- Text Size +
STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN -- APRIL 4
5:00 A.M.
Brian

Normally, I'm the strong one between Frack and I, honestly. Normally, Nick freaks out and I catch the fall out and put him back together again. I'm the grown up between us two, I'm the one who has the answers.... but this - well, this was different. This was AJ... This was...

Officer Lennon had excused herself the moment I broke down, retreating to the hallway, saying she had some paperwork to do there. I collapsed into Nick, grabbing onto his shirt and balling my fist as I pressed my forehead against his shoulder. I felt like I'd been socked in the gut. Nick sat stone still, his hands wringing ceaselessly in his lap, and staring straight ahead at the wall.

"What's going on?" Howie's voice was sleepy. He was standing in the lighted door frame that connected our two rooms. "I heard Brian and --"

Heard me? It wasn't until he'd said those words that I realized I'd been sobbing like a four year old kid. I released Nick's shirt and sat up, wiping tears away from my eyes and drool away from my mouth with the back of my hand. Nick's shoulder was soaked. His eyes swiveled towards mine. Jedi Mind Tricks, unapproved by the FBI.

Howie's forehead wrinkled in concern. "Guys?"

"Howie," Nick croaked, "Howie, we - I -"

Howie stepped into the room. "Nick?"

Suddenly the door to the hall swung open and Officer Lennon re-entered the room as though she owned it. She threw a bloody mass in a huge ziplock type bag onto the mahogany table top. "Do either of you recognize this?" she demanded.

Howie looked like he was about to drop to his knees, his hands shook. "What's -- what's that?" He came closer.

Officer Lennon's eyes flickered warily to him. "Who is this?" she demanded.

"Thats Howard," Nick answered.

Officer Lennon's eyes flicked to Nick with distaste, then back to Howie. "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you a few questions," she started.

I tried to say he doesn't know yet, I tried to squeak out a word of warning for Howie - whose best friend, whose equivilent to my Frack, was who we were talking to - but I felt my throat close up.

"Question me?" Howie squeaked, "Question me about what?" Then his eyes lit up with recognition. "Holy Toledo," he gasped, "Is that AJ's skullee jacket?" he asked, looking at the ziplock bag.

"I need to speak to you about the murder of one, Alex McLean," Officer Lennon spat the words... as though they meant nothing.

Howie's eyes went wide and his skin got pale. "Murder?" he whispered.


**********


Nick

"Oh God, Howie's going to flip," I said as Officer Lennon followed him back to his suite.

"I can't believe how tactless she was," Bri murmured. He sniffled.

"I know! Can't she see he's Inconsolable?"

Bri gave me a look, but it was like the dam had burst open. The shock had worn off and my tongue had loosened. For a whole hour I had been the mature one of our duo. But, I don't handle tragedy well. When tragedy strikes I become like that odd geeky guy who decides to stand up during Open Mic night at the club.

"We're all going to be Incomplete without him," I continued.

Bri's face was a combination of pasty skin and blotchy-ness from crying. "Nick, what the hell are you--"

I put my hand on his shoulder. "I Just Want You to Know that I love you, man."

Bri leaned forward and took a sniff. "So you are drunk."

"No, I'm not! It's all so much More than That."

"You're speaking in song titles!"

"It's because I can't comprehend this! AJ's Never Gone!"

Bri shook off my hand and reached up to grab my shoulders. He shook me. "Shut up!"

"I can't! I'm Climbing the Walls! I'm Shattered! I'm In Pieces!"

Smack.

My jaw loosened and hung slack. I was like a guppy for a few seconds.

"You...hit me," I whispered. My voice rose. "I'm telling Everybody!"

"NICK!"

Bri and I hadn't full bodied wrestled in years, but the turmoil of the evening had made him snap. He jumped on me like an alligator flying out of the water to snap at prey.

"What are you two doing?!"

Suddenly Brian was airborne. An officer had him by the arms, lifting him off me. I sat up feeling ruffled. Howie's eyes were beet red. He folded his arms and shook his head. Right behind him was Officer Lennon.

"I'd suggest that you two get it together," she said icily. She came up to me and stared down. If it was any other woman, I would have tried to sneak a peek up her skirt. But I didn't. She pointed right at my nose.

"Just a word of advice, Mr. Carter..."

"Don't leave town."