “She didn't even react that way to the Enemy,” he said. “With them, it was anger, not fear.”

“Brian'll find her, and when she calms down a bit, you can talk to her in a friendly way,” Howie said. “Quite frankly, I don't think your demanding an explanation helped the situation.”

Kevin sighed. “You're right, it... it just took me by surprise.” He sat down again. “I thought all the fear and anguish was behind us, once we escaped.”

“Maybe AJ looks like someone who hurt her before,” Nick said in a quiet voice.

Three pairs of eyes snapped towards him.

“I mean, that would explain it,” he continued. “Sure, it couldn't have been AJ, but...”

Kevin shook his head. “I saw most of the prisoners on the O'mosk,” he said. “None looked anything like AJ. And the Enemy sure didn't look human.”

“Well, maybe it was before you were taken prisoner,” Nick said. “Or maybe it happened after you got here.”

Kevin felt his blood grow cold at the simple statement. “What... Nick, what do you mean, after we got here?”

Nick's face lost a little bit of color. He cleared his throat and said, “You know, the attack. In the prison cell. Maybe whoever hurt her looked a little like AJ.”

~*~

Brian was quick, but whatever fear propelled Vosh made her faster. His first decision as to which direction to take was solved by a rather puzzled crewmember frowning down an empty hallway.

“Which way?” Brian asked as he approached.

The man pointed to the right, and Brian ran past him, calling a thanks as he went by. He tried to think of where a scared person, unfamiliar with the ship, might end up. He knew the basic layout of the vessel, but it didn't really help. Wondering how he would find her, he turned a corner just as his eye caught movement. Had he been a split second later, he would have missed it.

Kicking his pace into high gear, grateful for the physical training he did daily, the young Captain sped down the corridor. When he rounded a final turn, he saw her at last.

She was facing a dead end; the only forward access was through a keyed doorway. Thus cornered, he slowed his pace, knowing she wouldn't be going anywhere. He approached cautiously, hoping he wouldn't make the situation worse.

Vosh spun around, her face pale and her eyes wide with panic. She tensed, seeing Brian approach, but didn't bolt.

“You sure know how to run,” Brian said as his breath evened out. “Vosh, I'm not going to hurt you. I want to help.”

She looked over his shoulder, but quickly locked back on his face. He could see the effort it took for her to stay in one place.

“That's it,” he said in a low, comforting voice. “Whatever spooked you, it's all right.” He held up his hands. “See, I'm just here to help. Okay?”

Once again she looked behind him, then back again with uncertainty.

“Now, I know we are going to have a hard time understanding one another, but we have to try.”

Gray eyes conveyed her apprehension.

“Vosh,” he tried again, “I know Kevin is better than me at this, but his knee wouldn't let him follow you. So I came, to try and help.”

At Kevin's name, a spark of interest flickered across her face. Her stance relaxed slightly, and Brian continued.

“We'll take it slow,” he said, stepping towards her cautiously. When she didn't protest, he drew near.

“I won't let anything happen to you,” he said. “I promise. Okay?”

A tentative yes.

“Good. Now, how about we go somewhere and sit down, so we can figure this out a bit?” He held out a hand, which she studied warily.

“It'll be all right,” he said. He could feel the tremble in her touch when she put her hand in his a moment later. Ignoring it, he gave her a smile.

“Come on, there's a small break lounge down the way... better than standing in the corridor, right? We can sit down and catch our breath.”

She let him lead her down the hall, but when they made a left hand turn, she stopped. He saw the fear had returned to her face and guessed at the problem.

“No, we aren't going back to the Suite until you want to. I promise.”

It took her nearly half a minute but she finally gave a reluctant nod and moved forward once again.

By the time the pair reached the tiny break room, Brian felt he had won a major battle. Luckily they were alone, and he walked her to the small couch.

“Okay, now let's try to figure out what shook you so badly. Just to be sure... was it Nick?”

She blinked.

“Did Nick scare you? He's the tall one, with blond hair-”

She reached up and indicated his own light strands.

“Yeah, like mine,” Brian said. “Were you afraid of him?”

She frowned, then shook her head no.

“It was the other person... AJ.”

With wide eyes, she nodded, and her fingers flew in quick, intricate patterns. The only thing Brian understood was her distress.

“Whoa, hang on there. Maybe Kev can understand that stuff, but I'm new at it. We have to do this the slow way. Okay?”

She swallowed, then gave a tentative nod.

“Okay. So AJ scared you... or something about him did. Do you remember seeing him earlier?”

She nodded, then paused, and shook her head.

“Hmm. Let me rephrase that... Did you see AJ in the prison cell?”

Vosh frowned in thought, then gave an uncertain no in answer. She qualified it with a wavering hand.

“So you might have seen him but didn't pay attention, right?”

Yes, a little more certain.

“How about in Sickbay?”

No.

“The first time you really saw AJ, looked at his face, was in the Suite.”

She paled slightly. Yes. Then the frown returned, and with it a few more gestures.

Brian thought for a minute. “He looks like someone you know. Or knew. If you've never seen him before, that's got to be it. I've served alongside him since the war began, and there's no way he could have met you unless you were somewhere other than the Enemy ship.”

Vosh blinked. Concentrating, she mulled the words over.

Encouraged, Brian continued. “So it's not really AJ, our AJ, that you were so scared of. It can't be.”

She bit her lip as the logic seemed to penetrate her emotions.

“AJ would never hurt you. I know that. He's one of the best fighters we have, but only against the Enemy. And after we found out you saved Kevin's life, helped him escape... I know AJ would do anything to protect you.”

Vosh stood, deep in thought. She paced back and forth, struggling with it all. At last she turned to Brian and signed emphatically. Her silent speech lasted nearly half a minute.

“Ah, right. Darlin', I didn't understand a single thing you said, but at least we're making progress.” He stood and held out a hand. She took it, looking at him expectantly.

“You understand it can't be AJ you are afraid of, right?”

A hesitant yes.

“When you and Kevin escaped the Enemy ship, in the pod, where was it going?”

She seemed to understand. With a large circular gesture, she indicated a sphere, a planet. Another few signs accompanied it.

“Near... it was supposed to go to the nearest planet.”

Yes.

“But it was only meant for one person.”

Yes.

“It was headed for the planet, but you had no control over it. With the extra weight, it was worse.”

She blinked, realizing the truth of it. With a puzzled stare, she waited.

“We heard your signal... Kevin's ident code. You sent it, right?”

Yes...

“We tried to catch the pod... it was AJ that took a small ship out to tow you in. He caught it before it burned in the planet's atmosphere, but the Enemy ship self destructed, and he had to let it go.”

He watched as she digested the words. “He was able to tow you far enough that the pod was saved... but we couldn't rescue it. Our ship was too small. We had to get this ship, the Sealk, to retrieve. She had the equipment, and the space to take it aboard.” He waited until she met his gaze. “Vosh, it was AJ that saved you and Kevin. If he hadn't stopped the pod from hitting the atmosphere, you would have burned up on re-entry.”

Kevin... Vosh... she signed slowly.

“Would be dead, if not for what AJ did. Yes.”

As realization hit the small alien, Brian watched her intently.

She made a few more signs: clearly a question, but he had no idea what. Before he could speak, however, she frowned and dismissed her words with a gesture.

Kevin, she signed.

“Yeah, I'm afraid he'll have to take it from here.”

Although the fear had dimmed behind her eyes, hesitation was still there.

“We're going to have to go back,” Brian said. “Once you talk to Kevin, I'm sure things will be all right. Then you can meet AJ and see that he's nothing to be afraid of.”

She shivered, ever so slightly. He knew she understood. A small beep sounded, and he glanced at his comm unit on his wrist.

“Littrell,” he said after activating it.

“Excuse me, Captain,” said an unfamiliar female voice, “but this is Marta Griers, Dr. Simpson sent for me. I arrived at the suite but they told me my client had... left for a while.”

“Oh, you mean the haircut for Vosh?”

“Yes, sir.”

“We've had a bit of a misunderstanding. Is it possible for you to come to...” he looked around, “the small breakroom on F corridor west?”

“Of course, sir,” the woman said. “I'll be there in just a minute. Griers, out.”

He turned to Vosh. “Did you understand?”

Yes.

“Good,” he said. “When we're done here, we can go back.” Hopefully, in a much calmer frame of mind, he added mentally.

The groomer, the same one who had worked on Kevin it seemed, was chatty and efficient. Vosh sat as still as stone the entire time, letting the woman choose what to do. It didn't take long, and when the woman stepped back, Brian nodded in approval.

“Looks great,” he said, truthfully.

“Thank you, sir,” the groomer said. “Unfortunately I had to trim a lot off because of damage... but it should grow back fast.” She turned to Vosh. “Here,” she said, handing over a small hand mirror. “What do you think?”

Vosh took the object carefully, unsure what to do. Marta smiled, and held it up properly. The look on Vosh's face, when she saw her own reflection, made Brian smile.

Her eyes widened, and she blinked several times. Then, she reached up and touched the smooth glass surface. Only after a few moments of further study did she actually regard her hair. Reaching up, she touched the side strands, seeing her double in the mirror. A look of mixed emotions crossed her face.

“It'll grow back,” Marta said confidently. “And trust me, you look wonderful.”

Vosh glanced at Brian, who nodded in agreement to Marta's statement. That seemed to do the trick, and the slight despair vanished.

“Thank you,” he said sincerely.

“Oh, my pleasure,” the woman said, gathering her tools. “And good luck.”

With that, the two found themselves alone again.

“Well, I think it's time. Ready?”

Vosh gave a silent sigh, and nodded. Brian was surprised when she reached out and clasped his hand, but he didn't mind at all. Together, they walked slowly back to the suite.

~*~

Howie's hand flew out and stopped Kevin just before he punched the wall.

“Vosh went through a lot to heal that hand,” Howie said sharply. “Don't throw it away.”

Kevin twisted free and let out a string of vehement curses. Howie ignored the tirade, keeping an eye on the angry man.

AJ watched the oldest pace furiously back and forth across the main area of the suite, flinching when Kevin kicked at a chair. From the new round of expletives, he knew the action hadn't helped the damaged knee any.

“You want to give it a rest now?” Howie said. “Just because you can walk on that knee, doesn't mean you should.”

A heated glare was the only answer.

“Look,” AJ said, “Brian's going to be coming back soon, no doubt. Is this the state you want Vosh to find you in? It's bad enough she was scared to death of me. Don't need to have her afraid of you as well.”

That, at last, captured Kevin's attention.

“Why didn't someone tell me about this before now?” he demanded. “Why didn't Vosh tell me?”

“Probably because of this exact reaction,” Howie said in a hard voice.

“Has anything been done? What about-”

“Aleta tried to get some answers,” Nick said in a small voice. “She even went to Captain Miles, but it didn't do a whole lot of good. As a prisoner, her rights didn't seem to matter much.”

“Vosh isn't the-”

“Kev, we know,” Howie interjected. “There's nothing we can do about it now.”

“The hell there isn't,” Kevin declared. “Vosh can identify whoever it was, and-”

“What are you going to do, demand an answer from her? Obviously she chose not to tell you.” Howie let the sentence hang in the air for a moment. “She has her reasons, Kev. And the last thing she needs right now is more anger.”

“If one of my sisters was attacked,” Nick said, swallowing hard, “the last thing I'd want to do is upset her further. She needs understanding, not anger. Howie's right.”

Kevin clenched his jaw, but knew his friends spoke truly. Throwing his hands up in defeat, he uttered a few more curses before sinking down into a chair. Leaning forward, he put his head in his hands and remained motionless for nearly a minute.

“What's wrong with me?” he whispered painfully. “Damn it, you're right. All of you. I just... I don't know.”

Howie took the seat next to him and carefully put a hand on his shoulder. “What's wrong with you?” he repeated softly. “Kev, you've been a prisoner of war for half a year. You barely got out alive. Vosh is someone important to you, and now you discover she'd been attacked in a place you thought was safe. Your whole life has been turned upside down once again... that's what's wrong. No one expects this to be easy... it's going to take time. We all understand that.”

“But you guys are the last ones I should be taking it out on,” he said in a low voice.

“We aren't going anywhere,” Howie continued. “We all are going to have to make a new start, and being together is the answer, I think.”

AJ nodded, adding his agreement. Then Nick said, “I guess none of us really understands what you've gone through... maybe nobody does. But that doesn't mean we're going to turn our backs.”

Kevin looked up, seeing the genuine concern on his friends' faces. It had been so long since he'd seen human compassion and caring that he nearly lost emotional control. With a great effort, he pushed it all back and managed to speak in a shaky, but heartfelt voice.

“I honestly didn't expect to be alive at this point,” he said. “This... having your support... is beyond my wildest dreams. I...” He paused. “Thanks.”

The suite door chimed, and all four men looked towards it.

“Maybe that's Brian and Vosh now,” Howie said.

“He would just come in,” AJ said, moving to the door. “Hang on.”

Five minutes later, the main table was ladened with covered dishes and wonderful smells swirled through the air. The food service personnel bid their good-byes and left the four practically drooling in response.

“Man, we never got this good stuff before,” Nick said, peeking under a dome.

“Are you kidding? Kevin's a hero, I imagine it's going to be like this from now on,” AJ said, grinning.

“At least I'm good for something,” Kevin said with a slight smile.

Howie rejoiced at the attempt at humor. It was a definite positive sign.

“If this is the way you're going to be treated, I'm never leaving your side!” Nick said, stealing a nibble from another dish.

“I see,” Kevin said. “It's all about the perks, right?”

“Right!” both AJ and Nick chimed at once.

Howie laughed, and a good measure of light came back to Kevin's eyes.

~*~