- Text Size +

The rest of the ceremony went off without a hitch. And the reception that followed was the best party of my entire life. The dancing and laughing and spending time with close family and friends was something I would never forget. We had our first dance to ‘No Ordinary Love’ by the Deftones then a meal fit for a king, followed with lots of fun letting loose on the dance floor. Cutting the cake was a treasure in itself until Eve smashed some in my face and I think I thoroughly embarrassed her to no end when I took her garter off with my teeth. The single ladies in the house nearly killed each other trying to get the bouquet and we both successfully kept our family from hounding us on our reason for the interlude in the garden shed. Now wasn’t the time to tell them. We still had to digest the news ourselves first.

Sometime well after midnight, we made our departure and took the Hummer limo to the hotel we would spend our wedding night at. The honeymoon suite of course with lots of candles and rose petals, soft music and sparkling cider. Neither one of us spoke a word in the limo about the situation; instead we reveled in our new marriage and made out like horny teenagers.

Once at the hotel, I carried her off the elevator, down the hall to the room and let her swipe the keycard. Then I pushed the door open with my foot and carried her across the threshold. Setting her onto her feet, I kicked the door shut then looked my beautiful wife over, just feeling my heart brimming with the love I held for her.

“Mm,” I murmured as I drew her close then dipped my head and placed soft kisses along the side of her neck. “I should have carried you to the bed.”

She giggled softly and tossed my top hat then began to undo the buttons on the vest of my tuxedo. “I have to make a quick stop to the bathroom first.”

I slowly lifted my head and arched a brow. “Oh really?”

“Mhm,” her eyes danced and she pushed the vest off my shoulders, taking the jacket with it, “you sit tight and I will be right back.” Then winking at me, she turned and sashayed off in the direction of the bedroom that housed one of the biggest Jacuzzi tubs right in the room next to the bath.

I watched her go with a happy little grin and tossed the jacket and vest on the back of a chair. I slipped my shoes and socks off next then undid the cufflinks on my white shirt, the cuff buttons soon following then the buttons down the front of the shirt. Soon I was just in my dress pants and undershirt and when I looked up, Eve was strolling back into the room wearing the sexiest lingerie I’d ever seen her in. It made the temperature in my body shoot up about a hundred degrees and my mouth run dry.

“Tha…uh…wow,” I stammered out as I stared at her and the way the white lacey material accentuated her assets and teased me with strategic placement. It was enough for all the blood to rush from my body and pool in one specific area.

My wife smirked and did a sexy little pose. “I take it you like.”

“Oh, baby,” I grunted, “I love.”

“Good.” She wiggled her finger at me then turned and sauntered back into the bedroom. I followed along like an eager dog and once in the room, pounced to claim what was now rightfully mine.

The next few hours were spent lost in each other and solely each other. The shocking news I had shared with her, along with our family, friends and the entire day simply melted away. It was the two of us sharing a love and bond that no one could break. The feeling was pure ecstasy, euphoria and being that close, that intimate, heightened every sense. We were locked in a world made only for us and worshiping each other in a way that was intended for newlyweds.

Every time with Eve felt better than the previous and this time I felt like I was going to shatter into millions of pieces or careen out to another universe never to come back. It was glorious and delicious and I never wanted it to end, ever. But like all great and wonderful things, it eventually did and left us both breathless and flushed and holding each other close, hearts pounding and heads spinning.

Lying in the afterglow, I had to take a minute, or two, or four, to come back to myself. Eve was stretched against me with her head on my chest and her hair billowing around. I could smell the peaches from her shampoo and closed my eyes, trying to memorize this moment so I would never forget it.

In my arms, my wife gave a soft almost purr like sound and smoothed a hand down my chest to my tummy. “Mm s’good.”

I shivered and chuckled low at her slurred words. “Mhm indeed.” My own mouth felt thick.

She giggled then pressed her face to my chest, kissed it and rested her cheek back against my skin again. “I love you.”

I looked down to her and brushed some hair from her face. “I love you more than I can even begin to describe.”

“I hope we both live to be really old so we can have this feeling forever.”

I chuckled low and kissed her forehead. “I hope we have that, too.”

I felt Eve smile and then we both fell into that comfortable silence where no words are needed whatsoever.

“So,” she finally spoke up after a long moment had passed. I met her eyes and she touched my cheek with her fingertips. “Do you want to talk more about what you told me in the garden shed?”

“We probably should.”

“Do you not want to?”

“No,” I shook my head, “I do, I’m just not sure how I really feel about it, yet. My head is still trying to wrap about the possibility that I’m a father and that I have two little girls out there that have lost their mother.” My throat tightened a bit at that and I had to break eye contact with her.

Eve pushed up onto her elbow next to me. “I know it’s heartbreaking, baby, I really do. But there is a chance that you’re not the father.”

My eyes met hers. “But what if I am?” It came out softer than I had intended.

She pressed her lips together and smoothed her hand on my cheek. “Then we’ll get it figured out. We’ll talk to this attorney that contacted yours and see what’s going on and where the girls are now and…we’ll figure it out.”

“I want them.” I think I surprised her with that bold statement, hell, I surprised myself. But I couldn’t imagine letting the state take custody of my children and bouncing them from foster care to foster care. And if they were mine then they were my flesh and blood and what kind of father would I be if I ignored that. The thought nearly made my stomach churn. “If they’re mine then I want them with us.”

She watched me for a long moment without speaking then nodded and kissed my cheek. “Okay, if they’re yours then we’ll take them.”

That made me feel somewhat better and I gently tugged her back down and into my arms. “I don’t know when I’ll be able to get a DNA test done. We’re gonna be in The Seychelles for two weeks.” We were supposed to leave tomorrow in fact.

Eve snuggled as close to me as she could get. “Are you even going to be able to relax and enjoy yourself there for two whole weeks?”

In all honesty, probably not, but I didn’t want to tell her that and ruin our honeymoon. We both had been looking forward to it so much and now all I wanted was to do that damn DNA test and figure this out. A million questions were already racing through my mind about them, their situation and their mom and I was going to feel restless and on edge until they were all answered.

“Alex?”

I blinked and pulled from my thoughts to look at her face. “Sorry, and do you want my honest reply?”

“Of course.”

I let my fingers smooth through her hair. “I probably won’t be able to relax enough. Not that I don’t want to be with you and celebrate our marriage…but the whole situation is going to be weighing so heavily on me that I won’t be able to enjoy myself. And in turn, you won’t be able to enjoy me or yourself or the entire experience.”

She nodded at that, watching her fingers as they traced over my chest. “So, you want to postpone the honeymoon.”

It came out more like a statement than a question and I felt a twinge in my heart at the bit of disappointment that was evident in her voice. “I…I do, I’m sorry,” I whispered out suddenly feeling like the most horrible man on the planet.

“For how long?”

How was I supposed to answer that? “Well, I guess it depends on what the test results are.”

“Right.” Eve nodded some then pushed herself up. “I need to use the bathroom.”

I watched her slip from the bed then stroll completely nude into the bathroom, the door closing behind her. With a sigh, my head fell back into the pillow. Well, what a way to ruin a wonderful day and even better night. Not even married twelve hours and already my wife was upset with me.

What’s a guy to do in a situation like I’m in? I just couldn’t see myself on the other side of the world enjoying myself. I’d get over there and not be able to stop thinking about the girls and their deceased mother and where they were and who was watching them and if I was their father. Two weeks of agonizing and worrying and wondering before I’d be able to return for the DNA test. And then have to wait two more weeks to get the results. Maybe even longer, depending on how rushed they could make it. I couldn’t take all this pressure and worry for another month. Hell, I could hardly handle it for one day.

But knowing how disappointed Eve was pained me. She had really been looking forward to the escape and exclusivity the islands had to offer. And I didn’t have an answer on when we would be able to actually do it, because if I was the dad…then we were going to suddenly have two little four year olds in our lives. What if we never got to go on our honeymoon? Was that something she’d be able to overlook or work past? I was going to have to do something big and super special to make it up to her. What a way to start a marriage, huh?

When Eve rejoined me a few moments later, she was wrapped in the terrycloth robe the hotel provided. I watched her slip back into the bed and pull the covers up over her. “Are you sleeping in that?”

She settled into the bed on her back. “Mhm.”

Okay, she was definitely annoyed with me. “Why?”

“Because it’s comfy.” Then she shifted to her side and I got a good view of her back.

I closed my eyes and took a breath to make sure I didn’t say the wrong thing and start a big argument. Not something I wanted to remember on our wedding night. “Eve,” slowly I shifted under the blanket with her and sidled up to her back, smoothing my arm around her waist and drawing her body to mine, “please don’t be mad at me.”

“I’m trying not to be, but I really can’t help how I feel,” came her somber reply.

That made my heart twist and I pressed a kiss to the back of her head. “I’m sorry,” I apologized with raw emotion in my voice. “I’m sorry I’m ruining our honeymoon.”

“It’s not your fault,” she replied and I was sure I could hear tears in her voice.

“It kinda is. I mean, if they’re mine then …. I should have been able to keep it in my pants. If I had then none of this would be happening.” I wet my bottom lip some and studied the back of her head. “And if they’re not mine then we’re going to go on the best honeymoon there ever is. Maybe make it three weeks.”

Eve chuckled low and shifted her arm and I was sure she was wiping her cheeks. “What are we gonna tell everyone?”

That thought hadn’t crossed my mind until now. What were we going to tell everyone. There was no excuse on why we couldn’t make the honeymoon. My schedule was clear for the next month and Eve had the time off work; hell, she owned the company, she could do whatever she wanted. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, was going to want to know why we were staying home instead of celebrating our marriage out in the beautiful islands of The Seychelles.

“I…have no idea,” I finally responded with after a moment of thinking it over.

She sighed and shifted to her back, her teary eyes meeting my face. “I know this may sound selfish of me…but I was really looking forward to finally being the most important thing in your life. And now….well,” she shrugged some, “if you’re the dad then…they’re gonna suddenly be the most important thing.”

Tears threatened my eyes at that. “Oh, baby,” I reached and drew her closer to me, “you already are the most important thing to me.”

“Yeah, but not on the level that I would be as your wife; at least until we had children. Then yeah, of course they would become more important…but it’d be the same for both of us,” her voice trembled and she closed her eyes.

I felt her pain slicing right through me. “Eve,” I spoke it in a rough whisper.

“I’m okay,” she fluttered her eyes open and cleared her throat some, “I’m okay.”

I knew she wasn’t really, but didn’t press the issue. “I’m sorry,” I whispered to her, resting my head against hers and holding her close. “I’m so very sorry.”

And I was; for what this would do to us, what it would do to her, how it was going to change everything if they were my children. Her worries and fears and disappointment with the honeymoon was completely normal and if she was hunky dory then I would probably have been slightly worried.

After a few long moments of silence, I noticed her breathing had slowed and lifted my head to peek at her face. My poor angel had drifted to sleep and I couldn’t blame her. This whole wedding stuff was exhausting and I could feel myself teetering close behind. Snuggling up to her, I allowed my own eyes to drift closed, grateful that the exhaustion I was feeling quickly overtook all the worries in my mind and I was able to follow suit.

~*~*~*~*~

The following morning neither Eve nor I spoke much. I did call and cancel the plane tickets and island reservations, thankful we had purchased the flight insurance so it wasn’t a complete loss. The private bungalow we had reserved was a whole other story and I would be eating the canceling fee for weeks.

By the time we arrived downstairs to one of the large conference rooms decorated up to match our wedding colors for the brunch we were having with the out of town guests and our family, there was definitely a tension between us. I had stopped her before we’d entered the room and we’d both decided we would wait until after this weekend to speak with our immediate families about what was happening. No reason to spoil the celebration even if neither of us felt like celebrating anymore.

It was hard to put on a happy face for everyone and I wasn’t surprised when my mother took a seat beside me once most everyone was finished with their meal and moving about the room socializing. Eve had slipped over to where her grandparents were seated and that’s the chair my mother slipped into.

“So, what’s going on?” She questioned low, leaning toward me and propping her elbow on the table and her head on her fist so she was angled my way and in a more private position for the conversation.

I paused in the bite of fruit I was eating and met her eyes. “Huh?”

My mom sent me the look she does best; that one that tells me she knows me better than I know myself and isn’t going to be placated with feigned dumbness.

I sighed some and set my fork down. “I can’t talk about it here.”

“Where can you talk about it?”

“Tomorrow; once everyone’s left to head home and the wedding weekend is over.”

My mother arched a brow. “You’re going to be on your honeymoon tomorrow.”

I just arched my brows back, shrugged and sent her a look then took up my fork again, determined not to say another word until Eve and I, together, talked to my mom and her parents.

My mom’s eyes widened and she leaned closer, her voice dropping to a hushed tone, “Alex, what is going on?!”

I shook my head as if to say ‘not here’ then looked as my wife joined us and took the chair on my opposite side.

“This isn’t working,” she said low to me. “I think we should tell them.”

I shifted my gaze to my mother who was trying not to be too obvious about eavesdropping on us then back to Eve. “I thought we agreed we’d wait till tomorrow.”

“Ideally, but my sister is going on and on about how much fun we’ll have in The Seychelles and I can’t lie to her face knowing we’re not going.”

My mother gaped and leaned in toward us. “You’re not going on your honeymoon?”

I sighed and sent my wife a look thanking her for spilling the beans then turned toward my mom. “That’s what we were going to discuss with you and Eve’s parents tomorrow.”

But Eve didn’t seem to mind whatsoever that her new mother-in-law now knew what was going on. She leaned around in front of me and looked toward my mother. “No, we’re not. Alex called and canceled the entire trip this morning.”

My mother blanched. “Why in the world would you do that, Alex?”

I guess Eve’s annoyance with the situation was coming out. “Because something came up and this really isn’t the place to discuss it,” I replied.

“What could possibly come up that is more important than taking your wife on a honeymoon?”

I watched my mom then looked to Eve; she just drew a shoulder up in a nonchalant manner. “Mom, I know this is really shocking to you,” I began, turning back to my mother who was watching me with a look like I’d just killed a puppy, “but please trust me. Once you find out what’s going on you’re going to understand.”

“I don’t know.” She sat back some shaking her head. “I don’t think there’s anything short of an illness that would make me understand.” A pause. “Neither of you are sick, are you?”

“No, we’re not sick.” I reached and squeezed her hand.

“You know I’m not going to be able to wait until tomorrow, Alex. This is going to really bother me.”

Eve watched the two of us a moment before speaking up, “Maybe we should just tell them.”

I blinked at her. “Now?” When she nodded, my brows furrowed. “I don’t think I want to announce it to the room. And there are quite a few people here who do not need to know.”

“Well, I’m not going to lie to my family.”

“You don’t have to lie.”

“I can’t tell them the truth.”

I sighed. “Eve…”

“No, you know what? Forget it.” She shook her head and rose from her seat. “I’m going to go upstairs and pack; checkout is at one and I have quite a bit to gather up.” Then she turned and strolled from the table and toward the door, disappearing into the hallway and out of sight.

I met my mother’s eyes. “You better go after her.”

And with that, I was on my feet and following the path she had blazed.

I caught up with her at the elevators. “Eve.”

“I don’t want to hear it,” she spoke with tears in her voice. Her arms were wrapped around her waist and she was staring a hole into the closed elevator doors.

I smoothed a hand over her back. “I know it’s disappointing and upsetting and I’m so sorry.”

“You keep saying that,” she glanced to me with teary eyes, “I know you are, but it doesn’t change how I feel. I can’t help but be upset that we don’t get to go on our honeymoon because you have to do a DNA test to find out about children you may have with someone else. Or that you aren’t going to be able to relax and enjoy yourself with your wife because you’re too worried about what’s going on with those girls.”

I sighed and ran a hand over my face. “I know and I’m not expecting you to be Positive Polly and be all smiles and accepting of things.” I gently took her arm and led her into the elevator as the doors opened, sending a wayward glance toward a gentleman who looked like he was listening just a little too closely to our conversation.

“Then what are you expecting?” She reached and pushed the button for the floor we were on.

I waited until the doors had closed and cut us off from the lobby before answering that question, “At least understanding and support. You told me that we’re in this together; for better or worse. You still wanted to marry me and that, together, we’d get through this.”

Eve sniffed and wiped under her eyes. “I’m trying to be understanding, but I’m not perfect.”

“I know you’re not.” And then I pulled her into my arms and hugged her tight. “You’re perfect for me, though. And I will make it up to you.” I tipped her chin up so our eyes met. “That’s a promise. You’re going to get your honeymoon and you’re always going to be so very important to me; always. Nothing and no one can ever change that.”

She relaxed in my embrace and rested her cheek against my chest. “I’m gonna do the best I can, but you’re going to have to give me some time to work through how I feel.”

“I can do that.” I held her tight and kissed the top of her head. “I’m going to do whatever it takes to keep this working between us.”

“I will too,” she spoke muffled against my shirt.

I smiled at that and we rode the rest of the way to our floor in silence.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading. :)